collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: In need of oppinions/critques regarding my customs please  (Read 373 times)

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
In need of oppinions/critques regarding my customs please
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:12:01 AM »
Hey pony friends... I was hoping that some of you could take some time out of your day and take a look at my custom ponies and let me know what you think, also give me your thoughts on pricing (are my prices too high, too low etc...)
Please keep in mind that prior to 2 weeks ago I had never attempted to do a custom pony, and we're currently waiting for a bunch of our supplies to arrive (hair, rerooting tools etc...) so my customs are strictly done by stripping down the original hasbro designs and working with the original hair... Some ponies have airbush done on them, all have been repainted using acrylic paint and then sealed.

The link to my ponies is below... sorry don't use photobucket...

http://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/OwlAlwaysLoveYouBaby?section_id=13834431
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: In need of oppinions/critques regarding my customs please
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
Overall- Welcome to customizing! As a general rule hair styling goes a long way to making a pony sell. Price wise 10-20 for repaints seems about right.

Style- I feel like the color of the eye bleeding into the shine doesn't really work.  I think you did them all that way so I'm sure it's a stylistic choice, but the white is a light reflection and so any color would be obscured. Get some more opinions here because this is just my preference and other people might really dig it.

I think your airbrushing works, the detailed symbols like the roses work better for me than the more simple designs.  Some of the vine work could use a few light touch ups.  But I don't see any huge flaws or anything.  Just little knit picky stuff.

All and all I think they look nice. Keep at it and remember its hard to sell when you first start.  If you make stock to sell try to do really popular and universal themes. It's harder to make money selling than taking commissions.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
I think they look pretty good! ^-^

I agree that something is off with their eyes, though. First thing I thought of was that the eyes look kind of "dead". Does that make sense? Maybe it is the color going into the white eye shine spots like Sarahlacewing said?

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:39:31 PM »
Thank you both for your oppinions, I'll try and do something a little different with the eyes, just playing around and trying to get a feel for it. I'm happy to hear that my pricing isn't crazy high or anything...
It's fun to customzie and relieves stress for me, so I'll definitely keep at it and work on the finer details... I can't wait for my supplies to come in so I can really have a good go at it :)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
Customizing is great fun!  You already have a lovely body of work too! 

Thoughts:
LOVE the eyes on G3 Twinkles with Stars!

Love Blossom's overall body art is beautiful!  Loving the delicate black swirls.  Tahitian Breeze also has beautiful designs. 

I think creating your own new hair blends may be a good next step. 

Also, the lovely roses on Santana Rose look a bit like very pretty decals.  They look great on her, but on the off chance that they are decals you will want to tell buyers.  Decals can get sticky/damaged over time. 

Radiant Love is so cute!  I love her paintwork, eyes, and hair-styling!

You have lovely ponies and I can't wait to see what you create next!

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
Devotion and Santana Rose look very pretty! I think they are super impressive considering they are your first efforts!!! I think once you start rehairing your customs it will really pull everything together.  :)
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »
A huge thank you to everyone for your honest feedback on my customs. I can't wait for my supplies to come in so I can start rehairing and really getting into it... I love the designs I've done thus far and since i can't rehair yet, I try my best to work with what I have which I believe turns out fairly decent lol.... I love making customs though, I find it quite relaxing and I look forward to seeking more advice and critiques as my craft continues to grow :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal