collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need to see some positivity on this particular subject...  (Read 8013 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Need to see some positivity on this particular subject...
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »
I know you're not trying to offend but honestly that's a bit of an assumption Avene and not a nice one. Just because a young couple doesn't have kids doesn't make them selfish. You could go the other way. My mom used to work the health department, and I would cringe seeing the amount of people in there unable to properly care for the children. I thought it was selfish they had them and couldn't afford to support their children.
I live in a town now with 80% percent on welfare and the majority of those families are my students families. Do I think those people should have four or five kids they cannot afford? No, and I don't think that makes them more responsible or adult like especially when I'm feeding their children or donating to groups to help buy the kids clothes. Not just for a few mind you this is a large chunk of the population.

I know the wife and I like children. It's the while reason we've had our jobs ( I teach and she used to work at a daycare). I'm not sure if we will ever have children, but I try to avoid laying blanket judgement on others.  I dislike seeing children hate threads but ones on the other side can be just as harsh.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:14:49 AM by madhatterda »
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »

I know the wife and I like children. It's the while reason we've had our jobs ( I teach and she used to work at a daycare). I'm not sure if we will ever have children, but I try to avoid laying blanket judgement on others.

yeah, kids are great. But man, I would be the worst parent. I can't even remember to feed myself (thanks to the brain problems) and the cat, and the cat bites.

Found out my tiny step-brother tells people I'm his favourite person in the world though, and that's awesome.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »
Positivity.  I want positivity.  ^^;

Let's not all harp on avene.  Her specific comment was "a lot of younger adults are all about them selves and do not want to have to buy things for or take care of another person."  She did not say all.  I think that makes a big difference. 

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
Okay, I was referring to myself about pursuing "stuff" - not to anyone else. I have struggled in the past with wanting more stuff. All persons with the screen name SourdoughStomper being referred to as idolizing stuff, please raise your hand. *self raises hand* Anyone else here with that handle? I'll wait patiently.

Lochy, I think your thread is a good one. I loved them while they were babies. So cute and I still squeal at babies when I see them. On the other hand, I'm glad they're done with that stage because I got so so tired. Good thing they were cute, it was self-defense. :P
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

mylittleponylover92

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
Positivity.  I want positivity.  ^^;

Let's not all harp on avene.  Her specific comment was "a lot of younger adults are all about them selves and do not want to have to buy things for or take care of another person."  She did not say all.  I think that makes a big difference.

I hope my comment has been taken too harshly! I was trying to be positive :)  :hug: I was just trying to say as a young person I don't feel that way :)
Also Avene is so lovely around the forum so I'd find it hard to say a bad word about her  :P  ^.^

Bringing a new life into the world is a pretty positive thing in itself - the possibilities for that person in the future are at that moment endless :)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »
Ahh - I love kids! Do not have any of my own (and even though I'm over thirty I'm not quite sure if I'm ready yet either!), but I am God Mother for a bunch of them and they call me auntie. Which is nice :) I buy way to expensive presents for them - no wonder they like me :biggrin:

And also, I think it is a BIG difference between not wanting kids and not liking kids. You can not want them for yourself and that is perfectly fine - it is your own decision. But I'm not so happy about anyone stating out loud that they don't like them. That is too generalizing for me to really think is OK. Kids are after all their own persons and I know about kids I don't like and kids that I love - just like grown-ups, teenagers (and that includes everyone between 13-19 years old) and the elderly. It is individuals we don't like, not whole groups of people. Statements like that *I don't like kids* makes me just sad :cry: and to be honest doesn't really belong anywhere. I would be pretty insulted if I heard someone saying that they didn't like Norwegians for instance :blink:

But this thread were all about positivity (soorry :blush:) and to sum it up - I really like the kids in my life, they are spoiled and awesome! :thumb:  *wraps up some new presents in cute MLP wrapping paper*
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »
If I raise my hand does that mean I get to be SDS?!?

I have no children of my own but I sponsor 2 and I love them (and the previous 2) like they are my own. They are the most amazing people in the world and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Watching them grow and mature is the most wonderful thing. Watching them learn to understand their world and form opinions on life that are all their own. Seeing how they love and smile in spite of everything. I learn so much from them and they touch my life so deeply.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 11:52:07 AM »
Kat, now that Mr. Stomper is employed, I've been thinking about sponsoring kids in other countries. I've enjoyed seeing your stories and pictures and I kinda want to try it myself. :) My family and I like to send the Christmas shoe boxes. It's so fun to shop for kids in other parts of the world. :lovey:

And sure, you can be me. *hands over all the gatekeeping duties* :P
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
I have three kiddos, twin girls (8) and a son (9).  They keep my life crazy, wonderful, and they make my grow as a person.  I wouldn't trade a thing in this world for them.  LOL every time I prayed for patience, I had another child!  They really do teach me to be more selfless, patient, and to slow down and appreciate life. 

Offline Beachball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »
I want my time around a kid(s) to be short and sweet. The thought of spending an entire day (early morning to late at night) with at least one kid makes me feel tired. I have to say I like buying Christmas gifts for kids in families that are hurting financially.

After all, we were all children once!!
Some childfree people who get told "But you were a child once." for saying they don't want children reply with "I disliked other kids when I was a kid!" or "I don't see how being a kid once and wanting children are remotely related."

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
I think people get their fulfillment from various things, for some it's having kids and for some it's not. For all of us, at least some of it comes from ponies.  ;)

On topic, I'm in my late twenties and I'm broody! :lol: In my dream family, I have one birth child, two adopted children and three dogs!  :blush:

I usually just get a rescue puppy when I'm feeling this 'maternal' :lol: (I have 2 dogs), but I must admit in the last year or so, after some of my friends and then my brother had babies, I just felt like I needed to add human babies to my family too! They're so adorable. I might be biased though 'cos their babies are all awesome.  ^.^

We're waiting till we're a bit more settled though. I don't want a child till I know I can provide for one. And I'm still trying to convince BF he wants one 'we made this' baby.  :lol:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
Kat, now that Mr. Stomper is employed, I've been thinking about sponsoring kids in other countries. I've enjoyed seeing your stories and pictures and I kinda want to try it myself. :) My family and I like to send the Christmas shoe boxes. It's so fun to shop for kids in other parts of the world. :lovey:

And sure, you can be me. *hands over all the gatekeeping duties* :P

Well, if you decide you want to, feel free to pm me and I can help you figure things out. I can tell you all about the organization I sponsor through or help you find a different one that's better suited to your need/wants if they aren't right for you. I can tell you it is an amazing experience you're not likely to regret! You may however regret handing me the gate keys. Who knows what sorts of looneys I'll let in?!

kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 12:03:35 PM »
We recently went on a park nature tour with a group of 7 or 8 kids of various ages.  I was a bit worried because we really enjoy nature and quiet and we wanted to hear what the guide had to say and didn't want kids going crazy or distracting from the tour. 

I was so impressed!  Not only were all the kids well behaved (yet still enthusiastic and being kids), but they were interested in everything and had great questions and said some funny things that made the experience even better.  At the end of the tour I was glad they were in the same group with us.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »
I personally haven't seen any "children hate threads" on the Arena at all. I've seen threads were people discuss their personal reasons why they may or may not want children of their own. In fact my post in the one that is active now started with the scentence "I love children", but it still doesn't mean kids are for me. Liking or loving children isn't the same as being able to provide them with a safe, stable home or raising them into independent, confident individuals.

And I don't think anyone has enough insight into my life to say it's any less meaningful than a mothers.

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
I do not believe that is what SDS meant. I feel bad for those who don't want/have/like dogs. I mean how can their lives be happy and wonderful without the fuzzy little face to love and snuggle and make their lives wonderful?!? Does that mean I believe that people don't have wonderful lives with no dogs? Not really. It just means that I can't imagine that as reality, because for me that reality would be dreadful, and that in my world it seems like a dog would only make life better for everyone! Do I know this isn't actually true? I do, but still, to me dogs are the most wonderful thing ever and I wish everyone felt that way so they could feel the happiness I do. Knowing SDS I'm rather certain that's all she meant by her comment.

And with that, I'm going to request that we try to keep things on topic here. The topic isn't about loving/hating/wanting/not wanting/not sure if wanting kids, it's about saying something nice about the tiny people in our lives.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal