collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you actively collect ponies?

Yes, all of them!
29 (22%)
Yes, but only the ones I like.
74 (56.1%)
No, but I might pick up one everynow and then.
24 (18.2%)
No.
5 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Are you an active or retired collector?  (Read 3007 times)

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Are you an active or retired collector?
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 07:37:37 AM »
Aw, this thread's a little sad to me. Seems like the older collectors are retiring and MLP is being overtaken by Bronies.

In the last few months so many members of this forum who joined around the same time as me or before have disappeared. Yeah... it is pretty sad! Unfortunately the way pony collecting is these days can't suit everyone!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 08:07:31 AM »
My sister and I had a few ponies each as kids in the 80s and shared a pile of garage sale ponies. We could never agree who the garage sale ones belonged to. When I started dating my husband back in 2006, I asked her if I could keep the ponies so his daughters could play with them when they came over. She agreed, and that's how I tricked her into letting me have the ponies! :lol: So I guess I became a collector then, and I really haven't stopped adding ponies to my collection since.

My goal is not to have every single G1, just the ones I like... but I like most of them, so I will be collecting for the rest of my life! I've recently been buying G3s, only the ones I like, and my youngest and I still play with them. She likes to display them on top of the toy cabinents in her room, and I display my G1 in a glass case in my room. It's getting a bit cramped, so I'll upgrade my case when we move probably next year.

Don't feel bad for my sister- she admitted later that she felt she outgrew our ponies. She likes picking up G1s for me when she finds them, and she's happy that the three ones she got as gifts when she was little live in a case with many new pony friends! ^.^

Offline BabyMedley

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »
I do collect, but my collection has focus. I only get certain characters to limit myself. I go in and out of G1-3 collecting though. Lately there has been so much G4 stuff that I haven't bought an older gen in 6-9 months.
BabyMedley

I'm at almost 2,500 ponies!
Former Chair of Equestria LA
Follow me on Twitter: caycifish!

Offline Rarityfan2011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »
I am a very active collector too.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »
I'm an active collector, but I only buy what I like, or bargain lots. Sometimes ponies from my 'NO' sets make it into my collection, but I only get them from lots, I don't go out hunting especially. I currently have 400 + ponies, and I've officially run out of room, so I'm going to have to slow down a lot now.... but the ponies keep arriving.. beats me how that keeps happening... :P

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »
I actively collect, some months are slower than others. I'm really trying to concentrate on set completers!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline London_Peaches

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
I went with "No" because I haven't purchased a pony in many years.

How it all started...
I had a whole bucket of G1s from my childhood in the 80s, and when I pulled them out in 2005/2006 I went online to research them. Long before mylittlewiki there was Dream Valley http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/. I scanned through each and every page to identify my girls. And then.. well, then I wanted so many others! I had pony fever, and I started buying  :P G1 only, of course. Soon after that my mother told me that she had a couple of MOC G1 babies in her closet which she had purchased years before, but never gave to me because at the time I had been moving on from ponies. What a treat!
After a few years of active collecting, I tapered off. A year ago I sold or traded "extras" I had gotten with lots, and now I am selling some more. The poor girls live in bins in my closet, so I am putting them back out into the pony world! It is tempting, though, to pick up a cherished G1 from time to time!
:heart:  Pony Pura Vida! :heart:

Offline fireglides

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Crazy Scottie Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
I get really into collecting off and on. I'm set to "on" right now. :)  Also, what I focus on collecting changes. Right now I'm into G3 and G4.
:good: Selling my collection -  take a peek! :nerdy:
   500 ponies - G1, G2, G3, G4 - includes Mail Orders, Comic Con, etc.

Includes other 80s items with more coming soon...

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »
I rejoined the arena to sell off some of my collection and pullips and ended being hooked on G4 and trading for ponies I really like. I feel guilty when I buy a new pony but I have so much catching up to do with the G4. I'm pining to get my hands on a Zecora.

I never stopped buying ponies at flea markets when I saw some, but the previous years I simply did not actively collect.
Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
Definitly active!!!! I will be for quite some time, maybe even into my thirties!!

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
I completed mi first year of collecting last month :)  so very active on the collecting, G4's and G2's are my favorite gens:)
I'm runing out of space in the pony room ,posters fighting for wall space now ,also the mlp comics wants wall space , so it is getting tight on wall space, and specially after deciding that I like the new ponies MIB now ,some still get open, but becoming a bit more selective on what makes it to this room now :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »
I am not really actively collecting at the moment... I have a small collection of about 100 ponies and I'm pretty happy with it the way it is, in all honesty. There are a couple G2's I'm still looking for, but otherwise I'm pretty much done. However, there are some upgrades I need, and I enjoy having complete ponies (I mean with everything, including the backcards and stickers!) so there are still some accessories and backcards and such I'm hunting for. I check eBay almost every day but I haven't bought a pony for me in... oh, probably about a couple months now. I have found several backcards and stickers though, which is great.

I have had a bigger collection in the past but it just gets to be too much for me. And now I just like to sit and enjoy the ones I have, rather than feel like I have to keep adding to them.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
I only collect specific ponies so there are long stretches where I don't get anything new. Either because I can't find them for sale or they're out of my price range (Nirvanas, heh). I'm always on the look out though and the longer it takes to find the ones I want, the longer I get to collect them ^.^

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »
Aw, this thread's a little sad to me. Seems like the older collectors are retiring and MLP is being overtaken by Bronies.

In the last few months so many members of this forum who joined around the same time as me or before have disappeared. Yeah... it is pretty sad! Unfortunately the way pony collecting is these days can't suit everyone!
I have to agree, there are older members that were quite active on here over the last few years that aren't so much anymore and they are missed... ::cough, cough, tuney::

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
I collect only what I like, but I don't buy that often. Only a few times a year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal