collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 'ole timer has questions about G4...  (Read 1137 times)

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: G1 'ole timer has questions about G4...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »
I can only answer #3: Yes. Friendship is Magic, the show, is completely family-friendly.

I do have to correct Galactica: the show's creator isn't the same as Powerpuff Girls. That was Craig McCracken, a guy. The creator of FiM is the guy's wife, Lauren Faust.

Actually, Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust co-created PPG.  So Galactica's partially right. :)

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
Just set aside a couple hours an go watch it. :P From one old timer to another. Just DOOOOO it! Really entertaining cartoons in themselves.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
I think FiM is like a lot of shows and films aimed at kids now, in that it has nods to the adult audience, it has jokes that the kids wont get etc.
Yeah... I don't really agree to that.  No offense.

Sorry, it's just a massive pet peeve of mine; assuming kids won't get the jokes because they're kids, yet we did when we were kids, right?  I certainly did (I didn't get everything, but I got a lot more than todays kids are being given credit for).

Also, while I know that some children's writers really do try to be clever and put in things they think kids won't understand - I haven't seen any evidence of this in FIM, I can't really see any jokes that kids won't get.  And if you mean references to classic things, yeah, kids can know about them too.

Sorry for my rant, like I say - it kind of gets to me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:21:19 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »
I think FiM is like a lot of shows and films aimed at kids now, in that it has nods to the adult audience, it has jokes that the kids wont get etc.

Sorry, it's just a massive pet peeve of mine; assuming kids won't get the jokes because they're kids, yet we did when we were kids, right?  I certainly did (I didn't get everything, but I got a lot more than todays kids are being given credit for).

Also, while I know that some children's writers really do try to be clever and put in things they think kids won't understand - I haven't seen any evidence of this in FIM, I can't really see any jokes that kids won't get.  And if you mean references to classic things, yeah, kids can know about them too.

I dunno. I think very young kids probably won't get the Benny Hill, Blazing Saddles and 2001 A Space Odyssey references. :) Maybe that's the kind of stuff GothMummy means?
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »

I dunno. I think very young kids probably won't get the Benny Hill, Blazing Saddles and 2001 A Space Odyssey references. :) Maybe that's the kind of stuff GothMummy means?

To be honest,  I am 33 and I wouldn't get any of those references.

Domingo

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »
When did the "a few jokes for the adults = entire show not for kids" thing start anyway? Cartoons have been doing jokes for adults since their very beginning (look at the Looney Tunes or early Betty Boop) and that's never stopped kids from enjoying them.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »

I'd say that that makes me feel old, but I'm 30. XD

Edit: Ooh, husband also reminded me of the Big Lebowski reference.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:58:10 PM by reanna-mator »
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 08:50:34 PM »
Serial number, isn't it:

the first number represents the year (ie 3 = 2013)
the next three are the day of the year (ie 001 = first of january, there are websites that list these numbers for you)
and the last number may well be factory, but currently is always the same.

So my starswirl is:

20831 = 23rd March 2012 manufacture date

I am going to try hard to remember the answer to this, I always forget :P

Most people have covered the answers.

Just another quick Tao Bao note... it's basically Chinese Ebay. "Prototypes" are still not confirmed to be from factories but seeing as a lot come out right before a real release we can only assume they were taken out of the factory or subpar in quality and then re-sold.
~Foxtale~

Online MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 07:27:55 AM »

Some might.  It depends if they know them or not.  One of you kind of prooved this by admiting they were 33, and not knowing them.

It is possible to know things from before your time, just as it is possible to not know things from your time.  So when someone refferences a song or a movie or whatever, it is not aimed at an age - it is aimed at whoever gets it.  I know this because I got a lot of "old" movie references when I was a child, and they were the same kind of of jokes that people say kids wouldn't get these days.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal