collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where to buy supplies in a store  (Read 343 times)

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Where to buy supplies in a store
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »
Hey, all!  I'm thinking about trying to customize and rehair my first pony, but I HATE waiting for supplies...

Are there any stores that offer a rehairing tool and hair that is like the hair you can get from dollyhair??

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy supplies in a store
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »
The tool can be a simple as an X-acto handle and a sewing needle with the tip of the eye snipped off.  (cut several at a time)  The hair, never seen decent quality in a store.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
yeah you can use lots of stuff for hairing, but ive yet to find anything DH quality off the intrawebz. maybe try yarn rehairing (theres a great tutorial in here somewhere) to take the edge off while waiting on an order? or pop into the trade thread for hair, trades on the arena get delivered way faster. =]

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
Seconding the use of microfiber acrylic yarn for rehairing powder-puff style, but yes, you will have to actually order hair off the Internet.

If you're underage, maybe you could get a parent or adult sibling/cousin to order for you and pay them back?

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »
If you want something to practice with before using the Dollyhair you can try several different kind of things.  I actually first bought some Dollyhair to rehair a Jem doll.  I started rerooting her and realized I might be doing it wrong.  In fact looking at it now I know I was making the strands too thick but I wouldn't have known that then.  I did stop after a little while when I realized that something wasn't right about the way I was doing it because I seemed to be making things too complicated (I guess I like doing things the hard way lol).  I decided to go to a beauty supply store that sold weave hair.  There are all different kinds and textures and prices.  I bought some really cheap stuff ($.50-$1.00) and some nicer ones ($7.00).  I learned a lot using that hair and practicing a bunch on other dolls.  The nice thing about it is that you get a lot of product for the price.  It's super long and you get a ton of it!  Bad thing is that it can be harder to style sometimes and some of them aren't the texture you might be looking for.

Here is a Rio head I rerooted from store bought hair. (was turning him into Riot)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also my first custom pony I rehaired with the cheapest ($.50) hair.  It's not for everyone but for this custom I like it.  I made her for myself.  It's a bit perfume puff like in looks.

I used the dollar store (Dollar Tree) hair on this custom.  Not the best hair quality but there are a lot of different colors.

You can also buy the curly doll hair in bags at craft stores.  The colors are limited but it does have you okay condition hair that is precurled (they are really tight curls). You can usually find the colors white, black, brown, red, yellow, blonde.

Dollyhair is better though but experimenting can be fun and you can learn a lot about the different materials by using them.

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
Ya'll are so talented and helpful!  You've given me so many options; thank you so much!  Since being laid off from my teaching job due to Illinois' lovely budget crisis, I am dying to keep myself busy.  What a better way to keep busy than to dive into customizing? ;)

Offline Eluluu

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 01:58:20 PM »
aaw sorry to hear that. my besties been trying for YEARS to get a teaching position. you can guess how well that's going. >.<

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
aaw sorry to hear that. my besties been trying for YEARS to get a teaching position. you can guess how well that's going. >.<

It's so ridiculous!  I thought I had totally lucked out when I got my certification, because the place I had been subbing for had an opening for a high school business teacher (which is what I'm certified in).  I got right in, worked for two happy years...aaaaand then the district ran out of money and had to cut from the bottom of the totem pole...and being a primarily elective teacher - and the teacher with the fewest years there - out I went!  Ugh!  I feel for your friend.  There's absolutely nothing out there even available to try to apply for!  Maybe when March rolls around, more things will be popping up.  Best of luck your to your friend!!!!  It'll happen one day :D

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
It's usually not the same quality as the stuff you can get online, but you're in luck that Halloween stuff is starting to hit the shelves - pick up a Halloween wig (there are LOTS of colors available!) to use as a donor and go to town! ;)

Are you absolutely determined to use the rehairing tool?  If you don't mind rerooting by sewing it in (needle and thread method?  I don't know what the official term for it is) all you should need is a large-ish eyed needle (the longer the better, in my experience), some dental floss and a reasonably sturdy pair of needle nose pliers.  This method takes a little longer and if your plugs are too thick can cause a tiny laceration on your "pulling pinkie" after too many repetitions, but you don't need to worry about constructing the tool, the hair tends to be in a little bit more firmly and I personally find it weirdly therapeutic.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »
For a rehair tool, I use a drill for models... like in the model section, the exact same tool that DH sells exists, but it's a hand drill... then I just make my own needles. It's the same price as DH too, like $10-15, but it's sturdy metal, super nice....
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »
Add one of these to the re-hair tool.  Easier on the hand and helps klutzes not stab themselves as easily.  :)

http://www.therapyshoppe.com/category/P1856-squishy-jelly-pencil-grips-latx-free-sensory-diet-tool
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
Heya Gusty!  I know that this isn't exactly what you asked for, but I did want to let you know that you can buy Apoxie Sculpt/Clay, x-acto pin vises (the ones you use for re-hairing) and tons of other customizing supplies (sorry, no hair or needles though) at CRM Hobbies @  5101 Eichelberger St, St Louis, MO 63109 @ (314) 832-4840.  Chris is the owner of CRM and he is super friendly and helpful and sells Apoxie for the same price as the website minus shipping.  He knows all about my pony customizing and has helped me with ideas for different mediums, etc.

Off Topic - I was talking to Iris (she lives in our area as well) and she is wanting to get back into customizing.  We should have a little customizing meet sometime this fall.  :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
You guys are the most helpful people ever... I have so many options to try!! 

Heya Gusty!  I know that this isn't exactly what you asked for, but I did want to let you know that you can buy Apoxie Sculpt/Clay, x-acto pin vises (the ones you use for re-hairing) and tons of other customizing supplies (sorry, no hair or needles though) at CRM Hobbies @  5101 Eichelberger St, St Louis, MO 63109 @ (314) 832-4840.  Chris is the owner of CRM and he is super friendly and helpful and sells Apoxie for the same price as the website minus shipping.  He knows all about my pony customizing and has helped me with ideas for different mediums, etc.

Off Topic - I was talking to Iris (she lives in our area as well) and she is wanting to get back into customizing.  We should have a little customizing meet sometime this fall.  :)

Thanks for the location!  I will have to check it out sometime :D  I love new places.

...And yes.  Yes, a customizing meet must occur!!  Let me know what days work for you...I, obviously, am free almost whenever, lol. :D

Offline Eluluu

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »
mmm customizing meet.... must have one near Chicago! *waves from the distance*

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »

Ohh I'll have to visit there too!

And heck yes!! That would be awesome.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal