collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bait Worthy?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
Bait Worthy?
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
EDIT: Wow, I never expected such a response!  :freak:

I was the only bidder and normally mlp lots (especially older gens) sell for 25 and up so I didn't realize these would be so wanted. I do believe their story is that they were owned by a older woman collector who passed away and now her daughter is trying to sell all her stuff. So hopefully they look as good as they do in the photo  ^.^

After such a positive out reach, here is what I think I am going to do. When they get here I will wash them up a bit and post better pics of them here and offer them up for sale or trade (for example I send you one pony and you send me 2 cruddy bait worthy g3s or whatever). Cut hair, faded paint, marks or whatever I really don't care because they will be used as bait as long as they aren't like missing limbs or chewed or what not :biggrin: Is that fair?

So please don't panic about me chopping them up lol.

Hello all!

:newpony:
I just bought this lot of 20 older gen ponies for 15 on eBay with the intention of using them as bait. However I know nothing about the older gens and I wanted to make sure that none of them were like super rare or something.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 03:48:23 PM by LittleKirara »
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Bait Worthy?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:36:45 AM »
Do you have a pic?

Offline LittleKirara

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »
 :blush: Sorry thought I had attached the pic, its there now! >_<

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »
To be honest, most of those look like they would clean up beautifully with a Magic Eraser and a good dose of conditioner for their hair.

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
They dont really look bait to me at all.. I bet they would clean up really nicely. But im one of those people who would restore even the worst bait.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »
It's hard to see exact condition from the picture, but I would agree that most of those are not bait.

Offline LittleKirara

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
So some would be worth more to just restore? I'm not really a collector (outside of a handful of G4's). If ones worth 5 dollars restored vs 30 turned into a custom, its going to be turned into a custom.

I'm not someone who judges pony's bait-abley by what condition they are in, but rather their rarity.

So thats what I want to know, (I know their condition isn't horrible) are there any rare collectable ones?

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
I want Bonnie Bonnets :o

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 08:56:48 AM »
Well you have some ponies that at least I would love to have in my collection. It would be so sad to see Blueberry Baskets or Movie Firefly made into customs.. Or Princess Moondust. Its not like they're super rare, but still. Such a waste.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
Please don't bait Movie Firefly or some of these others. Hey! I have a faded faded Bonnie Bonnets that I could send in trade to you for something if you wanted ... her symbols are really faded and her hair is all frizzed out.

Movie Firefly - Not really rare, but doesn't come up on Ebay often.
Seashell - Not really rare, but goes for okay amounts on Ebay

Is that NSS Angel?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:00:31 AM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
Wow... there are acutally a few in there that I've been looking for and want personally

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
So some would be worth more to just restore? I'm not really a collector (outside of a handful of G4's). If ones worth 5 dollars restored vs 30 turned into a custom, its going to be turned into a custom.

I'm not someone who judges pony's bait-abley by what condition they are in, but rather their rarity.

So thats what I want to know, (I know their condition isn't horrible) are there any rare collectable ones?

I think your price comparison is very misleading though.  Those ponies that you've linked look like most of them need nothing more than a good cleaning and a hair washing, which is fairly minimal time and supplies investment vs. a custom.

I took a look at your gallery and it looks like you've done a couple of G4's, but you have to consider that G1's are significantly larger than G4's, so you will have to use more hair, more paint (and if you hand paint it will be that much harder to make it look good and sell for that $30 price tag you quoted), and a LOT more time.  You would be better off cleaning those guys and reselling them, and then doing commissions or G4's with the time you saved.

Not to mention selling customs as a whole is NOT a profitable venture, unless you are REALLY good at it like some of the folks here are.  More often than not, if you stop to calculate it out you're paying yourself less than minimum wage, and that's assuming that people will actually buy what you've made (and I've seen quite a few really gorgeous customs that just don't sell).

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
The thing is, baiting is something that should be done by condition rather than rarity -- and this is coming from someone who is very trigger happy when it comes to baiting! If everybody baited all of the Cotton Candys because she's so common, well, she wouldn't be very common anymore! You really should bait only the really bad ones.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
I would gladly trade you some actual G1 baits for those ponies!

definitely do NOT bait blueberry baskets (blue peg with blue hair)
or tossles (blue with pink hair with rabbit symbol - not bowtie above her) - her hair hasn't faded!!
NONE of these are in poor enough condition to bait

and as obvious from this thread...many of us would buy or trade for them, so then you could get ponies that would actually benefit from customizing ;)

*also, condition is VERY important with G1s when considering bait (not just rarity) because they aren't being made any more, and some are deteriorating in conditon. there are *many* out there in poor condition, but the ones you have are very nice condition
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:16:14 AM by Roogna »

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »
Wow, you got all of those for $15?? I can't believe it wouldn't have gone higher. Blueberry Baskets alone is worth more than that. But like the others said, most of these ponies are not suitable for bait and would really be loved and appreciated just as they are. And you wouldn't even have to put any work into them. Sell them just like that and you'd probably triple your money and then some. Honestly you will upset a lot of people if you start baiting good G1s left and right. :( I (like many others) would GLADLY trade you tons of G3 ponies (which wouldn't be missed nearly as much) for just a couple of those G1s you have.

In any event, they of course are yours and you don't have to listen to any of us...but you obviously care since you asked in the first place. =) Thanks for asking first. It would be a huge shame if you used a very rare pony for a custom.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal