collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any carousel lovers around?  (Read 3395 times)

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Any carousel lovers around?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 05:27:45 PM »
i love them, thanks so much for sharing, they are just so beautiful, i just love all that kind of stuff, hence my name :)
one day i will have a ride on one, glad to see i am not too old :)
also it reminds me of my favorite scene from The Lost Boys :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »
Wow! real hair tales?
I think I've been on one or two with synthetic tales that where cut quite short.

Unfortunately the local fair doesn't have a merry go round most years but I'm very fond of them.
Wow I have never seen a synthetic one, I shall have to keep my eyes out for em.

Good luck with that I'm England based!
Unfortunately i do fear that the horses might of been replaced with time or simply get swapped out for a different company.
They are unfortunately unlikely to have such permanence here than over the pond.
Trust me they are few and far between here. I am lucky that I live in the North East and so we have a bunch left.

i love them, thanks so much for sharing, they are just so beautiful, i just love all that kind of stuff, hence my name :)
one day i will have a ride on one, glad to see i am not too old :)
also it reminds me of my favorite scene from The Lost Boys :D

There is a great link - http://carousels.org/NCAcensus.html you can find out if there are any by you, or where you might be traveling.  We try and look for em when we go new places.  I am glad you enjoyed em.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »

Found this one while searching for the best carousel I was ever on, in the National Mall in Washington DC:

(backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »
Such lovely carousel pics!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »
I have always loved carousels.  I used to sit and pick out the exact horse I wanted when I was waiting in line, then I would rush to get that one.  I always named them before I was done.  One of my favorite carousels is at the Indianapolis Children's Museum, we used to go with my grandma and all my (many) cousins every summer.  The Denver Zoo has a pretty cool one too, with endangered animals.

:lovey:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
I adore Jane's Carousel. It is so beautifully restored. Everytime I'm in the DUMBO area I take a spin. I'll never forget riding it at sunset. PTC are some of my favorites. There used to be one at a mall near me but sadly it had to move due to space and rent issues. I wonder where it is today?

I've never been to the Coney Island one. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'll have to visit it one day.

Speaking of Sandy, I still have yet to visit my childhood favorite the Moreland Dentzel/Loof carousel since it was hit by the storm. I read reports that it was okay but I definitely want to check it out myself before the seasons over.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:37:34 PM by Foxtale »
~Foxtale~

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 12:35:33 AM »
Another fan of old school, wooden carousel animals. My hometown of San Diego,CA. Had (still might) a wooden one in Sea Port village. A downtown tourist area. The animals where original ones from the turn of the twentieth century.

My two favorite type of horses have always been the rose one and the knight's charger. Second favorite is any odd or quirky animals. That cuddle fish one wins! Best unique one I've ever seen.

If I had the money and space, I'd love to own an original carousel horse. Yes some of them did and still do have real hair tails.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline KermitGreen82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • JennyLou Creations - My Etsy Shop
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 07:17:21 AM »
I love them too. I always have to snap at least one picture when I see one, no matter how beautiful and intricate or small and simple. I will have to look for some pictures and upload them.
Looking for a dress for a talking Rainbow Brite doll from the 80\'s (around 18\") in good condition with decal.

Visit my Etsy shop! Jenny Lou Creations https://www.etsy.com/shop/JennyLouCreations?ref=si_shop

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
I adore Jane's Carousel. It is so beautifully restored. Everytime I'm in the DUMBO area I take a spin. I'll never forget riding it at sunset. PTC are some of my favorites. There used to be one at a mall near me but sadly it had to move due to space and rent issues. I wonder where it is today?

I've never been to the Coney Island one. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'll have to visit it one day.

Speaking of Sandy, I still have yet to visit my childhood favorite the Moreland Dentzel/Loof carousel since it was hit by the storm. I read reports that it was okay but I definitely want to check it out myself before the seasons over.
Foxtale, let me know if you get to go check it out?  We where rather worried about it.  Also the NCA Convention for 2014 is NYC! 

Rosen, love that fish and someday I want to see that Carousel, actually would love to see many more.  I still need to make a real life list so I know just how many I have managed to ride so far.

:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
I rode it as a child, Diamond. The hippocampus, naturally. I loved Greek mythology as a child so much.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »

Foxtale, let me know if you get to go check it out?  We where rather worried about it.  Also the NCA Convention for 2014 is NYC! 

I promise to let you know! Although it doesn't look like I'll get a chance to visit it before the season is over. :(

NCA Convention is in NYC? I've never been to one of the conventions... are they open to non-members? How much is it to go? What kinds of things are there? :D
~Foxtale~

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »
Finally getting over here today! These are stunning! I have ideas swimming through my brains now. :P

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
I absolutely love them! My grandmother is to thank for that! She collected those musical box horses and had a book called The Carousel Animal that I now own.

Sorry in advance for the photo spam.  :blush:

Coralridge Mall, Iowa. Their website says its a turn of the century reproduction

Washington DC -Allen Hershell Co. Circa 1940s

Ella's Deli-Madison, Wi -1927 C.W. Parker Carousel
Was wearing a skirt that day so got to ride it side saddle. I was the only person riding it the operator was have a good laugh at me with my friend who took the photo :blink:

Now I could fill an entire website with these...
House on The Rock- Spring Green, Wi
This man collected hundreds of horses and mounted them on the walls and had carvers hired to build his own carousel largest in the world not a single horse on it. While the walls are covered with antique pieces. In way I find slightly depressing because I don't think they've been dusted since they were mounted....

I've been on so many more in my lifetime I know I've been on the one at Walt Disney World however I'd need to dig out photos and scan them which is a slow process I've been doing with the family photos in general. Haha didn't realize I even put them in order of visits minus the mall so you can see my progression in weight loss  :green:
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
How awesome would it be to paint a carousel horse? I've always wanted to do that.

The Calgary Zoo has a pretty cool carousel with all kinds of animals. I rode it in a fursuit once. :P But my favorite carousel of all time was only around for a short time when I was a kid. It was at the Calgary Stampede, and it had real horses. :lovey: I miss that ride so much...
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:28 AM »
How awesome would it be to paint a carousel horse? I've always wanted to do that.

The Calgary Zoo has a pretty cool carousel with all kinds of animals. I rode it in a fursuit once. :P But my favorite carousel of all time was only around for a short time when I was a kid. It was at the Calgary Stampede, and it had real horses. :lovey: I miss that ride so much...
back in the mid 90s it was popular to take kids plastic jumper horses throw them on a lamp post and paint them up. My mother has 3. One was my grandmas and one is mine which matches the ugly pink room I had.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal