collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Romanticizing the (Thrift) Hunt  (Read 1912 times)

Tenar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Romanticizing the (Thrift) Hunt
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 09:35:59 PM »
I've had some luck on kijiji picking up some ponies that included big brother with hat and scarf.

But mostly I check out the value village but have little luck. Mostly bad shape g3 and a bit pricy.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 08:09:11 AM »

Oh my gosh song you are a brave lady tacking all that in the name of ponies!

Personally I always seem to have a similarly poor experience [minus the company of kiddies, usually just accompanied by a cranky puppy who does not like to go to car boot sales very much]. However, I usually end up spending money on random junk which I dont need but am unable to resist :P

Yes, I'm thinking eBay and a cocktail is a better leisure activity.  :)

:like: very much!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »

I would be totally thrilled to find Daddy Apple Delight at a thrift store, in any condition! Then again, I love my boys. :)

I rarely have pony luck at thrift stores, though I find plenty of other 80's stuff. I have created a My Pretty Pony army though. :blink:

Ha!  Yes, lots of My Pretty Pony figures need our hair intervention help!  :)

I share your all-consuming love for Big Brothers.  I wish I'd found more than one pony in that store but the one was miraculous itself.  And nothing is more satisfying for me than taking them to the pony spa for some fixing up.  :)
I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I have a My Pretty Pony that needs serious help.  I found her at a thrift store and they gave her to me for free because they were just going to throw her in the trash.  She has a cracked open place on her back seam right below her hairline...I don't know what to do with her but I don't want her to go to the junk pile!

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 09:00:17 AM »
All I ever find are G3's. I don't collect them at all so it's always a disappointment. I've found the occasional G1 at a flea market or Savers, but very rarely.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline minamarie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
naaaah thriftstores are mostly lousy but when its warm outside i find ponies and other supercool 80s toys at fleamarkets every weekend :)

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »
I have a pony hunt team including my self, my boy friend, two best friends and four to five vendors at the local flea market.

And even with this large network I still come up empty most weeks the best this team usealy dose is a few McD ponies. On a rare occasion I do find ponies at one of the four goodwill's within driving distance. My best find was a SS Magic star in a bag with some G3s for four dollars, my boyfriend's best find was a bag of 12 ponies (mostly McD ponies but I did get some hard to find G3 babies!)

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

Personally I always seem to have a similarly poor experience [minus the company of kiddies, usually just accompanied by a cranky puppy who does not like to go to car boot sales very much]. However, I usually end up spending money on random junk which I dont need but am unable to resist :P

I like too but that's a good way to end up skint! Lol. When I've been drinking its not my car keys you need to keep from me, it's anything I can get on eBay with!! Haha

I've never ever found a pony at a charity shop and once someone at a car boot sale tried to sell me a mold ridden Cherries Jubilee for a fiver!

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »

I like too but that's a good way to end up skint! Lol. When I've been drinking its not my car keys you need to keep from me, it's anything I can get on eBay with!! Haha!

I think if I'm lucky, I'll win one or two auctions I bid on.  The days I win ten tend to involve a drink.  ;). Either before or after.  :D
I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

Offline Stormrave

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »
I always look for ponies when I'm at the thrift store anyway, dropping off items or looking for books.  But I don't go to the thrift store SOLELY to look for ponies because I'm so often disappointed - it's not worth the time and transportation fee unless I have other reasons to be there.

I have found a couple G1s, also a FashionStar Filly, a bag of seven She-Ra's, a really nice Stormer (from Jem) and a sea pony float, but considering how many times I've been there, that's about a 1 in 25 chance of finding treasure.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
I have a My Pretty Pony that needs serious help.  I found her at a thrift store and they gave her to me for free because they were just going to throw her in the trash.  She has a cracked open place on her back seam right below her hairline...I don't know what to do with her but I don't want her to go to the junk pile!

She can come live with me. :biggrin:
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 05:03:42 AM »

I like too but that's a good way to end up skint! Lol. When I've been drinking its not my car keys you need to keep from me, it's anything I can get on eBay with!! Haha!

I think if I'm lucky, I'll win one or two auctions I bid on.  The days I win ten tend to involve a drink.  ;). Either before or after.  :D

I find myself oddly reassured that its more than just me negotiating ebay with a friendly jug glass of margarita to keep me company.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LittleHoneyPie

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Only love is real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
We like to go to estate sales and sometimes I find a couple of pony combs only, as if to say "Ponies were here -- but none for you!!" At one I found flutter pony Hollywood's comb. It was nice to find but I still wonder if we had gotten there earlier whether Hollywood would have been there and what if she still had wings!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 10:40:38 AM »

I find myself oddly reassured that its more than just me negotiating ebay with a friendly jug glass of margarita to keep me company.

After a couple of bottles of Merlot I've been known to do things like BIN on things like MIP Bay Breeze...  :whistle:

Offline anthologia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • a collection : gathering flowers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 10:57:52 AM »
I get the overwhelming majority of my second-hand ponies from ebay. The only time I found them in person was at a church tag sale. They were all in good shape, with the exception of some haircuts, but the best was a Bee Bop. I'm rehairing her now, but I've more or less decided that my main theme collection is music, so she fits right in. :biggrin: I've had more luck with Barbies. I got a bag of accessories and clothes once, and I have a fair few that popped up in Goodwill or a tag sale.

But I like going to Goodwill even if I don't find anything, so. :socks:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal