collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: cleaning so soft ponies and de flocking methods  (Read 624 times)

Offline lindsayrose1985

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
cleaning so soft ponies and de flocking methods
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:53:48 AM »
Hello.
I'm in the process of cleaning 300 ponies I found in my attic. What is the best method of cleaning the so soft ponies without removing the fuzzy flocking? Also being based in the UK I was wondering what is the best method of de flocking a pony without destroying their symbols? May try if the flocking is beyond restoration. Many thanks in advance :)
Hello, [you] i'm looking for so softs in need  of a little TLC :)

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning so soft ponies and de flocking methods
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:47:49 AM »
I recommend reading though hear-
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/

lots of good advice :)

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:39:48 AM »
Thank you :) will have a look. 

Post Merge: August 12, 2013, 06:43:16 AM

Where would I buy jasco from in the UK?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:43:16 AM by lindsayrose1985 »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »
Wow! Are they your childhood collection? Pretty cool to have so softs in a childhood collection in the UK when we did not get so softs over here. I guess you had some far travelling ponies :P Just goes to show how far ponies used to travel even 30 years ago!

You wont get Jasco in the UK - but its basically a paint stripper you will get similar products in Homebase/B&Q, etc. However use it with care - it is very very potent stuff and you need to use it in a well ventilated location, ideally with a face mask on.

I use sugar soap instead it works similarly but does not generate the same kind of fumes. You also don't need to dive right in to using harder chemicals, often if glue is in poor condition flocking will come off with a soak and scrub in super hot water followed up by acetone [not on the eye, blush, symbol area of course]. Its worth trying that before you step up to paint stripper.

As for cleaning them - the best advice is to be careful :) I know that sounds silly but the glue can break down to such an extend that a soft scrub can remove the flocking. I would suggest a gentle bath in tepid water, use the tips of your fingers to massage in a shampoo or toothpaste and then rinse. You can try oxy and you can use more aggressive cleaning methods but subject to the condition of the glue both of these could cause you damage to the flocking.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »
I use the dish soap that I have and a very small soft tooth brush. I work it in circle motion. It works really great for me :)

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »
I was a very lucky child.  My mother used to write directly to hasbro for ponies, that weren't available in the UK.  Or were special releases with play sets. Such as majesty.  :)
thank you for your help.

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:34 PM »
Wow! Are they your childhood collection? Pretty cool to have so softs in a childhood collection in the UK when we did not get so softs over here. I guess you had some far travelling ponies :P Just goes to show how far ponies used to travel even 30 years ago!

You wont get Jasco in the UK - but its basically a paint stripper you will get similar products in Homebase/B&Q, etc. However use it with care - it is very very potent stuff and you need to use it in a well ventilated location, ideally with a face mask on.

I use sugar soap instead it works similarly but does not generate the same kind of fumes. You also don't need to dive right in to using harder chemicals, often if glue is in poor condition flocking will come off with a soak and scrub in super hot water followed up by acetone [not on the eye, blush, symbol area of course]. Its worth trying that before you step up to paint stripper.

Sorry to bump in like this, but what exactly is sugar soap? I have been trying to deflock my truly but the painted areas are still a problem zone for me.

Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »
I've been using shampoo to clean my so-softs. I'll give dish soap a try next time I get one.

And wow, that's quite the childhood collection... You should definitely post some pictures when you get a chance.

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »
Sorry to bump in like this, but what exactly is sugar soap? I have been trying to deflock my truly but the painted areas are still a problem zone for me.

I Googled sugar soap because I too am trying to deflock a Truly (and Shady) and am at my wits and wrinkled fingers end trying to remove the flocking around the symbols. It looks like sugar soap is comparable to TSP in Canada and the US. I have some around the house to wash walls with before painting. It really removes any greasy residue from the walls. I bought it at a hardware store, probably Home Depot. I'll have to give it a try with my ponies soon.

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »
http://db.tt/w3QbuhKB (hopefully that link works) some of my ponies.  Some are new additions ;) like glory and a rather dirty surprise covered in pin dot ( managed to remove most of it) a lot of my ponies came from boot fairs and from presents so I just must of had some good finds and family over the years! I have recently started to collect again and can't wait to get some more fuzzy ponies :)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:46:44 AM »
Your childhood collection looks awesome! You must have been one very happy child!  :cool:

On the topic of deflocking. I just finished deflocking a Fifi and all I used was hot soapy water and then acetone. I wasn't quite careful enough around one of her eyes though and rubbed off a bit of her eyelash. :blush: Sorry Fifi!

I had never thought to use sugar soap! I even have some under the sink. I will try it on my Ribbon. Thanks for that tip Hathorcat! :)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:01:57 AM »
I was completely mlp mad!!
I'm  hoping to add a twist, fifi and a ribbon to my collection shortly (next week) fingers I crossed. So I can get de flocking!! There so bright and colourful under all that yellowed flocking!
Thank you for all your advice.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
WOW!  :dribble: Your childhoob collection is incredible!

Let's see who I can (try to) recognize... Red Roses, Bright Eyes, Moonjumper... Lovely ponies. :D

Offline lindsayrose1985

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
Thank you :D! My first pony is peeking out in the bottom right corner ....braided beauty b n' g :) I remember choosing her because she was my favourite colour green.  A few are recent additions but on the most part are all my originals.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
Canadians, looks for painter's pal. I found it at Walmart and Canadian Tire. Works great to get the flocking off and it's safe on the symbols -- just don't scratch too hard with your nail. Then once the flocking is off I use pure acetone. My tip is to do it outside it can get quite stinky.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal