collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you ever felt like you wanted a real pony?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever felt like you wanted a real pony?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 06:36:07 AM »
Totally not interested in owning a real pony/horse. But....if they came in pretty colours, were no more than 18" high and house trained then I would consider getting one!

pixieponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »
yes  :biggrin: so i bought one (my excuse is she is for my kids)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 06:56:11 AM »
I've never had the urge to have a real pony.
I guess the thought of the responsibility is too much for me...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 07:17:10 AM »
I wanted one as a kid and a tween-  then I got one!  (Bribery for moving). 

Turns out they are a lot of work.  They want as much attention as a dog, you have to rake their poops and take them out very regularly for activity (or they get cranky and bored and sad).  They also are super social (like all equines) and so you can't keep them by themselves- you have to get a SECOND pony or horse- or keep them stabled somewhere that has lots around (expensive). )

ALSO the price of good quality food is somewhat shocking, and vet bills are seriously no joke.  Vaccines are actually not so bad if you can do them yourself (thanks vet supply) but equines tend to have assorted issues relating to their feet and eating the wrong thing - and colic- and getting old- sometimes stones-  all of these things require emergency vet visits that are CRUSHING, just crushing expensive. 

That said- I loved my pony- even when I outgrew him and got a horse.  He was such a silly little thing- a bit ornery as many ponies tend to be... but tough too.  He would actually CHASE dogs down and try to step on them (that is a good thing because where I used to ride there were unfenced dogs that would sometimes run out and bark and nip at his feet). 

Oh- and they live a VERY long time too.  Poor shadow was over 40 when he finally died- I guess he was on the old side, but they usually live into their 30s- so that is a big commitment!   

Hmm, so what's my point?  Ponies are great friends but wicked expensive and a lot of work.  I'd steer clear unless you were more than fully committed and had a savings account already started for his food and vet bills... and you wanted a very time-intensive hobby.

This.  Just this.  I had horses as a child... SO MUCH WORK.  And so much money, it's not even funny.  If you can't "afford" to toss $1000 out the window regularly, an equine companion is not for you. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:38 AM »
I have a couple of horses and they are messy, destructive, expensive little angels. I'd sell off every MLP I own (and many other things besides) to keep them if I had too. Keeping equines is not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. It's not something to be entered into lightly and is indeed a lifetime commitment. This is my mare, Magic:

Magic's BLM freeze brand by xhuxhurocket, on Flickr

No good pics of my old gelding on flickr as yet, but he's another BLM Mustang.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
I wanted one for almost my whole life. Now that I am almost 30 I don't have that want anymore. I know they are a lot of work and time.  Plus with my Allergies it would be hard to get them there hay. So I will enjoy others horses and pictures that I see around town and on the internet. 

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 08:35:35 AM »
Owning a pony (yes, a pony as opposed to a full size horse) has been a lifelong dream for me, and although I'm 30 now and realize they require more money and time than I can provide, I'm still pony crazy!

Offline Brandi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »
I have 3 real ones(horses), and boy are they expensive to own! At least the plastic ones don't like to eat, lol! I'd honstly sell everything I own for them though.
Here's My silly girl Haven.

And her mom Moondust is in my signature. I don't have any pics of my gelding readily accessibly on this computer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:22:41 AM by Brandi »

Moondust ,Cremello Quarter Horse = Equine love of my life

Offline loser

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 09:59:22 AM »
I always begged my parents for a pony when i was a kid - we lived in Detroit, so obviously that never happened.  I remember i always really wanted a gypsy vanner, or a fjord, or just a pretty spotted mare  :silly:
I have an uncle who lives on a ranch a few hours away, so sometimes during the summer i go visit and he lets me ride his horses. Good enough for me.  :)

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »
I have a real horse, but I'd love to have a real life My Little Pony! Megan makes me so jealous that she gets to play with all the little ponies and ride Wind Whistler and Firefly.... I wouldn't trade my baby girl for a rainbow-haired pegasus, but I'll take one if I can just *have* one lol

And yes, real horses are unbelievably expensive. Every dime I have goes toward my girl. Thankfully my boyfriend bales and cuts his own hay so I can save a little there! Once we have an arena she'll be at our home and I won't have to pay board.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:06:14 AM by Star_Glow »

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »
Yeah, I really did quite want my own horse as a kid, I even had one as an imaginary pet

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »
I have a real horse, but I'd love to have a real life My Little Pony! Megan makes me so jealous that she gets to play with all the little ponies and ride Wind Whistler and Firefly.... I wouldn't trade my baby girl for a rainbow-haired pegasus, but I'll take one if I can just *have* one lol

And yes, real horses are unbelievably expensive. Every dime I have goes toward my girl. Thankfully my boyfriend bales and cuts his own hay so I can save a little there! Once we have an arena she'll be at our home and I won't have to pay board.

Megan XD I *almost* forgot about that girl!! And for some reason, for the longest time, I though her name was Robin! XD I have no idea why. But yes, boy oh boy was I jealous of her! Oh to be in a land of colourful baby ponies who adore you! :P

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
I'm with Moon Flower!!! 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline mlpkatie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »
I do have horses of my own... 4 actually. The Haflinger is one of my favorite breeds too! I grew up in the G3 age, and when I was little MLP made me want horses. I did get a little upset that we couldn't find a purple pony with blue hair, but my plain ol bay pony was just fine :P

Heres my first baby, Flicka. I got her from a farm that my parents found with her for sell. It was right after school when we went to go get her, and as soon as I walked up to her, she nickered at me and she put her nose by my hand to be rubbed. I use to race barrels on her in 4H. Now, I just ride in my field a lot, and go to fun shows when they are in my county.

Peanut (back) and Snooki (front), my two shetlands :) I got Peanut from my old trainer, he said if he wasn't sold in the next week he was going to be put down or sent to the slaughter house. So I saved him, and he is the sweetest thing ever. We got Snooki from an Amish action, and when she came out into the auction ring, I fell in love with her.

And Flicka's mule child, Foderwink. We got him from the same farm we got Flicka. At first, the lady wouldn't sell him, but finally she decided he wasn't very much use to her so we got him :)

Sorry for the long reply, I just love my ponies and how we came to be :)

Post Merge: August 23, 2013, 07:46:06 PM

I always begged my parents for a pony when i was a kid - we lived in Detroit, so obviously that never happened.  I remember i always really wanted a gypsy vanner, or a fjord, or just a pretty spotted mare  :silly:
I have an uncle who lives on a ranch a few hours away, so sometimes during the summer i go visit and he lets me ride his horses. Good enough for me.  :)

I always wanted a gypsy or fjord too! They are so gorgeous :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:46:06 PM by BabyPosey »

Offline cadance89

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 11:44:07 PM »
My little pony horse :)

We go out hacking a lot too but no-one takes photos of us there sadly!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal