collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Quick reply needed - opening a case for item not recieved  (Read 1430 times)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Quick reply needed - opening a case for item not recieved
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
I have two questions.  First the background - I won a pony from a seller in Germany on May 26.  It's a pricey pony, so I *really* don't want to lose out on the money.  It looks like the seller sent it out on June 4th, and it's still not here.  I'm quickly approaching the 45 day limit. 

I have two questions:
First, I was attempting to contact the seller through ebay, but when I put "item not received yet", I think it took me to the page to open a case.  I don't want to open a case just yet, I just want to let the seller know there's a problem.  I know how bad the mail can be, and I really want to give the package every chance to get here before I do.  I'd like to give it a least another week if possible.  So my first question is, is there a way to contact the seller about a MIA item without opening a case right away?  I've only had to open a case once for a seller who turned REALLY bad, and that's not the case here.  Any advice or information about how to navigate this and what to expect would be much appreciated!  I want my pony, and I am perfectly happy to pay the seller if the pony shows up, but I just don't want to lose out on almost $150.

Second, I haven't had any real contact with this seller, so I don't know how good his/her English is.  All item descriptions are in German, and this auction was run on German ebay.  If the pony doesn't arrive in time, and I have to open a case, things could get ugly.  I don't want that to happen.  I'd like to have someone who's willing to help me translate any communications back and forth to try and minimize any preventable misunderstandings.  If you speak excellent German and English, and are willing to help me with this, please PM me.  I'll be really grateful!

(merged topics for you) PonyLady
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:51:38 PM by ponylady »

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
PM me if you like.

As far as I know ebay would give you the option to contact the seller first before open the case. That's what they always told you - contact the seller then open the case.

I might could help you =)

Did they shipped the stuff tracked?? =)

It's unusual that it takes almost a month but not too unusual. In some cases the shipping could take up to 6 weeks - even if it stucks at the customs.
But I totally understand that you're doubtful about the 45 Paypal day limit
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
eBay really loves to have cases opened these days, it seems. You may have to select "Other" in order to send a message without opening the case...
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Yes as himmie says - follow the "contact" buyer process through but do not select "item not received" - use the "other" option or "I cannot find my answer here" option . One of those will allow you into a message box and  you can contact the seller.

Hopefully with BerryMouses help you can get some answers!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
Thank you for your replies!  I'm still trying to figure out what to do about this one. 

I went back to the auction and checked everything over again.  It was sent DHL, not regular mail.  And it has a delivery estimate of July 16th-19th.  I don't remember such a long delivery estimate.  It might have happened because the seller didn't send out immediately after my payment.  I might have missed it originally.  Either way, it's supposed to arrive after the 45 day window.  Paypal should really increase that time frame for international transactions!  I do *not* want to open a case on this.  I also do not want to lose out on $150. 

What a mess.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!  I really appreciate the help!

Post Merge: July 03, 2013, 02:20:33 PM

Oh, for Pete's sake!  It looks like I didn't make a mistake about the date.  I checked the date yesterday, and it just jumped another day.  Yesterday the estimate was July 16th - 19th.  Today it's July 17 - 20.  It's probably been creeping up for weeks which is why it's such a crazy estimated arrival date!  I knew I wasn't crazy!

The auction in question:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-little-Pony-Mein-kleines-Pony-Nightlight-Nachtlicht-Rainbow-small-symbol-G1-/171044746262?pt=Serien_Lizenzprodukte&hash=item27d30fb416
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:21:25 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
I was wondering which method they really used to ship it?
It says  EUR 8.00 for a small package international - but the small package to the US (I guess you are in the US?) costs about EUR 16,00  :blink:

It's always sad that most ppl have no clue what the best/right shipping method for their items is =(

She could easily send it in a small box - with tracking for EUR 5.50
I know that won't help ya now it's just annoying.
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
And the date just jumped again to July 19th - 23rd.  Bad, bad sign.

Berrymouse, thank you SO MUCH for your offer to help translate for me.  You have a PM.  And thank you for the information about the German shipping methods and prices.  It's really helpful, even if it's not the best news:/

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Is there a chance the seller has sent it surface mail to save on shipping? That can take a ridiculous amount of time.

I think you are right you are best to engage with the seller first. Find out if he or she can confirm for you 1) the date it was sent and 2) the way it was sent. If you get into a dialogue then that will hopefully make you more comfortable with your decision.

No airmail should take 45+ days from payment to arrival Germany to US. However, surface mail can take months.

If you have no luck with the seller or are uncomfortable with the answers, you may have to file that claim anyway. You are an honest buyer; if the pony arrives fine, just very late, and you have been refunded by paypal, then I am sure you could simply ask the seller for their paypal addy and then return the money to them again. That protects you if the pony is never going to turn up but also gives you an option to not feel unfair should the transaction eventually complete.
Loa is my love god!

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
Well, I got a response. She was pretty quick, but she didn't answer all my questions.  She claims it was sent out the day after I paid.  Ebay says it was sent out on the 4th of June(over a week later), but that's not always accurate.  I'm still trying to get her to tell me how it was sent(surface or air).

I have had a few packages take a while.  I have noticed that things have started to take A LOT longer in the last few years.  I think it's budget cuts or something going on with customs in this country.  I've had a few packages take 2+ months to get here.  In fact, the most delayed package I ever had did come from Germany.  It took almost 3 months.  I would like to say that every delayed package arrived, but sadly I've had my fair share of packages that just never arrived.  Usually from the UK, occasionally a Media Mail package will go astray.  The shifting expected arrival date is freaking me out though.  I've never seen that before!

Thanks for the help everybody!  I'm really, really upset over this one.  That Nightlight is a gift from my mom.  I did the ordering, but she's paying for it.  I want my pony, not the money back.  I do not want to be on the search for another one.  This one took me long enough to track down.  If it wasn't for my mother footing the bill for this one, I'd be a lot happier with waiting.   I wouldn't be nearly as upset about eating the cost outright.  I *really* don't like the idea the seller being out money for something that's the postal service's fault.  I really, really don't like it.  She hasn't told me if it's insured or not, but I'm guessing not.  If that pony doesn't arrive, somebody's going to be out a lot of money, and I feel terrible about that:/  I only have a few more days before I have to decide if I'm going to open a case.
*sigh*

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
I am sorry goddessofpeep - what a horrible parcel to go missing :(

The only thing I would say about the ebay shipping date - is if she did not use the paypal/ebay system for labels etc, she could have only updated the "shipped" status on the 4th even if the parcel was shipped earlier and thats why ebay is showing that as the shipped date. Its not justification and its not necessarily what has happened but its possible. For clarification you could perhaps ask her for a copy of the shipping receipt - this way you will at least be certain that it has shipped.

Has she advised you if she has done any investigation from her end? Spoken to her post office? At this point as a seller, when it is so close to the paypal deadline, she really should be kicking in to investigate or try and assure you on the shipping method/process.

I am 100% with you on being uncomfortable with the seller being out her money and the pony. If the seller is being super helpful and trying to figure things out then that makes things even more awkward and I would largely feel the same way. But unfortunately if the pony never turns up and you don't file by that deadline, you could risk being the one out the pony and the money.

I ll keep everything crossed she shows up soon.

Let us know!
Loa is my love god!

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay problem, and I might need some help from a fluent German speaker
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 02:40:02 AM »
It's a nightmare when you are waiting for an expensive package and it takes longer than expected.  >_< We have all been there.

Your seller obviously has knowledge about mlp so she is likely a collector too. She is probably a member here and/or on the german mlp board.
If you could find her here and talk to her as one collector to another (or have Berrymouse find her) that might make the communication easier.
Next time you purchase a pricey pony you might want to make sure the communication is working well *before* you go ahead and buy. Discuss and arrange the details about shipping and such before you commit to buy and send the payment. Saves you worrying later.  ;)
-

Offline Buffy

• Trade Count: (+192)
    • View Profile
    • Buffys Paradise
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 04:38:54 AM »
I hope you will get your pony soon.
And no, there is no way to send a letter from Germany to USA without airmail.But I think its still possible for sending packages...

Shipping costs:
Päckchen(small package without tracking number; up to 2 kg) 15,90 Euro
Paket(package with tracking number)
up to 5 kg 36,00 Euro (+18 Euro for priority)
up to 10 kg 47,00 Euro (+ 36 Euro for priority)
up to 20 kg 68,00 Euro (+ 71 Euro for priority)
up to 31,5 kg 89,00 Euro 8+107 Euro for priority)

Großbrief(letter up to 500 g) 3,45 Euro
Maxibrief(letter up to 1 kg) 7 Euro
If you want to send a letter with a tracking number its 2,05 Euro more. 

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
The seller finally got back to me.  I think she said the package was sent sea mail.  I'm waiting around for the mail to come today, and then I have no choice but to start the charge back process:(  The seller is ok with this.  Not happy, but nobody's happy with this situation.  I might be even more upset about this than the seller.  I do *not* want to report a missing item. 

*sigh*

I've been on ebay for over 15 years.  I've had hundreds of packages come in from all over the world.  It's always the ones I'm most excited about that give me all the problems.  I've had problems with mail from Germany before, but it's been years and years since that's happened.  Every package from Germany that I've gotten in the last 10 years has gotten here pretty quickly, without fuss.  I think this is a newer seller, and she's never shipped to the USA before.  All the feedback she's gotten from non-German buyers has been from Australia and a few from Europe.  I went back and checked every last feedback.  Still looks like a good seller, but I don't think she had her shipping options correct.  I probably should have insisted on better shipping, but she looked like a competent seller, and all her feedback was good.

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
Quick reply needed - opening a case for item not recieved
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:12:16 PM »
I've been trying to work out things with a seller in Germany for an item that just hasn't arrived(I have a whole thread about it), but sadly today's the 45 day limit, and I have to file to get my money back.  I want the pony, and if it arrives I'll be happy to pay the seller back.  Sadly, I can't wait anymore to see if it arrives.   I have one shot at this, and I have to take it now. 

I'm attempting to open my case, and it's asking me if I want the item, or if I want a refund.  I've never done this before, so I'm not sure what to pick.  I do want the item, and I'd love to give the seller more time for it to arrive if at all possible, but I'm worried about what happens if I choose that option. 

If I pick "I want the item", and then the item doesn't arrive, will I still be able to get a refund?

For those of you who have done this before, should I choose "I want my item" or "I want a refund"?

Sorry for the extra post, I just need a really quick answer, and I didn't think I'd get one if my question is buried at the bottom of a thread that has been the most lively thing on the Arena.
Thanks!

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
Re: Quick reply needed - opening a case for item not recieved
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
I had a similar situation recently, with a seller in the UK. They never responded to my messages so I opened to case one day before my time was up. I selected that I still wanted the item. The seller never responded to the case so I escalated/closed it after (I don't remember) days. Ebay then made the decision and I got a full refund.

So, you should be fine in selecting that option, and it gives the item a bit more time to arrive, as well.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal