collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New microfiber rehairs! Rainbow Dash, Moonstone, some gradients and blends...  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Love the wild poofy wind blown look on the second RD and also the elegant and silky smooth look on the others, they are just awesome! Thanks a lot for posting that tutorial it looks really helpful :D. If you don't mind my asking was the rehairing part hard or just time consuming or a little of both?
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SilkSpun

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • *wiggles*
    • View Profile
Love the wild poofy wind blown look on the second RD and also the elegant and silky smooth look on the others, they are just awesome! Thanks a lot for posting that tutorial it looks really helpful :D. If you don't mind my asking was the rehairing part hard or just time consuming or a little of both?
Mostly just time consuming! The fiber plugs are pretty easy to put in with a rehair tool, but between cutting all the yarn to length, brushing them all out individually, straightening them, then in the case of the styled ones, heat-treating with hot water (to get it to lay in the right directions first), letting that dry, then carefully cutting and styling... It takes a LONG TIME. :'D The process is really satisfying once you have the finished product, though, since it looks so good and feels so soft! On average, the simpler ones take me about an hour or two (like for a Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy), and the crazy styled ones will take two days of off-and-on work - maybe about 6-8 hours total.

I'm currently experimenting with how much time I can cut out by rooting the separated yarn directly into the head, gluing it in, THEN brushing-and-straightening it all in chunks. I'll have to time it to see if there's any big difference in time spent, though, because it does get a little fiddly with the head getting in the way of the hair straightener, and you do have to work very small chunks at a time, otherwise the brush or straightener just can't handle it. :'D If I come upon anything groundbreaking, I'll update the tutorial!
Formerly SilkSpindle!

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Ok cool, thanks for replying :D
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
I tried doing this and I failed, but seeing the awesomeness of your ponies made me determined to try again. Seriously. I LOVE this.

Offline SoldierofTwilight

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Eyup!
    • View Profile
    • DA
They look like nummy cotton candy hair! Have you tried out the sparkle yarn? I'm wondering if the strips of tinsel would hold up with that method. :)

Post Merge: July 12, 2013, 10:16:07 AM

I'm currently experimenting with how much time I can cut out by rooting the separated yarn directly into the head, gluing it in, THEN brushing-and-straightening it all in chunks. I'll have to time it to see if there's any big difference in time spent, though, because it does get a little fiddly with the head getting in the way of the hair straightener, and you do have to work very small chunks at a time, otherwise the brush or straightener just can't handle it. :'D If I come upon anything groundbreaking, I'll update the tutorial!

I think that may save you a good bit of time and was thinking about that same method!

Customs l Twilight Soldier l Twilight Innocence l Fayte l Clicks?
Currently working on: Nuffins D:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal