collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To the doll collecters- instead of Equestria Girls  (Read 4739 times)

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
Re: To the doll collecters- instead of Equestria Girls
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2013, 05:14:07 AM »
They would have been launching a line that would be pretty unfamiliar to kids and most parents, which is always pretty risky. They'd have to spend a lot of time and energy redesigning Jem to be relevant in this day and age--because face it, Jem is pretty dated-- which means spending a lot, because time is money.
This was my immediate thought as well.  I always imagined that Jem took place in the not-so-distant future when it was originally broadcast, which would be roughly around the present day.  It is so utterly, completely 80's that to change it would change everything that makes it so great.
Hasbro is probably also really reluctant to reboot Jem because yeah, the cartoon seems to be getting a lot of viewership today, but so did the cartoon back in the eighties. The dolls failed spectacularly. And if the dolls didn't sell well back in a time where toy companies didn't have to worry about digital media stealing their customer base, they're not gonna sell well in the mega competitive market of today where that is an ever present reality.
I think that if the dolls had been able to share clothes with Barbie, they would have done better.  At the time Jem came out, there was really only two options for fashion dolls - Barbie, and Barbie-clones.  With Jem, playability was limited because you couldn't just swap clothing with the dolls you already had.  Your dolls could only wear other Jem clothes, and while it didn't matter if the outfits matched because it was the 80s and nothing matched, unless you bought fashion packs or other Jem dolls, you were pretty limited.

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2013, 05:47:46 AM »
Moondreamers.

I loved Moondreamers even more than MLP as a child. And I still do and I would be crazy about a new doll line for them. Or Lady Lovely Locks, or Rainbow brite.

*sigh*

I loved Moon Dreamers more, too! I had a huge collection of them. Man I wish I still had them, such fun toys. I had Dream Central, and that thing was super addictive to play with in the dark :) I'd have freaked out if they'd brought Moon Dreamers back <3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Issame

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »
[content removed ~ please see previous mod note ~ hathorcat]

That said.. I was *really* disappointed with the attempt to revamp Rainbow Brite.  I grew up in that era: adoring Rainbow Brite, Pound Puppies, Care Bears.. And to see my _favorite_ flop horribly made me a little sad.. Specially when so much was poured into another area.  Even half of the attention tossed to RB would have made her re-appearance rock!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:40:33 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
I was *really* disappointed with the attempt to revamp Rainbow Brite.  I grew up in that era: adoring Rainbow Brite, Pound Puppies, Care Bears.. And to see my _favorite_ flop horribly made me a little sad.. Specially when so much was poured into another area.  Even half of the attention tossed to RB would have made her re-appearance rock!

This.  A Stormy made like the 80s prototype would have sold AMAZINGLY well...they obviously knew enough about the line to know that Tickled Pink and Stormy were desirable characters (Moonglow would have been nice, too) but they lacked that appeal that the original series had.  It was like they tried to turn Rainbow Brite into Sailor Moon except not as cute as Rainbow Brite or as awesome as Sailor Moon...

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »
It was like they tried to turn Rainbow Brite into Sailor Moon except not as cute as Rainbow Brite or as awesome as Sailor Moon...
Lololol.  This, completely. I cannot express how much I like this statement.

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2013, 08:30:30 AM »
*sigh* Okay...

...It's a well known fact to anyone whose seen or heard my opinions these boards, that I am a fan of Hasbro's 80's girls brands. My little pony 'n friends, Jem and the Holograms, and Moondreamers (Glo Friends and Potato head kids were cute, but eh) Except for Jem, these shows did have limited character development, and some silly plots.

But they had excellent character designs that could still stand up today (with a little tweaking), and actually had villians around most the the time who were serious or semi-serious threats. Long before Sailor Moon began twirling her wand around and purifying monsters (Another awsome show I love, btw) Megen and an army of female ponies were saving ponyland from the apocolaypse nearly every week, Crystall Starr and her moondreamers protected thechildren of the world from the Witch Scowlene and her nightmares, and Jerrica Benton was sucsessfully running her own record company, and keeping it out of the hands of that scuzzball Eric Raymond. these were girls who, given the limited restrictions at the time, would in thier own way, kick butt.

Yes, I am a fan of G1 over G4. I prefer the anime-sque stryle of the old hasbro shows over FiM's, but I give the new shows points for having better character devlopent. I think the old toys look better, but that's a prsonal opinion and is probably wrong anyway. Now, what would I love to see in a perfect world? A moondreamers revamp to compete with Sailor Moon at the end of the year, a Jem revamp as a modern pop star with a secret identidy. And a new MLP show, seperate from FiM, set in ponyland with most of the orginal cast and Megan, fighting Tirac and the witches and other villians again on a weekly basis (I have some ideas myself on that one I may post elsewhere), but none of these things are probably going to happen, so I just like to share my ideas and see what other pony fans think, ok? ^_^ I don't hate FiM, nor Equestria girls, it's just there are those of us who miss what is gone, and will probably never return.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:34:11 AM by Firehooves »

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »
They would have been launching a line that would be pretty unfamiliar to kids and most parents, which is always pretty risky. They'd have to spend a lot of time and energy redesigning Jem to be relevant in this day and age--because face it, Jem is pretty dated-- which means spending a lot, because time is money.
This was my immediate thought as well.  I always imagined that Jem took place in the not-so-distant future when it was originally broadcast, which would be roughly around the present day.  It is so utterly, completely 80's that to change it would change everything that makes it so great.
Hasbro is probably also really reluctant to reboot Jem because yeah, the cartoon seems to be getting a lot of viewership today, but so did the cartoon back in the eighties. The dolls failed spectacularly. And if the dolls didn't sell well back in a time where toy companies didn't have to worry about digital media stealing their customer base, they're not gonna sell well in the mega competitive market of today where that is an ever present reality.
I think that if the dolls had been able to share clothes with Barbie, they would have done better.  At the time Jem came out, there was really only two options for fashion dolls - Barbie, and Barbie-clones.  With Jem, playability was limited because you couldn't just swap clothing with the dolls you already had.  Your dolls could only wear other Jem clothes, and while it didn't matter if the outfits matched because it was the 80s and nothing matched, unless you bought fashion packs or other Jem dolls, you were pretty limited.

Actually I feel the reason they didn't last was their price, according to everything I've read. Since her earrings lit up and she was larger she was more expensive than your average Barbie doll. Despite that Jem actually did good at first. It wasn't until Mattel released Barbie and the Rockers that there was a problem selling. At least when MGA copies a concept they don't end up killing the original line.

I believe Jem could be made relevant to today's audience. A pink haired secret popstar? They could move the setting to high school and make her like a crazy cross between Hannah Montanna and Lady Gaga. And for all we know they could be developing something as we speak. They keep things under pretty tight wraps so who knows.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Ivaness

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »
I honestly believe anything could be relevant to today. I would watch a JEM remake in a heartbeat, regardless of content. I once had an opportunity to buy some Jem dolls, I really should have. :(

Although, I wouldn't want Jem to be in high school... Keep it the same show as it was, but ... different at the same time?

I know Hasbro isn't Rainbow Brite, but it made me weary of remakes. I don't understand why they took away the Color Kids. I wish I had my Rainbow Brite collection at my house to apologise to them on Hallmark's behalf.

pineapple

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »
I believe Jem could be made relevant to today's audience. A pink haired secret popstar? They could move the setting to high school and make her like a crazy cross between Hannah Montanna and Lady Gaga. And for all we know they could be developing something as we speak. They keep things under pretty tight wraps so who knows.

See that's what I was thinking, they want an HS property and they could have Jem and the Holograms be an improbably succesfull garage band, play different genres, themed costumes for each doll, licensed costumes where they dress like famous bands, etc. I think that could be a really big hit in the tween-early teen market.

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »

Actually I feel the reason they didn't last was their price, according to everything I've read. Since her earrings lit up and she was larger she was more expensive than your average Barbie doll. Despite that Jem actually did good at first.
As I was about 8 or 9 years old when the dolls came out, I can't comment on the price point.  I was speaking from the experiences of my friends and I.  I had several Jem dolls, and it was pretty annoying to be playing dolls with my friends with a doll that was limited to two or three outfit changes, while their Barbies had beautiful gowns and casual wear.  In our neighborhood, it wasn't long before Jem dolls ended up left behind in favor of Barbies. 

Oh, believe me, I'm not saying that the cartoon and dolls couldn't be made relevant, just that they're very dated in their original forms and concept.  At the time Jem came out, computers were just starting be accessible - our elementary school had ONE Commodore computer- but to a huge amount of people they were still the equivalent of magical boxes of technology, which is why the plot worked.  Found a giant computer in a hidden room with earrings that project a hologram of your secret identity?  This worked back then, when kids weren't brought up with the same technology they get now.  You'd have to change so much of what made/makes Jem so awesome that it wouldn't be nearly as truly outrageous as it had been.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »
As we saw in the Equestria Girls movie when Flash Sentry showed Luna how "photoshopping" works (*insert air quotes here*), technology doesn't have to be realistic in a kids show. ;) I think Jerrica could totally have a hologram projected over herself to disguise her as Jem, and kids today would accept it as making sense in the world of the cartoon show.

I agree that taking the exact same Jem cartoon from the 80's and trying to make it work today might not be very successful. But I don't think they would have any trouble making it new and relevant and popular with today's kids.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »
I know Hasbro isn't Rainbow Brite, but it made me weary of remakes. I don't understand why they took away the Color Kids. I wish I had my Rainbow Brite collection at my house to apologise to them on Hallmark's behalf.

There were plans to add the Color Kids later (now called the Color Wave Kids) but thanks to a lack of marketing, they failed before they had a chance.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Ivaness

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »

There were plans to add the Color Kids later (now called the Color Wave Kids) but thanks to a lack of marketing, they failed before they had a chance.
What was wrong with "Color Kids"?! I miss the 80s/90s. (Since I'm a late 80s baby, but my sister educated me well.)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »
I think the reboots would have been interesting of Jem and Moondreamers!

It seems like Hasbro already had a successful franchise that had fans outside their target demographic (children) that would also like the dolls (adults). Therefore a built-in sub franchise they could go after, using characters that were already established. The tie-in marketing would be good for them, and they wouldn't have to launch a whole new line, since the ponies and EQg would grab fans from both those who weren't into MLP yet and MLP adult and children fans. It was a lot less work for a big return when it came to launching a new line. Because the two lines could feed into each other.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2013, 12:51:56 AM »

What was wrong with "Color Kids"?! I miss the 80s/90s. (Since I'm a late 80s baby, but my sister educated me well.)

The only thing I can think of is maybe there were trademark issues. Lalaloopsy was originally "Bitty Buttons" but they had to change it because there was a company that made kids clothes that was using the name. It's not that out there to think that there might be something else that is using the name "Color Kids".

I actually liked the dolls but like I said they didn't promote them well and the web series had really bad animation
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:54:17 AM by Wardah »

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal