collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you "Abuse" Your Toys?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
Re: Did you "Abuse" Your Toys?
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
When I had barbies I would always style their hair and cut them. But I was always good at it. :P

Offline Mori_LeStrange

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 05:55:01 AM »
I always took very good care of my toys. The worst thing I ever did with them was put the lipstick that came with one of them on them.

I remember crying when a TMNT toy I had broke while playing.

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2013, 06:43:18 AM »
I painted my old Guilmon action figure when I was little! I made him black and white hahaha! xD I think I painted Renamon too. I had a barbie doll I colored her hair red with sharpie, I think I named her Amish!! I also cut a tail off on of my Pukachu tomy figures....and I burried a shellder burger king toy in my sandbox and never saw it again! My friend and I used to slingshot our  pokemon/digimon toys in his backyard.  My friend dropped a legobox on his ocarina of time zelda and her head popped off! I used to cut pointy parts of my toys off with scissors....i dont know why. I painted another shellder toy with pearly pink nail polish and it ruined the plastic! Then I took some of my moms pearly blush and rubbed my pokemon toys in them to make them look pretty! :S hahahah I guess I was pretty bad to them but I loved them!

I kind of have a question I have been meaning to ask people, did anyone else's parents take their toys away from them so early? I wish I still had all my pokemon toys. When I turned 9 I came home one day to find that my parents threw all my toys out because nine was 'too old for toys' and I wasnt allowed to own any besides my gameboy. This was later revealed after psychiatric evaluation the cause of some of my development and depression issues (I loved my toys a lot-they were my only friends during divorce) and probably a reason I became an adult toy collector. I buy toys now since I moved out! I keep all my toys nice and neat now of course!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:46:21 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2013, 07:19:43 AM »
Aww sorry your toys got thrown out LT  :cry: I was upset when I had to give up ponies and other toys I was about fourteen/fifteen. Though my Dad didn't throw them all our he was sorting through my old cupboard and found some Puppy in my Pockets a couple of months ago (vintage ones hehe)

I once owned a doll, like a baby doll but with red hair and it was one of them that teaches you to tie your laces and stuff, well I'd had this doll for years as it was an early childhood doll. When I was eight I decided to watch tv while my Dad was asleep in the chair, Chucky was on and I watched the whole thing. I went to bed and noticed that my doll with red hair looked suspiciously like Chucky especially with only the lamp on so I er...threw him out the window (on a cold rainy night in Wales). He wasn't in good shape in the morning  :)
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »
My mom used to regularly make me pick out stuffed animals to get rid of. It was always so heartbreaking to have to decide who I loved the most. But other than stuffies, they let me decide when I was done with all my other toys. (At thirteen, when I decided it wouldn't be very cool of me to still be playing with my toys... I missed them a lot after that.)

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »
I was always really good to my toys for the most part. I mean, I took my ponies in the bath, but who knew that was bad for them? I did put masking tape around their legs when they "broke" them, as a cast (in fact, my Pony Bride still had one on her leg when I first took them out of storage!). And on my Jasmine "barbie", once I tried putting nail polish on her as eye makeup, then when I wiped it off (right away), it took some of her eye paint with it D: But other than that, I was good to my toys. My ponies had some frizz but no haircuts or the absolutely WILD standing up straight and full of knots hair that I see on kids' ponies. o_o;;

My parents never MADE me get rid of my toys. When I was in high school, they did ask me and my sister to go through our stuffed animals and get rid of ones we didn't want to keep. They'd been in storage in the crawlspace so it was an annual ordeal for a couple of years. We kept a lot more than we got rid of though... It was usually pretty hard. But I think the only toy that my mom gave away without asking was my Teddy Ruxpin, to my aunt who had little grandkids. I was in middle school when I found out and was kinda mad she didn't ask me.

She knew better than to touch things like my ponies though. ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:34:13 AM by lockette »
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
I kind of have a question I have been meaning to ask people, did anyone else's parents take their toys away from them so early?

Nope. No one ever took my things away or made me feel like I had to get rid of them. It was always my choice, and that's why I still have some of my childhood toys. I donated a ton of things to the DAV when I was in my early 20s.

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »
I've always taken a good care for my toys and stuff in general. We aren't wealthy (but not poor either) so I was raised to save, preserve and recycle as much as possible. It could be frustrating when I was younger because most of the kids around me had all sorts of gadgets - consoles, fancy computers and cellphones that costed over a half of average monthly pay check. Some of them even went shopping abroad regulary because number of the big brands available was quite limited at the time. Today, I find it useful and probably will even more when I start to live from my work.
But, back on topic
My parents never forced me to give away my toys. Every year we had a large house cleaning and we would go over all the stuff from clothes to toys and I would pick what I'd like to keep and what to give away. I still remember how horrified I was when my mum asked me if I'd like to give away my favourite plush, but now I think she was just joking because she knew how I loved him. I still keep him on my bed :)

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
For the most part I took pretty good care of my stuff.  Any damage was done just from playing outside and I took my ponies outside to play, because I was hardly ever inside playing.

I know my aunt had two boys and really wanted a girl so when I came along I got lots of babies and Barbies from her. I did play with then but not like I loved my ponies.  Barbie often was in shark infested water or pony stampede.  Ponies and littlest pet shop were the girliest I got.  My parents gave up on dresses when I was pretty young, I never would sit in the "properly" and I would rip any stockings to shreds.

The only thing I remember doing is cutting the hair on my
1985 Kmart Christmas bear who was my security blanket.  He still lives next to my bed and may end up in it when I need a bit of comfort. 

My sister claimed when I was 2 I ripped of her Ken dolls legs and pulled out two my little pony tails, applejack and lemondrop.  Either I was a very strong 2 year old or I suspect they where already loose and I took the blame.

Oh and a big Opps on my behalf, I was 5-6 ish and my parents had a karosean heater, and I had a brand new puff a luff.  Well I sat him on the heater not knowing better and he went puff.  I do know I was very very upset about this though.

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »
Yes and No.  My toys were all very well loved but if you give a child a hair cut, they might decide that their beloved toy also needs a haircut to match.  One or two of my ponies got the highlighter treatment when I was figuring out how letters worked.  They were well-loved, but also adventure ready with battle scars to go tromping through the woods with me and play in the dirt and and be used as projectiles, etc.  Ponies are very sturdy toys. Barbie wasn't much good for adventures.

Funnily enough my older brother had an army of donatellos, but none of the other ninja turtles held up for him, just the Donatellos. P:  So we'd have like 16 donatellos and a war veteran raphael and leonardo.  Even the "broken" toys still actively participated in our shenanigans. We were pretty dirt poor after I turned 6 so the toys we had basically lasted through me and my brother and then my younger siblings.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:44:55 PM by elvenwine26 »
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal