collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Horror Films Do You Like To Watch???  (Read 2575 times)

Argentum-Zeena

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What Horror Films Do You Like To Watch???
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »
I love horror films. I don't have a particular favorite, but I do have a preference for the ghost-related ones. Bloody ones (except Repo and TDC, love them!) don't really interest me. I've been desensitized to those from when I was little :lol:

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 09:45:47 AM »
So, I'm gonna go ahead and plug my two favorites, since they're relatively unknown and shouldn't be!

In the year 2056 - the not so distant future - an epidemic of organ failures devastates the planet. Out of the tragedy, a savior emerges: GeneCo, a biotech company that offers organ transplants, for a price. Those who miss their payments are scheduled for repossession and hunted by villainous Repo Men. In a world where surgery addicts are hooked on painkilling drugs and murder is sanctioned by law, a sheltered young girl searches for the cure to her own rare disease as well as information about her family's mysterious history. After being sucked into the haunting world of GeneCo, she is unable to turn back, as all of her questions will be answered at the wildly anticipated spectacular event: The Genetic Opera.
(From IMDB)

It's also a proper opera, with only two or three lines not sung. It is gory, but it's also campy and sort of cerebral. Repo was a short, ten minute opera (called The Necromerchant's Debt) performed on stage by two men, then a full stage play, then finally a movie! When you look deep, it's full of references to mythology and classical imagery and augh I just love it so much!  :heart:

The Devil's Carnival Kicks off with the deaths of three individuals, John, Ms. Merrywood, and Tamara. Though the manner of their passing gives brief insight to their transgressions, it isn't until they reach The Devil's Carnival in Hell, run by Lucifer himself, where they are forced to relive the sins of their past once more, are their histories truly revealed. John is an obsessive father who seemingly lost his son, and continues to search for him in Satan's macabre, maze-like fun land. Ms. Merrywood's sin is greed; her life and death were both spent attempting to acquire as many fine and expensive things as she could. Tamara, possibly the most piteous of the three, seems only to have being too gullible on her list of wrong doings. Once they breach the Carnival gates, Lucifer and his hellish, but colorful band of Carnies put on an unforgettable show for all three damned souls.
(From Wikipedia)

A spiritual sequel to Repo made by the same people, TDC is admittedly less polished and thinky, but it has the same delicious campiness that Repo has. Serious warnings for self-injury, so please give it a miss if that upsets you, but otherwise it's a great movie! Again it's a musical and has the same mythological leanings as Repo. Plus, you can find me in the credits! ;D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Sandra

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 11:23:03 AM »
I lov love love the Saw movies. Namely the first three, but they're all pretty good. :D

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »
My absolute favourite is Bram Stoker's Dracula, but that probably doesn't really count as horror.. And other vampire movies like Interview With The Vampire. :P

Trying to think of movies not mentioned already.. Cannibal Holocaust, From Hell, Omen trilogy, then there's lots of stuff from Takashi Miike (for example Audition and Ichi The Killer).
For a bit lighter "horror" Sleepy Hollow, Pan's Labyrinth, Sweeney Todd.
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Argentum-Zeena

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »
So, I'm gonna go ahead and plug my two favorites, since they're relatively unknown and shouldn't be!

In the year 2056 - the not so distant future - an epidemic of organ failures devastates the planet. Out of the tragedy, a savior emerges: GeneCo, a biotech company that offers organ transplants, for a price. Those who miss their payments are scheduled for repossession and hunted by villainous Repo Men. In a world where surgery addicts are hooked on painkilling drugs and murder is sanctioned by law, a sheltered young girl searches for the cure to her own rare disease as well as information about her family's mysterious history. After being sucked into the haunting world of GeneCo, she is unable to turn back, as all of her questions will be answered at the wildly anticipated spectacular event: The Genetic Opera.
(From IMDB)

It's also a proper opera, with only two or three lines not sung. It is gory, but it's also campy and sort of cerebral. Repo was a short, ten minute opera (called The Necromerchant's Debt) performed on stage by two men, then a full stage play, then finally a movie! When you look deep, it's full of references to mythology and classical imagery and augh I just love it so much!  :heart:

The Devil's Carnival Kicks off with the deaths of three individuals, John, Ms. Merrywood, and Tamara. Though the manner of their passing gives brief insight to their transgressions, it isn't until they reach The Devil's Carnival in Hell, run by Lucifer himself, where they are forced to relive the sins of their past once more, are their histories truly revealed. John is an obsessive father who seemingly lost his son, and continues to search for him in Satan's macabre, maze-like fun land. Ms. Merrywood's sin is greed; her life and death were both spent attempting to acquire as many fine and expensive things as she could. Tamara, possibly the most piteous of the three, seems only to have being too gullible on her list of wrong doings. Once they breach the Carnival gates, Lucifer and his hellish, but colorful band of Carnies put on an unforgettable show for all three damned souls.
(From Wikipedia)

A spiritual sequel to Repo made by the same people, TDC is admittedly less polished and thinky, but it has the same delicious campiness that Repo has. Serious warnings for self-injury, so please give it a miss if that upsets you, but otherwise it's a great movie! Again it's a musical and has the same mythological leanings as Repo. Plus, you can find me in the credits! ;D

It's been a while since I've seen another Repo and TDC fan. Kinda funny how when I do find one it's on a MLP forum  :P

Offline Bellevi

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
Body horror. The Thing, David Cronenberg's The Fly, Videodrome, The Stuff, Alien... You get the idea. I like gross things/horrible mutations happening to the human body. Points for hand-crafted gross stuff.

The Spiral Staircase, The Haunting, Cat People, and House on Haunted Hill are good stuff, too.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
I love horror films... As a child of the 80's I have a huge appreciation for the times when movies were less about the gore and more about the suspense...

Some of my older fav's include....
-The entire Halloween series (I even loved the Rob Zombie remakes)
-The Shining
-The Exorcist ( I didn't see that until about 8 years ago, but I couldn't sleep for a good 3 weeks after lol)
-The original Nightmare on Elm Street
-Friday the 13th Part One
-Dolls (I was 7 when I saw this and I truly believed my toys were out to get me, so into a trashbag they went and stayed outside lol)
-Children of the Corn (the original)

Newer fav's include...
-The Human Centipede (Completely messed up but well done, the sequel however almost had me and hubby throwing up)
-Saw
-Silent Hill 1 & 2
-Wrong Turn 4
-Paranormal Activity 1-3 (I really didn't care for 4)
-The Skeleton Key

I'm sure there are tons more, but I just can't think of the names, mainly because I've seen so many lol...

Offline court2882

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
I LOVE horror movies.  Even some of the super B movies.  Not so much into the Torture movies though.

I love he movie Shutter, really creepy.  Dead Silence is also a pretty scary movie that I like.  It isn't often that movies really scare me anymore.  I have a HUGE collection of horror movies from old Vincent Price and original monster movies, to Cabin in the Woods, to David Cronenberg and 70s/80s classics like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street.

I excited for The Conjuring which is coming out soon. Director of Insidious, which was so good.

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • That's Saki-samagic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »
The only "horror" film I recall watching is Coraline and that gave me some chills when I first saw it a few months back on Film4.

Whilst not technically a horror film, The Lovely Bones is another film that spooks me and I always stalk the channels that play films like that to see if I can see it again.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 03:43:09 PM »

(From IMDB)

(From Wikipedia)

It's been a while since I've seen another Repo and TDC fan. Kinda funny how when I do find one it's on a MLP forum  :P
hehe, good to meet you! I'm sort of a useless fount of Repo and TDC knowledge. :D (Also apologies for the long post, I'm on my phone and can't snip it. Dx )

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

GothMummy

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »
Im glad to see there are a couple of other Hammer Horror film fans! I love  Vincent Price :) Oh and Bela Lugosi of course.

I love anything with vampires (Buffy! though buffy isnt really horror of course and I am watching True blood right now) but i am just too scared to watch zombie films and I hate hate hate anything with torture scenes (I even struggle with Game of Thrones for that reason).

Did anyone else like Cabin in the Woods?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal