collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else unable to keep up with G4?  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else unable to keep up with G4?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
I'm mostly a brushable only collector, and I only want one of each, so for me it's not too bad. My hubby buys me Fashion Styles and Blindbags (because he knows I don't have them already), and occasionally I'll pick myself up some blind bags, but it's usually for the fun of it, and I don't tend to check numbers or anything unless I've already got a whole heap of that wave. There's only two stores I know of that carry them anyway, so it's only when I happen to be there.

I must say though, it's frustrating having to buy so many doubles to get what I want brand new, and those doubles hanging around is what's overwhelming me... pulling ponies out of packaging and throwing them straight in the trade bin just feels wrong, you know?!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
I think if you feel like you have to have EVERYTHING, well, of course it's going to become overwhelming! I don't see the need to totally give up G4 just because you can't get everything you want. I really wanted Rainbow Flash, Skywishes and Starswirl but they were too difficult/expensive for me to get, so I just moved on. I figure if I see them up for trade/ for sale cheap in the future, I'll just get them then. You'll feel better if you only go after the things that you want most, or that you can attain without going broke. Will the G4s you have now bring you less joy if you don't get every single plush, or every single blind bag, or every single fashion style, etc.?

Think about G3 - I think at times a lot of us felt overwhelmed and probably missed out on a lot of ponies and items we wanted, but now so many people (collectors and otherwise) are getting rid of their G3 collections and you can usually find any G3 you're looking for, and not for much money, either. I kinda feel like it will be the same way for G4 in a few years. So I'm not terribly concerned with missing out on several ponies I wanted. -shrug-
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
I do not do blind bag ponies, so that is not so bad. I do think that its hard to keep up with the Taobao ponies. That can get expensive if you have to have them all. Right now I think that things are good.  Most of the ponies that I want to get are coming out next month. I have gone about a month now with no new ponies. So all is good :)

Nasaniaru

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
Okay, I might be new here, but I think I have solutions to most of you guys's problems.

In terms of Blind Bags: Equestria Daily has the codes for what each pony is. Just search EqD for "Blind bag Identification" and you should be able to find out that each code corresponds to a specific pony so if you are tired of getting doubles all the time, this should help you out greatly.

In terms of the "Gotta catch 'em all" spirit: Unfortunately that is one that has to be dealt with on an individual basis. To get out of that mentality might require a bit more than just someone on the internet telling you to get over it. I would try to focus on quality and things that actually interest you. We all came here because we are pretty hard core collectors of pony and I can say that early on, I only bought things that were worth my money. For instance, I am very much a fan of Funko's vinyls that are coming out. They are show accurate, rather large, and to those who collect them, are being rewarded with both the Mane Six, and the Background fan favorites.

The brushables are rather neat too. So, maybe only get ones that are individuals and not just lazy old repaints. I mean, Hasbro is the king of repainting things to get another character out of it. Just look at the Seekers from the Transformers toylines.

Now in terms of the exclusives, I apologize on behalf of my country that shipping to other countries puts a nearly unpayable cost when it comes to shipping. Maybe you can use the trade system that this site has to help you get what you want. And if worse comes to worse, Ebay might be your only hope.

I definitely sympathise with everyone here. I may have only gotten into ponies quite recently, but I've been a collector for at least a decade. And in that decade, I learned that if I was going to get into collecting, I had to set a few ground rules to prevent me from spending superflously on things that I would just get rid of in the end. Maybe that is what you have to do in this case so you don't feel maxed out in terms of emotionally, and monetarilly.

I wish everyone here luck in what they decide to do and hope that time is on your side when it comes to getting those new ponies.

Wishing Well

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »
I exclusively collect brushables. To finish my collection, all I need is Sweetsong, Minty, Zecora, Silver Spoon, Twist, Shadowbolt Dash and the TRU set.

But the fact that my Monster High collecting habits is eating up all my money for my ponies... gah.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 08:05:38 PM »
I had to make a decision a long time ago where I would put my money. I went with G1. They are my favorite anyway and they are the most special to me.  I can slowly collect them, and I don't have to feel obsessed with checking the store every week for something new. I don't have to worry I am going to miss finding that G4 pony that I just gotta have.  With G1, I can grab my coffee and check every country ebay and browse looking for my object of obsession and get it when I have the money.  This is so much better for me.  I am disabled and I don't feel like shopping in stores. I don't feel like driving all over town trying to find things.  So, I gave up collecting anything modern except mini lalas.  My husband buys them for me every once in a while on his way home from work as a surprise..that and the Schleich animals.  So, I get to shop at home in my pj's.  I loved G3, but that line overwhelmed me too.  I did get them new in the store on the rare occasion we went, but I relied on thrift stores to get mine and I have over 200 from that source alone.  I guess it helps that I didn't like the brushable G4's at all.  I got bored with the blind bags and so now I am content with my G1's.  I never tire of them.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »
I think the last two brushables I bought were Cherry Pie and Diamond Rose...and I think that was at the 2012 Fair...can that be right??  :blink: Wait, no, I purchased the smaller white Celestia and bonus pony and Princess Luna and bonus pony sets about a week before the Fair. Does that count? :P

Then I got into the blind bags. OMG, I got into the blind bags.  :shocked:  To me though, it's worth it. I absolutely adore them sitting on my desk. The only sets I don't have are Wave 2 (darn European exclusives set!) and Wave 6. Wave 8 I'm holding off on until a solution to the "stink" they came with is found.  I managed to complete three waves in the last two weeks (thanks Svleonard and Gypsy!) Wave 3 is still incomplete, but I'm sure if I hunt long enough...*salivates* My favorite set hands down is the glittery blind bags, although Wave 7 is growing on me. :P

And I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know about me. :P

I don't feel overwhelmed, but I don't feel (bb's aside) that attached to the brushables, the fashion styles, etc. etc.  Not like I do with my G3s. So I wouldn't feel bad if, at some point, I decide to sell them, unlike my G3 collection. I just collect what I like, this time around. :)
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
Well.... I only collect G4's, so I am very happy
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
You just outlined my EXACT problem with the current line. I love ponies... But slow down, Hasbro! I can't keep up!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 04:08:08 AM »
I love G4 and am grateful for all the new stuff, it's always exciting to see, but I am finding myself when seeing new things saying "YEY but OMG" lol.

I've already made a decision regarding which plushies I'm allowing myself to buy and which I won't be getting due to funding and space issues and it may soon be the case that this extends to other areas of my G4 collection to allow me to cope more with the constant influx of stuff. The problem is I'm really not sure what else to cut out or cut down on, it's all too awesome :P

The other issue I have is that I don't know the last time I bought a G1, other than the Cotton Candy I sent to the US for autographing at the Fair. I love G4 and want to keep up with them but my favourite G1s are suffering as a result.

I'm actually glad you posted this because I've been thinking about it for a while and I think now is the time to take stock and make some decisions as to where my G4 collection is going in future :)

Well that didn't work at all! I took all my blind bag ponies down from the shelf with a view to just keeping the ones that really appealed to me and just couldn't  do it! I just ended up rearranging them  :argh:

I think I'll re-address the plushies and remove some from my want list, just keeping the 6" Funrise and Build a Bears on there. No Auroras for Sarah.

Still, I don't collect re-releases of the main six (unless they look vastly different, which they rarely do) so at least there's that, right? Right?? :P

Oh, and I don't do most merch so thankfully I don't have to worry about keeping up with that!

Offline Brandi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
I hear ya sister! It always seem like there's a pony dry spell when I have money, then when I don't everything new comes out. I just have to decide what items I'd rather have and what I can live without. I'm glad I'm not a must have it all collector or I'd be really depressed.

Moondust ,Cremello Quarter Horse = Equine love of my life

Moonracer

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »
Of all the G4s, I only have a couple blindbags plus two brushables (Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy). I'd love to get myself more: despite my ranting about how little variety there is in the G4 line, I actually like this gen. The brushable ponies are cute and I love those little "companion animals" many of them came out with.

Sadly, though, I had to give up collecting those until later, in favor of G1. Mainly because I have a bigger sentiment for this generation (I grew up watching the show and playing with some of the original ponies I had as a kid), and since I don't know when or where any of the G1 ponies is going to pop out, I need to have enough cash in check.

Hopefully though this'll all change in the future, once I'll get a job this year...

Fortunatelly though, I don't think that catching up with G4 will be all too hard for me - I'm mostly interested in brushables, a couple blind bags and a few play sets and I'm not all too keen on buying all the different variants of the Mane 6. Also, there's always a chance that I'll be able to find G4 ponies, be it in a supermarket, big name toy stores, small toy stores, online stores, auctions etc., while with G1s it isn't so...

Fransponies

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »
I am! I will be lucky if I can get one Equestria girl doll and the Pinkie Pie car. The rest will have to wait. I have limited myself to the mane 6 and core 7 of all the first generations. Then I try to get Rainbow Dashes for my army and a few favorites from the G4 line. That is it for me. Especially since most of my finances are being saved for the new baby on the way. I would love to have all the EG dolls though. Maybe one day I can get some more.

Peppermint leaf

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »
OMG! I thought I was the only one, its true, so many sets and so little money. And the prices for ponies these days are outrageous, that's why I only get the characters I want the most in pony merchandise.

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
I have not kept up with the last two seasons of FiM.  I feel bad about that.  Where can I find them to catch up?  I love the blind bags, and I have the entire first wave and some of the TRU sets.   I need to find more of the ones I like. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:48:20 PM by BethyVic »
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal