collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you feel about every generation (+fakies)?  (Read 1084 times)

BowtieG1

• Trade Count: (0)
How do you feel about every generation (+fakies)?
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:39:06 AM »
After seeing the favourite/least favourite thread I thought I'd make one where we can just say what we think of each Gen.

G1: My personal favourite, very diverse, with tons of poses, characters and cute themes (did I word that right?)
   Favourite G1 pony: Bowtie (shocker, I know!)

G2: I think that there is definitely something about them that I find rad about G2, I'm not sure if it's their eyes or what, but I find them sort of adorable. They look a bit like giraffes though... I haven't bothered adding any of these to my collection, not yet.
   Favourite G2 pony: Not got one.

G3: I love G3 almost as much as I love G1! They're diverse (at least until the *gasp* Core 7) and I love how effeminate they are. I like the loong hair as well :).
    Favourite G3 Pony: Royal Twist (Pretty Patterns Pony)

G3.5: I don't dislike them. They're sort of absolutely adorable, but hideous at the same time? I wouldn't want any of them in my herd. Absolutely not, but I can see why people like them.
    Favourite G3.5 Pony: Mom Pie

G4: Meh. I want the Mane 6 and a couple of extra ponies that I like but I could really not care less about Blind Bags, collectible figures with 'show accurate hair', or the current boys pose (what is that hair..?) I adore the show though.
    Favourite G4 Pony: Rarity

Fakies: I absolutely love fakies of all shapes and sizes! I have more fakies than genuine ponies and my collection just keeps growing and growing!
    Favourite Fakie: Wonder Pony Land Pretty Horse Set (its HUGE!)

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about every generation (+fakies)?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:10:12 AM »
Ooh, this is a fun thread idea!! :D

G1: I love them. :lovey: I love the way they look, the way their bodies are shaped, the way they're so unique and soft and pretty and I just love them. I've always found looking at them or playing with their hair very therapeutic and without a doubt they are my favorite generation. :heart:
Favorite G1 pony: Oh gosh oh gosh! I have no idea!! I love so many of them ;A;

G2: I only have one G2, but I think they're pretty cool! I really love some of the color combinations they have, although they're a bit small for my taste. They're still pretty cute to me! ^w^
Favorite G2 pony: Clever Clover

G3: I grew up on G3, so perhaps I'm biased, but I love G3 a ton! I have just one of my childhood ponies (Sunny Daze pose Kimono) in my collection and I love her to pieces. :heart:
Favorite G3 pony: Kimono

G3.5: I actually kinda like them! At first I didn't, but after getting one in my hands it was a different story. They're adorable in their own special way, I think.
Favorite G3.5 pony: Toola-Roola

G4: I'm alright with G4, I suppose! I love the show to pieces and without the show I wouldn't have become a pony collector so it holds a special place in my heart uwu
Favorite G4 pony: Rainbow Dash

Fakies: Admittedly I'm not big on fakies and I usually end up using them for custom bait... but that doesn't mean they're bad! Some fakies are super adorable! uwu
Favorite Fakie: The backhair ponies! I've always wanted one, haha... :lol:
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:20:58 AM »
G1: I love them and always will. I love how they cute and round. And of course I grew up with them.
G2: I never liked them, I thought they were to skinny. I stopped collecting when they came out.
G3: I was so happy when I saw them in the store for the first time! I bought them all and had a very big collection of them. I still do have a lot of them. I will always like them :)
G3.5: Do not like and will not collect.
G4: I did not like them at first and then broke down and bought one in 2011. Now I have a very big collection of them and will collect all that I like.

And Fakies: I don't collect them. I had a few when I was a kid but did not really care for them. 

Offline darlingfaerie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »
G1s: I ADORE them! I've played with them for as long as I can remember. I inherited my sister's collection, :P Which wasn't very big at the time! My dad also bought them for me on ebay, he and I would watch auctions and I'd do the bidding and contacting of the seller (under his supervision, so he helped me!) I think we started buying them when I was like 8 ! Hahahah
Favorite G1: Fizzy! Or Wind Whistler & North Star!

G2s: I received a few of them for my birthday/Christmas but I was never big on them even when I was little. I LOVE some of them though, my G2 collection is well loved. ;)
Favorite G2: Ivy

G3s: I LOVE them, they also came out when I was younger so I collected them for a looooong time! I'm not an active collector of them anymore but I will always love my collection. <3
Favorite G3:  Fizzy Pop (I still collect her!)

G3.5: Yeeeeah, no! Hahaha

G4s: I like the blind bags because I love surprises, but mostly I'm not too big into them except for a few brushables!
Favorite G4: Fluttershy / (Fizzy Pop, I desperately want them to make her a brushable!)

Fakies: I'm not big into fakies, but they're super cute!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »
G1 - Love love love. My original collecting.
G2 - Was so excited when it was coming out, it came out, failed to wow me in the US, UK got all the good stuff, still love it, but barely have any pieces.
G3 - Love it, got a lot when it came out, sold some, still love it
G4 - Love it, but only parts. Like I love brushables, eh on blind bags.
Fakies: Some are cute! I love the Dollar Store babies, I have one with an apple and I always stick her next to Applejack

ETA to add favorites!

G1 - Yikes..that's hard. Um, NSS North Star. Night Light. Bow Tie.
G2 - Princess Silver Rain, Moonshine, Silver Glow, Diamond Glow etc
G3 - Candy Apple, Waterfire, Pumpkin Tart, Royal Beauty, Shenanigans..
G4 - Luna, Lyra, Trixie, Zecora, Lily Blossom..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:29:12 AM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 07:30:30 AM »
Great thread!

G1: The ones I grew up with and my favorite gen.  I love their sweet faces and they are the perfect size and texture for cuddling.
Favorite G1s in collection: Quackers, Baby Rainribbon, Rapunzel, Scribbles, Dabble
Favorite G1s Ever: All above plus Nightlight

G2: I started out not liking them at all because they looked so different from G1.  I was also in late middle school/early high school when they were being sold in stores here so it was kind of a stigma at the time to buy a lot of new toys.  (This was also around the time I started heavily collecting G1 secondhand so I was fully focused on that.)  I've grown to really like them now and am actively hunting for a few.  Though I'll never be a G2 completist, there are several that I'd like to have and I like how small they are and how easy they are to display!
Favorite G2s in collection: Princess Crystal, Princess Twinkle Star, Princess Silver Swirl
Favorite G2 ever: Princesses Golden Glow, Silver Glow and Copper Glow with wings

G3: I liked these from the moment they first hit stores, but I was only going to get one (Kimono) and that was going to be it.  I've culled several G3s from my collection over the years but I still have a large under-bed container filled with them. 
Favorite G3s in collection: Kimono, Princess Peppermint, 2010 Fair Pony, Minty
Favorite G3s ever: Same as above

G3.5: Really don't like these except for the Newborn Cuties.
Favorite G3.5s in collection: Newborn Cuties
Favorite G3.5s ever: same as above

G4: I love them and am actively collecting!  I'm not interested in all the variants of the Mane 6, but I love all of the individual brushables and the Aurora plushies!
Favorite G4s in collection: Blossomforth, Star Swirl, Zecora
Favorite G4s ever: same as above plus Minty

Edited to add Fakies:  Not a fan of fakies much at all.  I do collect the Strawberry Shortcake Strawberryland Fillies but I consider them part of SSC and not actually fakies.  I did hold on to a couple of the light-up Buddy L fakies for a long time but finally got rid of those, too.
Favorite Fakies in collection: SSC Strawberryland Fillies
Favorite Fakies ever: Same as above
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:09:17 PM by Dewprincess »

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:28:02 AM »
I love the idea of this thread, no us against them just plain simple opinions on gens  :biggrin:

G1 I always have and always will love my G1 regardless of what generations come out. I can't remember what got me into them but nothing ever surpasses my love for G1 ponies within my collections. (Obviously I love my boyfriend more than ponies hahaha)
Faves; Gusty, Peachy, TE Bright Eyes

G2 Don't like don't own I don't know what it is but I think they are horrid yuck end of for me, there are maybe three i would consider owning but never enough to actually buy them.

G3 Lots of pretty ponies, not enough unicorns, some lovely scented ponies, but they got a bit samey towards the end.
Faves; Pinkie, Port O Bella, Fluttershy

Ponyvilles I love them right now and am making a Ponyville haven haha so cute
Faves; Minty with socks yaaaaaay

G3.5 No No No and...No

G4 I like some of them, I own three, only interested in certain ponies and not particularly bothered with FiM which for me will never surpass the joy I had as a kid/youth watching G1 pony films.
Faves; Luna

Blind Bags I have some but no shops sell them in my area so I don't bother buying any apart from once when i got some off ebay.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:29:56 AM by ravengusty »
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Cherry_Sunset

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:20 AM »
G1: I was not around when G1 was active, but now that I've started collecting, they do feel very 80's-ish, and have a lot of spunk! However, some of them look a little chunky, and I think that the shy pose ponies look sad. There is the most diversity in this generation.

G2: I don't have a G2 in my collection yet, but it's not because I don't like them. I really like their body shapes, and Silver Swirl (I think that's her name) is one of the most beautiful ponies I've ever seen. I think they tried being more bold with the colors.

G3: I do like G3's as well, but I think that there are more ponies that I wouldn't collect as opposed to the ones that I do want to collect because of the boring color scheme. I don't even have a unicorn yet because they hardly made any!

G3.5: I dislike most ponies in this generation, but the TAF Rainbow Dash doesn't look that bad, and neither do the mommy ponies. But most of their faces look like ducks and I just can't fall in love with many.

G4: This is my main generation here. The ponies that they have out right now are simply delightful! Though, I think they have made too many pink unicorns, and that they need to diversify a little bit. They especially should try more colors in the hair instead of Dashie being the only one, I think they could make some really stunning ponies that way! They really need to make more brushables, and the blind bags are difficult for me to keep up with, so I'm only collecting the ones I really want. I really do like the Funko versions of the ponies.

Fakies: I actually call these "phony ponies"! They are among my favorites, because there are so many different types, and they can be very charming  ^.^ They can also be used as cheap bait for when you don't want to use a real pony but they have a stolen mold. The Magic alicorn fakies are my favorite, as well as the Dollar Store babies. Some fakies are so hilariously bad that you just have to fall in love with them!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »
G1 - Probably my favorite toys, mostly for the better quality and more poses. I also like the little gimmicky things like So Softs, Twinkle Eyes, etc. And the baby G1s are so precious!

G2 - I love these ones, too, and sadly I only have three of them (and a plush). I really want more. And I do love the babies for these as well, despite not having any. I rarely ever find G2s, hence why I don't have much.

G3 - Another generation that did well on the quality control. G3s tend to be very well-made, and like G1, they have a lot of different poses.

G3.5 - I don't like them as much as the others, but I don't hate the at all! They're pretty cute in their own way.

G4 - I like them, but I wish they were a little larger and had better quality control. Often I'll open a G4 mint out  of its box and there'll be a speck of dirt or a dent or some other thing wrong with it. When I got my first TRU favorites set, every pony (aside from Nightmare Moon) had hair that felt really slippery and looked REALLY shiny. I still don't know why they were like that... Though, G4 is what got me into ponies!

Fakies - Eh, it depends on which ones. I don't like fakies that have really bad quality or don't look anything like any generation of MLP. Even when I do find a fakie to be cute, I'm never able to keep it since I don't have any room for fakies.

EDIT:

I forgot to include my favorite ponies for each generation! Silly me! :P These are my favorites out of my collection, ones I don't have are not included.

G1 - Hippity Hop, who I only got two days ago.
G2 - Petal Blossom
G3 - Waterfire
G3.5 - Cheerilee (I love her hair!)
G4 - I'm not sure. My favorite FiM character is Twilight Sparkle, but that has nothing to do with her design, only her personality being like mine, and I'm deciding who my favorite pony toys are based on design and such. I guess out of the toys, my favorite is either Flower Wishes or Lyra, that's only deciding by design.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:54:15 AM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • That's Saki-samagic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:45:47 AM »
G1: Love G1. I will always try to keep what's left of my childhood hand-me-down collection
Fave G1 pony: Cartoon? Probably Baby Ribbon. As a toy, Lady Flutter.
Tales: I know Tales is technically G1, but the cartoon is such a design change that I put it separately. Again, love it.
Fave Tales pony: Either Clover, Melody or Starlight.
G2: I like G2, maybe not as much as the other generations, but they have their charm and one day I'd love to own a few.
Fave G2 pony: Probably Baby Swirly, or maybe Sky Skimmer.
G3: I like G3. Never really watched the movies, only a select few (Princess Promenade and Friends Are Never Far Away)
Fave G3 pony: From the movies would probably be every single Pegasus that appeared in Friends Are Never Far Away, the cloud one in particular. As a toy? I have multiple. Desert Rose, Blossomforth, Star Catcher and Sky Wishes.
G3.5: I think G3.5 is ok, but I'd prefer the toys over the cartoon.
Fave G3.5 pony: I have none.
G4: I really like G4, just not some of the people in the fanbase behind it. Again, it has it's own charm. One of my bigger parts of my collection.
Fave G4 pony: LOTS. Luna, Fluttershy, Rarity, Star Swirl, Cheerilee, Lily Blossom, Feathermay, Blossomforth (Again), Plumsweet, Cherry Pie, well basically pretty much every non show brushable. And Sugar Grape, Cherry Spices, Bumblesweet, Honey Bumble (or whatever she's called, can't remember.)
Fakies: OHMYGOSHILOVEFAKIESSOMUCH
Fave fakies: Lady Babies. I strive to own more, but at the moment I only own one.
EDIT: IFORGOTAPONY!!! Twinkleshine from G4. No, not the show version, the toy version. Because PINK.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:47:51 AM by iSparkle »

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:03:12 AM »
G1 I  grew up with these so they are  my bsolute favorite ones. i love how there so differnet.  and  so  many of them! soemthing so simple can bring so much happyness.  when i got bakc into collecting i tried to get as many as i could.  they are justhe right size.

fav g1 pony well i have two. ones kingsley and one is sprinkles.

g2 for awhile i couldnt get into g2  i just couldnt get over how "stick like" they were.  there  skinny and not like  ponys to me..   but i did end up getting a few from the thrift store and a ton from the flea market. i dont actiavly seek them out i have a couple mocs. but if i find one at a good deal i'll pick it up.

Fav. dont have one.

g3 i love g3! i have a ton of htem! ther all brightly coloered! i have a ton of them. they are easily  my second favoirte release.

3.5  1 have a couple of them. 

g4 i'm sitll  not  fond of the stickish ponys (yes i call them stick ponys) princess celstia nightmare moon pencess candace. they  look reminensce  of g2  as there flat and stickish.   i did endup  getting one (dad bought it for me)
and i have a ton more g4..lol  most is MIP  there all over my  walls.  i have almost all the first wave just missing lily blossom. i dont even bother  getting main Six unless is  soemthing intresting  (or comes in  a double  pack)  i only get the uniquie ones. i have  the ones wit tinsel and a couple with   the masks. but thats aobut it.  i also have the castle.  and a couple funkos. i have to say though  that i'm not impressed.. the qaulity of these things is very upsetting.  they arent made as well as the  old ones  and it shows.  they just reuse the same mold over nad over instead of creativity. 
i do NOT like blind bags.

Fakies. oh i have  a lot of  these lol  i   love Fsf fantasy fillys. STrawberry shortcake! i'm only missing the green  horse kiwi i think.. and chocolate chip and i'll have them all ^^
i love the hard plastic  carsoul looking ones that have the colored tails. and i have some awesome looking  ones.

otherwise the acutly fakes no thanks. i dont liekt he chapmeis or anythign like that.  i just  liekthe ones that look like mlp

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »
G1: Favorite, hands down. I like how soft and gentle they look. I really just like everything about them.

G2: They're fine toys but aren't very MLP to me. The quality wasn't very good and I didn't like most of the designs. It lacks the spirit of G1. Sky Skimmer's in my collection though because she just surpasses most G2s to me. She's gorgeous.

G3: I think they were an awesome marriage of the classic G1 MLP look with modern toy trends/aesthetics. They're so expressive and fun. At least pre-core7, anyway. Then the line went downhill FAST, no originality, no spirit.

G 3.5: Stop no.

G4: I think the show's great but dislike the toys. They have the same sort of unimaginiativeness as G2 to me.
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • That's Saki-samagic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »
Sky Skimmer's in my collection though because she just surpasses most G2s to me. She's gorgeous.
Can I just say how much I agree with you on this? Some G2s would probably look better in a different generation style, but some look like they're genuinely G2 and would have that skinny-type build in anything.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »
I can't pick favorites, but...

G1s: I love their build, gentle faces, gentle curves. They look so kind. There's so much variation among all the different G1 ponies- from the neon-bright Rockin' Beats to the pretty Flower Fantasy girls, to the creative mechanized ponies, like BnGs, Dance and Prance, and Happy Tails. There's also something really special about cleaning up a G1 pony to make her look brand new again.

G2s: I don't own any yet! I never find them at thrift, and I just haven't dipped my toes into buying them online. There are many of them that I think are just gorgeous, though. I don't see as much pose variation, but there are still a lot of cool ideas used in G2.

G3s: The shape of the G3 ponies is very nice; it's similar to the G1s, although they don't feel so gentle. They have a lot of spunk, and a lot of variation in their expressions. I'm not as fond of some of the pink/purple/white color combos, I think because they all blend together for me. I don't have one, (and certainly don't have the space for one) but I love the massive styling size for ponies.

G3.5s: I actually think 3.5 ponies are very cute. They don't look very equine, and there's not much variation, but they look happy and cute. There are plenty of them that I've put bids in on (and lost to G3.5 collectors I guess!)

G4s: Also very cute. I'm a fan of the show, so I love having some of the characters in toy form. The lack of variation really saddens me. For brushables, there are two general poses for every race of pony. (Legs on the ground and one left raised.) I'm kind of burnt out on them, but there are still a handful that I'm really glad to have.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »
G1: It's my favorite generation for the toys. I like how cute and chubby they are. Also, since they're from the 80's, it brings an ever greater appeal to me. They're diverse and have a good naming / cutie mark system. The first time I got to hold a G1 pony toy I could feel me stress melt away because of how soft and cute they were. I can't wait to get more and clean them up and give them a happy new home with me.

Favorite G1 pony: Night Glider

G2: G2 appeals to me because they are slender and different. I really love.. slender things in general. Some of my favorite G4 designs are my favorites because they're more long and slender than the rest of the ponies. It gives it a realistic touch. They're not my favorite, but I still like them a lot.

Favorite G2 pony: Princess Silver Swirl and Sky Skimmer

G3: These were the ponies that were out when I was younger. I remember them dearly, and was surprised I was able to name off G3 toys easily even after not studying them the way I did with G1. What I don't like about G3 is their names. They just.. they're very odd compared the the simplistic style of G1 (and I realize other Gens have weird names in them too, but G3 stands out more to me). I don't care for core 7 at all, and prefer what came before that.

Favorite G3 pony: Starcatcher (with normal pegasus wings, not the big blue ones)

G3.5: I don't like to talk about it. I don't care for babies, or shows about babies. I think its weird, but thats probably because I'm older. I don't like the toys either, it's like a weird.. 'Chibi' thing with he odd bodies and big heads.

Favorite G3.5: Mom Pie

G4: This is what rekindled my Pony love from my childhood. I prefer the show to the toys, but the toys are what I collect the most. It's very cute, I like the characters, I like the adventures and stories. Season 3 was painful for me because I didn't enjoy it much, but I expect Season 4 to be better. And I wish Lauren Faust was still around to help oversee everything.

Favorite G4 Pony: Vinyl Scratch / Dj Pon-3

Fakies: Some are cute, some are.. not. I don't collect them so I don't have a favorite!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal