collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sticky Pony?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
Sticky Pony?
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:23:25 AM »
Received my first g1 from a trade today, Confetti! She's in pretty good shape, except for a weird stickiness I can't seem to get rid of. It's been really humid here these past few days, so I figured she was just a little funky from sitting in a bubble mailer. Her neck seam was really loose so I popped it off just to see if she had the same issue inside.

Unfortunately, she did  :huh:

I scrubbed her down with Dawn, but as I was drying her off I noticed her inside was no better. So I gave her a second scrub, which seemed to do a bit better of a job, but there are still a few tacky spots. She's sitting out to dry right now, but I need some advice.

What's the likelihood of this being the dreaded plasticizer breakdown as opposed to just a weird ick? Just trying to keep her in nice shape! Thank you! 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:25:17 PM by Moss »
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • That's Saki-samagic!
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky Pony?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
If there's still some odd spots after 2 scrubs, I'd assume it's some bad ick.
I'm not sure, but I'll give you a bump for people who are better with these things. ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

flyawayraven

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »
That sounds like a plasticizer leak unfortunately. :( If it was just on the outside I'd say she just rolled around on something, but given that she's sticky inside too, the odds are not good.

Is she also starting to feel hard in places as well?

Here's an older thread where someone had the same issue with BB Quarterback: http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=295043.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:33:46 AM by flyawayraven »

Offline Moss

• Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41:05 AM »
That sounds like a plasticizer leak unfortunately. :( If it was just on the outside I'd say she just rolled around on something, but given that she's sticky inside too, the odds are not good.

Here's an older thread where someone had the same issue with BB Quarterback: http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=295043.0
Her hooves and legs (especially where the legs meet the body) are pretty hard, but I wasn't sure if that was just how g1 plastic was. I guess only time will tell if I'm gonna end up with a rock pony or not.

Thank you!
link

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
Sounds like plasticizer to me too!  :yikes: Good luck with her!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:16:55 PM »
If u remove her tail due to the metal and pour a little rubbing alcohol in her, then replace the head and cover the tail hole and shake it around inside her, then rinse it should help a lot.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Moss

• Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
If u remove her tail due to the metal and pour a little rubbing alcohol in her, then replace the head and cover the tail hole and shake it around inside her, then rinse it should help a lot.
That's a really good idea, thank you! I was thinking about replacing the clamp and washer anyway, since there are a few little spots of rust forming.
link

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 04:34:24 PM »
Yes sounds like plasticiser to me too unfortunately :( She is prone to it and age marks of course.

Rubbing alcohol is not the best idea due to her glitter; but after she has had a good soak, I would wipe her outside with a degreaser [some thing like the pads you would use to remove eye make up] avoiding the symbols and then wipe her over with baby powder. The baby powder does not stop the breakdown but it delays it tremendously - just keep an eye on it and renew every now and again.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

flyawayraven

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »

Her hooves and legs (especially where the legs meet the body) are pretty hard, but I wasn't sure if that was just how g1 plastic was. I guess only time will tell if I'm gonna end up with a rock pony or not.

Thank you!

Yep that's unfortunately a tell-tale sign of plasticizer breakdown. :( G1 ponies, especially the early ones like Confetti, are super squishy while the plasticizer is intact.

She will eventually turn rock hard throughout but you've gotten some great tips to slow it down! I have a handful that I received after their plasticizer fully decayed and they're like paperweights. I think my poor Boysenberry Pie can now double as a hammer! :blink:

Offline Moss

• Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
Yes sounds like plasticiser to me too unfortunately :( She is prone to it and age marks of course.

Rubbing alcohol is not the best idea due to her glitter; but after she has had a good soak, I would wipe her outside with a degreaser [some thing like the pads you would use to remove eye make up] avoiding the symbols and then wipe her over with baby powder. The baby powder does not stop the breakdown but it delays it tremendously - just keep an eye on it and renew every now and again.
I actually found some pre-packaged alcohol wipes that I used, and it seemed to help a little. They also didn't seem to effect the symbols too much, and I think they're weaker than bottled rubbing alcohol. The baby powder seemed to work as well!

Thank you!

Yep that's unfortunately a tell-tale sign of plasticizer breakdown. :( G1 ponies, especially the early ones like Confetti, are super squishy while the plasticizer is intact.

She will eventually turn rock hard throughout but you've gotten some great tips to slow it down! I have a handful that I received after their plasticizer fully decayed and they're like paperweights. I think my poor Boysenberry Pie can now double as a hammer! :blink:
Yeah, at first I didn't think it was too bad, but then I squished a G3 for comparison. I know it's different plastics, but I think Confetti could probably do some damage if used as a weapon.

I almost wish there was a way to speed it up rather than slow it down! But either way, as my first g1 she'll have a special place in my herd once she finishes her ick stage. Flaws and all, she's lovely!

One other question, I'm guessing I should keep her away from other ponies/ plastic things?
link

Skitterbug

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »
I'm the one who sent the pony and I want to chime in that she wasn't actually sticky on the outside when I sent her, so I'm wondering if the heat and humidity could have triggered plasticizer breakdown? She may have been tacky on the inside as I don't remember opening her past when I initially received her, but her outside felt fine to me.

If the heat and humidity can trigger or speed up plasticizer breakdown that's kind of concerning. Would shipping G1 ponies rolled in baby powder help prevent them from getting sticky in transit?

(and I'll be honest, I didn't actually notice the cut forelock and that is 100% my bad!)

I don't think plasticizer breakdown is contagious from what I've read, but you may want someone with more expertise to answer that question

Offline Moss

• Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
I'm the one who sent the pony and I want to chime in that she wasn't actually sticky on the outside when I sent her, so I'm wondering if the heat and humidity could have triggered plasticizer breakdown? She may have been tacky on the inside as I don't remember opening her past when I initially received her, but her outside felt fine to me.

If the heat and humidity can trigger or speed up plasticizer breakdown that's kind of concerning. Would shipping G1 ponies rolled in baby powder help prevent them from getting sticky in transit?

(and I'll be honest, I didn't actually notice the cut forelock and that is 100% my bad!)

I don't think plasticizer breakdown is contagious from what I've read, but you may want someone with more expertise to answer that question
It's been the type of week where every envelope sticks together when you get the mail, so I'd have to imagine that's the cause. I wonder if those silica packets would make any sort of difference?

(and no worries about the trim, I only noticed it myself in the de-stickying process! I don't really like the forlock look too much, anyway.)
link

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »
you can try some talcum powder as well , that might help with the sticky part.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 05:16:16 AM »
Yes unfortunately the plasticiser is a result of the plastic breaking down - that can be sped up by temperature or even the plastic "sweating" when packaged.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal