collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Aleene's Original Tacky Glue - so far I'm unimpressed  (Read 1753 times)

Fransponies

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Aleene's Original Tacky Glue - so far I'm unimpressed
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 08:04:24 AM »
I use the Instant Krazy Glue Pen. It makes super glue so much easier to use when it is in a pen. I can't use the traditional super glue because I always end up gluing my fingers to something. But with the pen, I haven't had that problem. However, I never heard of super glue being aggresive, so I am going to look into that modeling glue mentioned here.

Oh, and I don't use the home and office one. I use the green and red all purpose one. Here is a pic if anyone is interested:
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:09:33 AM by Fransponies »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »
Model glue (which is pretty much superglue that is safer for models, which tend to mostly be plastic) doesn't agree with me... I bought some specifically for a model that I was building and it always, ALWAYS clogged. Me and mom have had luck with Elmer's Craft Bond. Mom used most of one of my bottles to stick heavy crystal candle holders to the backs of picture frames to make stands for her jellies and it held them in place, even with picking up the frames those crystal 'feet' didn't fall off... now I can't say that if we forcefully pulled them off then they won't budge...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
I've used superglue but only because the neck plug stayed in when i pulled the head off this has only happened to me twice. So because I couldn't just reattach the head and leave it turnable i had to glue it and my tacky glue isn't strong enough for the job.

my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Aleene\'s Original Tacky Glue - so far I\'m unimpressed
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
Thanks for your replies all! I'm going to go with Bostick model glue and I'll let you know how I get on.

Lots of lovexxx

Post Merge: July 21, 2013, 05:41:14 PM

Aw thanks! I use a modelling bostik brand, its actually an all purpose brand and you ll find it in the supermarket - I pipe it into a small cap and use a small paint brush to paint it on the neckline thickly and then leave it to set. I prefer it to superglue for several reasons. 1) its not as aggressive to plastics as other glues and therefore will not melt it, 2) it dries clear, 3) it is not as strong as other glues [I dont need ponies to be able to dangle by their head after all and its handy that the glue is, if needed, must more pliable to remove the head again should it be required].

Now I'm wondering if it's this one or the 'extra' strong?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bostik-All-Purpose-Adhesive-20ml/dp/B0001OZI48/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374453517&sr=8-2&keywords=bostik

It's been fun but I'm actually really looking forward to getting the restoration on these first ponies finished so I can just play =) Apart from Seashell's tail coming in the post next week and her bite marks to fill in, all I have left is a few dodgy heads, some forelocks to re-hair and symbols/eyes to touch up with acrylics. So close!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:44:34 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 04:17:17 AM »
Yes that's the stuff - you can also pick it up in most large supermarkets.

I use the extra strong but to be honest its the same glue just a strength difference. However, I do think the glue you have linked to, if there is ever going to be a day you may need to remove the head again, is a better option. But if you use it just don't go swinging the pony by her mane anywhere :P

The extra strong is what I tend to prefer because pony plastic does not always like to adhere.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 05:08:35 AM »
In Singapore, we have a brand called UHU glue. It's a superglue of some sort but it doesn't melt plastics, and has been my best choice.
we have this in germany too and it works really fine! i really recommend it!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 07:02:55 AM »
Oh no I have messed up two ponies with Gorilla super glue.  They developed a white ring around their entire seal.  So nooooooo walk away.  So far I have not found any glue I liked and I wonder if humidity plays a part.  Some of what was recommended here has been terrible glue for me.

I've used in on MH toys with good results, but then, pony vinyl is different.  Plus, while I've had great luck getting Gorilla Glue to work, I've never gotten Krazy Glue to stick to any synthetics no matter how much I use.

I'd say if the glue discolors, not to use it on anything that might show, like pony necks.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:05:33 AM by cleverLC »

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »
Thanks Ladies!!

Random cute pic:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:09:16 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal