collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which is the best rehairing method?  (Read 365 times)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Which is the best rehairing method?
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
I thiiiiiiink I'm ready to try rehairing! What method do you use? What about tools? Also, which do you think would be easiest for a newbie?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline SilverRains

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the best rehairing method?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:29:17 AM »
Rehairing isn't so hard! It's just a little tedious.

I've used a method similar to this in my past customs, and it wasn't hard at all, but it was very time consuming.

I spoke with someone recently who said the method shown here (scroll down for the rehairing part) is quite a bit faster if you want to get/make a tool. I'm going to try it out on my next custom.

The person who I talked with said that it's really easy to make your own tool. Just take a somewhat large sewing needle, cut the end of the eye off at an angle (it's easier if one prong is longer than the other), then use an Exact-O knife handle to hold it. I recently came across a tutorial on making your own tool which said pretty much the same thing, but I'm having trouble finding it again.

If the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.
Wishlist ~ Art

Offline Baby Mischief

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Liberae sunt nostrae cogitationes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »
Hi Shiromisa!
I just started rehairing a couple of days ago and I ordered hair and a rehair-tool from DollyHair. The tool works perfect! My first pony I rehaired in less than two hours and here you can see the results:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,337056.0/topicseen.html

I cant speak for any other methods, but the tool from DollyHair is amazing! Just be sure to order some extra needles! I broke my first with my second pony.. And the tail-part is so easy! Himmie sent me a picture that really explains it well, I will see if I can find it if you want to see it! :hug:

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 03:38:44 AM »
Yep, the rehairing tool is definitely the easiest/best way if you ask me. I made my own tool using a large sewing needle, cutting off the end (like SilverRains said above), and then used an old pencil for the handle (sticking the sharp end of the needle into the eraser to hold it in. It's not as durable as a "real" tool would be if you ordered one, but I rarely do customs and don't use it much. It works for my purposes and was free to make. :)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:08:50 PM »
I've done the needle and thread method as well as the tool method. I like the needle and thread method because I can do thicker plugs and less hair wastage. It takes a bit longer but I don't have to worry about broken needles. For the reroot tool, I really like it for MH dolls and G1 ponies but I kept breaking needles on G4's because their plastic is so hard. I just ordered some thicker needles and rehaired a G4 last night and it was much better with the thicker needle. no broken needles and I could do thicker plugs than before. I ordered my tool from dollyhair :)

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »
I use a tool and I love it. I make my own tools and cut my own needles, so I can make them how I want them. It usually takes me about 20 minutes to rehair a G4 pony.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
I use a doll needle with combination knot tie off, but it does take longer than rehairing tool.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »
You can make your own, or buy a tool. They tools are seriously the quickest way to go after you get the hang of it.

I am not saying this because I sell and make tools---I make tools because it's been the best method for me so far and saw there were not a lot of people making tools for specific things like MLP anymore.

You definitely want a larger needles for g4's and maybe the use of a poking tool to enlarge the root holes before rooting. They can be a pain. I use the same needles I use on my Styling G3's for G4's.

Make your own tool---http://members.shaw.ca/vikingbrat/tool.html same principal, bigger needles for MLP.

Make sure to cut spare needles. They can break (from incorrect positioning, too small of a needle, plastic thickness, not paying attention, or wear and tear) and it stinks to be stuck without one in the middle of a root. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:18:04 AM by BarbedDragon »
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
Tool all day long! I don't have the patience for any of the other methods :blush:

Its really easy to make your own tool too http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/topics/how-to-make-a-homemade-reroot Seriously you can get everything you need to make one from Walmart!

This is how I learned to do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHTva5wepg
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal