collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I was afraid this would happen...  (Read 1137 times)

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
I was afraid this would happen...
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »
After years of selective collecting, I've finally come to the conclusion that I want to complete the vast majority of the G1 sets. (& then G2. & then G3...)
My herd currently numbers 23, so I've got one heck of a long journey ahead of me. :lol: But I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable one, & MLP has always had a special place in my heart, so I know I'm never going to grow out of it.
So who else has gotta catch 'em all? How close are you to completing your collection? How many years has it taken you? Does anyone own ALL the store-released G1s from a certain country? Does your wallet hate you yet?

Share your stories! :happy:
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: I was afraid this would happen...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »
*points to the motto in my avatar*  Oh yes, my wallet isn't speaking to me.  I've been collecting since the beginning (with some breaks when I really couldn't afford it).
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline BabyMedley

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »
I *was* a completist until lack of space made me re-think it. I still want all the G1s and certain other subsets of other generations though. But life, catching the Nirvana bug and G4 have distracted me! After I finish some projects I'm going on a G1 buying spree.
BabyMedley

I'm at almost 2,500 ponies!
Former Chair of Equestria LA
Follow me on Twitter: caycifish!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
I told myself I wasn't going to collect g1's. Maybe just a few I really liked. And the big brothers.

Maybe it was the lack of new g4's, or nostalgia. Who knows.

I got Bubbles, Sunlight, Snuzzle and Bluebell in the mail today.  :blush: I actually fell in love with restoring beat up ones. It makes me feel twice as happy. First I get an awesome pony (YAY!) then I get to bring her back to her former glory :D (YAY!) And hopefully save them from ever being thrown away. I am planning to show them at the County Fair next summer as a collection. I like to share my collection with others, it makes them feel so happy remembering their pony friends.

I am starting with the early years (only missing Minty from year 1 and 4 from year 2) then working my way down the line. (Don't tell my husband ;) )

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
I have relatively short wishlist, but I add or remove a pony now and then. I don't really care about having a complete set. If I like only one pony from a set, I'll get just that one. If I happen to like a whole set, I'll get a whole set.
When I started collecting I had thoughts about having all the G2s, but I realised it would be a waste of time any money since I like only some of them enough to actively look for them. If I saw a pony I don't like that much at, lets say, flea market for cheap I'd probably get it, but this is not the topic anymore and I feel like I'm not making any sense :P

gypsyunicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 12:14:35 AM »
funny ...ok so my story begins with it's kinda like a potato chip , you can't have just one?! I got my show stable along with Bowtie, and Blossom, and my lemon drop and a minty plushy Windy given to me from my paents attic way before the g3 ever were released. I wondered about them so researched eBay only to go down memory lane of playing with other ponies at friends house and remember wanting them...so I bought them with only wanting unicorns, then adding Pegasus, then finding dream Valley, which lead me to Pony Finders, which led me to Arena, which led me to seeing all sort of ponies...now I am a collector only missing about 12 or so G1 USA not counting sea pony but that counts mail order. I have g3 and g4...I have merchandise...and I finally found my 1st porcelain which has me wanting those , yea definitely potato chip theory here

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 05:20:02 AM »
Lol - I started the same way.

First it was "I want just the ponies I had as a little girl"; then it became "well just the ones I really like"; and then "how about I just have 1 pony from each set"'; then "I think I should complete some of the sets I really like because otherwise the single ponies get lonely"; after that I threw my hat in and just went ALL THE PONIES :P

I have a complete US and UK/Euro collection minus the harder to find version of Baby Princess Sparkle [she continues to elude me]. And, minus 10-12 items [which are impossible to find lol] or so, they are complete with accessories. Its taken a long long time and a lot of trading to get some things. But even when I get Baby Princess Sparkle, there are still a selection of ponies I would like to upgrade, I also have 2 armies and an addiction to all MLP combs which means I think I have more combs than ponies lol. So even complete there is something to collect!

There are more collectors with complete collections than you would expect I think :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »
I also started with just getting ones I wanted, but then that odd one in the set is lonely so you have to get another in the same series and then another and another, etc. XD

I originally was focusing on just TE and SS ponies but then TAF happened and I love the little windy wings and then flutters really ARE cute... I have a ton on my list now. Definitely like chips!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
See now, I don't think there is such a thing as a complete collection because there are too many nirvanas and one of a kinds.  Therefore unless you hunt down all those unique ponies you can never have a truly complete collection, therefore I feel good about NOT being a completist because it would drive me crazy trying.  'Cause if I am going to complete, I need all of them!  :D

I'm only collecting the ones I like and I have a pretty small collection.   I do like to complete certain sets like the perfume puffs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »
My goal was to complete the US Collection. I was able to attain it in just under 7 years. :) I also had all the main ponies in the European collection... as in excluding nirvanas. This took an additional 2 years, though I had many of the Euro ponies from buying lots to complete the US collection. Then I sold it all!

Have fun!

Offline UnicornTamer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Everypony needs Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Dreams
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »
I'm not going to get them all, though that would be cool, but I have extremely limited space, and we move a lot, plus like no money, so yea.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »
Slug, do you ever regret selling?  I completed a mib Lady Lovely Locks doll collection and then sold all but my favorite one.  Sometimes I miss them, but then again I feel like I met my goal and its okay to let them go.  I might buy the originals someday again but not the whole set. 

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »
I'd love to have all US store g1's and mo's. I'm not very close to completing this goal. It's taken me 10 active years... My wallet doesn't hate me, I buy ponies when I've saved up...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »
I'm one pony away from a complete US collection; Baby Gametime you WILL be mine!  After that I'll focus on UK, I only need a few set completers and the complete set of roller-skate ponies and then I'll be done with that as well.  I collect all gens and there are still plenty of G2, G3 and select G4 that I need to track down.  I am also a MOC collector so plenty to track down there too.  I will be collecting for a long time yet!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 03:37:47 AM »
I am no were near having all the ponies that I would love to have someday. I also am not set on getting all of the ponies. There are some poses that I really do not care for and some that I just cant afford and will never buy. I enjoy coming along a good deal when I am pony shopping :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal