collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Am I the only one?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Am I the only one?
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
Ok, am I the only one who really, really doesn't like the whole "So-and-so is best pony" thing?

I have two reasons I don't like it.  A) Yes, everyone has a favorite pony, but I don't like how this splits fans into groups based on which pony they like most and setting that pony up to be the "best" over other ponies.

And B) (and this is the thing that just really gets under my skin)  It's not grammatically correct!  It should be "So-and-so is *the* best pony" !  AAAAAARGH!

Okay, glad I got that out of my system.  :blush:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
I really do not have any favorite ponies,  there are some designs that catch my eye more than others though.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »
I don't particularly like the phrase because of those reasons, plus it's just stupid... but at the same time I love to hear someone use it because it's so stupid.

It's mostly a G4 Brony thing anyway, a sort of meme. I don't think I've ever heard a G1 collector say 'Mimic is Best Pony!'. We all have our favourites but we all love ponies, so when I hear someone say "____ is Best Pony!" I just laugh because they sound so silly.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
I never understood that phrase, since there is no such thing as a 'best' pony because everyone's opinions differ.
Mimic on MLPTP

BigHicks1977

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
I understand what you are saying........BUT Mimic is the best pony  :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: lol

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
Nope. You're not the only one :P
i'd prefer "My favorite pony is..." but I have no favorite ponies. True, Rarity is my fave character of MLP;FiM, but I couldn't possibly chose a favorite or "best pony" in my collection :/ its like favoring a child.
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »
To echo Twilight Pink no your not the only one, and even though I have favorites, I could never just have one fav. I could never really go along with the idea that so-in-so is the best because to me each pony has a unique quality that the other doesn't have and that uniqueness is what makes each of them awesome just in their own way. Because while one may not be able to do what another one does that pony still has their own unique talent that makes him/her special.. I hope that made sense because I had it in my head good but not sure if I have it typed right lol...
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
It doesn't bother me.  Something like this doesn't have to divide fans if you don't want it to. I like to say sometimes that Luna is best princess, does that mean I absolutely hate on Celestia/Cadance/Twilight fans? Um, no?

Plus, I like the bad grammar. It sounds silly and it makes me laugh (I'm pretty sure anyone who has said it out loud knows what they're saying sounds off). It's kind of like when people say "Sorry, can't art today" or "I need to go internet for work". Who knew art and internet were verbs now? It's fun and doesn't need to be taken so seriously.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »
It can get annoying because I'm mostly a G1/G3 collector. And "best pony" is G4. Plus the grammar thing...uggh.
Honestly I keep forgetting who "best pony" is.  Just so you know it's Dr Whooves. :P

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »
It doesn't bother me.  Something like this doesn't have to divide fans if you don't want it to. I like to say sometimes that Luna is best princess, does that mean I absolutely hate on Celestia/Cadance/Twilight fans? Um, no?

Plus, I like the bad grammar. It sounds silly and it makes me laugh (I'm pretty sure anyone who has said it out loud knows what they're saying sounds off). It's kind of like when people say "Sorry, can't art today" or "I need to go internet for work". Who knew art and internet were verbs now? It's fun and doesn't need to be taken so seriously.

Uhm, I was not implying that people were getting out their pitchforks.  And maybe my reaction was influenced by the one time someone said that phrase to me in person.  That person approached me because I was wearing an FiM t-shirt and that phrase was the first thing out of their mouth.  Not "Hi" or "I love ponies, too."  But the assertion that her favorite pony was the "best" pony.  I found it very off-putting.

I totally get that this phrase is supposed to sound silly.   However, for me, it is one of those things that might get a laugh the first time (I never found it particularly funny).  By about the 20th time it is starting to get annoying, by the 100th time, it starts to actively get on my nerves.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »
The BEST pony is all of them :)

I don't care for phases that try to make ponies 'better' (almost typed bestter because I'm tired) than another pony. It's almost seen as a challenge thing to me as well as 'Better than you' thing.. again this is just how it comes off to me most often =/

Maybe I just take my view on somethings too seriously o.o *shrugs*
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline ravengusty

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 12:23:16 AM »
Gusty is..........my fave pony in the whole history of My Little Pony. However regardless of how much I love Gusty she can't be the best pony because each pony no matter how great isn't any better than any other. Gusty is awesome but she can be negative, Fizzy is bubbly but gets a bit ahead of herself sometimes, it's all good.

I'm sure many have soft spots for a certain pony but this Best Pony thing you speak of is almost like playground sillyness you know the whole 'my pony is better than your pony blah blah blah'.

I like to keep a bit of maturity around my toys  ;) except when I get a new one then I jumps round the room like a crazy woman. Speaking of crazy my other half likes Pinky Pie, he says she's funny but also bat crap crazy.

I'm still don't understand the whole Luna Vs Celestia thing with some fans...but that is for a whole other thread that someone may make someday
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 12:26:48 AM »
Yep, I understand how you feel. Lots of memes are annoying. I hate the grumpy cat one, lol.

People seem to get some sort of personal satisfaction from posting these kinds of things, like they are posting an inside joke, so I guess it is good they have something that makes them happy and that makes them feel like they are in a community.

Taking a break from the internet is a good way to encounter less memes. :) I had an internet break last week, and it was fabulous.

Offline ravengusty

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »
Yep, I understand how you feel. Lots of memes are annoying. I hate the grumpy cat one, lol.

People seem to get some sort of personal satisfaction from posting these kinds of things, like they are posting an inside joke, so I guess it is good they have something that makes them happy and that makes them feel like they are in a community.

Taking a break from the internet is a good way to encounter less memes. :) I had an internet break last week, and it was fabulous.

I still don't understand how 'the pegasus who should not be named' is so popular...I don't like her
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »

I still don't understand how 'the pegasus who should not be named' is so popular...I don't like her
Because she was an error in the background of Twilight Sparkle's party in the very first episode of MLP;FiM ...Geez, you must've been staring at the background pretty hard to notice that O.o
And as in result the bronies blew her up :/ same with the "muffins" phrase. How can you tell that was even her who said that? >_<
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal