collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who here lives away from their home country?  (Read 991 times)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Who here lives away from their home country?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »
My husband lived in the Bahamas for a time. And he became fluent in Haitian Creole. He said kids would come up and ask him random stuff just so they could hear a Caucasian dude speak it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »
I never lived abroad but I did live in Alaska for 12 years and its SO different up there, it may as well of been another country. Plus I was still 5.000 miles away from home.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »
I lived in Japan for seven months as part of an internship and study abroad. I worked in Tokyo for two months then moved up north to Iwate prefecture for five but traveled around Japan.

Here's some pictures of the city I lived in, Morioka. Unfortunately not mine since I can't find my photos.

The Ishiwari Zakura or "Rock-splitting cherry tree." It's a city landmark and pretty awesome even when not in bloom. It is exactly what it sounds like, a cherry tree growing out of a boulder that split the boulder in half.

Burning a boat for Obon Matsuri. We got to see this festival and it is astounding. Each district of the city makes their own boat that when lit on fire unleashes a choreographed firework display. The festival ended on a different note since we were there mere months after the huge earthquake and tsunami; small lanterns were floated out onto the river, each one representing a victim of the disaster from Iwate.

The back of Morioka Station. The basement of Morioka Station has the best kitsune udon I've ever had.

Iwate Bank building. I rode my bike past this building a lot since a neat little shopping alley is across the street from it.

The noodle dish of the gods; Morioka Reimen. Morioka is famous for their three great noodle dishes: reimen, wanko soba, and jajamen. I only tried the first two (and wanko soba is less of a dish and more of an experience) and reimen is by far the best.

Man now I'm secondary homesick from this post.

Duster reference]

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »
I lived a half year in the US (then my visum expired) so I moved back to Germany (where I'm rather from) and now I would love to move to the UK (Ireland would be also an option) but that's just a dream so far. =(

I really don't like Germany - dunno why.
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 12:45:12 AM »
I was born and raised in Sweden, but moved to the US in 1999 to attend college. It was supposed to be a 1-year program, but 14 years later I'm still here :D I now have dual citizenship as well.

Teddy - where in Sweden are you?

Do you like the US? My husband was originally going to move to the US for me, but he visited me several times for months at a time over the years. It wasn't a good fit for him and he wasn't comfortable there. Hence why I'm here instead. ;)

I am near Stockholm (Färentuna). ^-^

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 01:37:21 AM »
I'm from the US, but I lived in the UK (Scotland) for some time. I've since moved back, but I would loooove to live in Scotland again and would move there tomorrow if I could. Absolutely adored it.

Oh Owlsy I didnt know that! Now you come and stay with me whenever you like :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
I was born and raised in Finland but have lived in France for a year that was originally meant to be 2+ years. I went there to attend a Masters program at [insert name of prestigious institution of higher education here] but, long story short, snapped, dropped everything and went back to Helsinki to study a completely different field. I'm sorry to be vague but it's an unpleasant & complicated thing. However, France is not to blame for that. I'd really like to go back one day, maybe somewhere in the south as that's the climate I enjoy :sunny: Face it, Finland's dark, dank and dreary.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 04:13:41 AM »
Teddy, we're many members from Sweden here, and although I don't live in Stockholm, there are a couple who do who might want to meet up some day. I'll PM you. :)

Offline 4Lindy

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 04:22:16 AM »
Canadian, married an American, and living in the US for the last 16 years!  Don't think I'll get back to Canada except for vacations.  All my family still live in Western Canada!  In fact, I'm hitting the Pony Fair, and gonna keep on driving for a massive 24 hour one way road trip to Southern Alberta to see the family and visit the motherland , lol!

Huge Thanks to Alrak, SourdoughStomper and Mari for my Super Sweetie Siggy\'s!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 06:07:17 AM »
Thanks for wonderful pictures guys! It's amazing how different all these places are :) and i love reading all your experiences!

Teddy, I also moved to Iceland to be with my husband and although I knew Swedish, I didn't know Icelandic and I know how frustrating it is when you have no idea what people are saying around you!
That said though, I personally think that Sweden is the best country ever :P so I hope you will get used to it soon enough :) if you need any help around the language, don't hesitate to contact me since I was also a foreigner learning it once. and, you know, if you just want to talk about how weird it can be to find yourself away from home and not know anyone ;)

~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »
I'm from the US, but I lived in the UK (Scotland) for some time. I've since moved back, but I would loooove to live in Scotland again and would move there tomorrow if I could. Absolutely adored it.

Wow, that's so neat!  I am also from the US, but have lived in Scotland for nearly eight years now.  Whereabouts did you stay?  We are in the St Andrews area.  If it's any consolation, we haven't yet had much of a summer to speak of.  One of my sons keeps calling it December because there has been a chill in the air in recent days.  :P

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:08 AM »
From Germany but living in China since 2009. Currently I'm back in Germany for a Family visit.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
Teddy, we're many members from Sweden here, and although I don't live in Stockholm, there are a couple who do who might want to meet up some day. I'll PM you. :)

Thanks Beldarna! PMed you back. ^-^

Teddy, I also moved to Iceland to be with my husband and although I knew Swedish, I didn't know Icelandic and I know how frustrating it is when you have no idea what people are saying around you!
That said though, I personally think that Sweden is the best country ever :P so I hope you will get used to it soon enough :) if you need any help around the language, don't hesitate to contact me since I was also a foreigner learning it once. and, you know, if you just want to talk about how weird it can be to find yourself away from home and not know anyone ;)

And thank you too, Vintergatan! You guys are so awesome. I'm hoping I will settle in and figure out where to go from here concerning my career and everything soon. And learn more Swedish too, of course. :)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal