collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Decoden Fans! Suggestions?  (Read 438 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Decoden Fans! Suggestions?
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:18:14 AM »
Alright, if you don't know what Decoden is, let's clear that up real quick; it looks like this!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And so on! Decoden is, from what I can gather, the art of glamming up various accessories (keychains, trinket boxes, cellphone/mp3 player cases, etc.) with fake candy, frosting, gems, and so on! You see it a lot in Lolita fashion, it's popular in Japan right now, more so than the States at least! I've seen it around for a while, and I just had a great idea that might look really cute on a pony! ... but I've never done any decoden art before, ever! I barely even know what decoden is! :blush:

So do we have any decoden fans here? Anyone who makes their own decoden stuff? any suggestions or tips for good tutorials, places to buy supplies? :D

(I've Googled about decoden, so while I have the sort of general idea of how it works and what supplies to buy, I'd love to hear more personal accounts from fans of the style! Please help me not make foolish noob mistakes? xD)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Decoden Fans! Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:51:48 AM »
Oof. I love decoden, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I probably will in the winter.

I bought some whipple (for the whipped cream) at the thrift store for CHEAP! I was happy enough it was available here in the US. I probably got lucky. I hear, of course, people use caulk and what not too.

I also got some air dry clay (some popular brand from Japan), and I absolutely ruined it putting it in a ziplock bag. Gotta research a better way to store that stuff.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:12:24 AM »
Oof. I love decoden, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I probably will in the winter.

I bought some whipple (for the whipped cream) at the thrift store for CHEAP! I was happy enough it was available here in the US. I probably got lucky. I hear, of course, people use caulk and what not too.

I also got some air dry clay (some popular brand from Japan), and I absolutely ruined it putting it in a ziplock bag. Gotta research a better way to store that stuff.

... WHIPPLE. THAT'S the brand name! I saw some of it on sale in TRU, like a year back? And it looked intriguing, but I thought, "I'll never need that, why waste money?"

Then again, I have a bad habit of going "OOH! SHINY NEW ART THING!" and then using it once. :blush: But those look like a good starter kits, to see if I like it! Thanks for the tip!! c:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:56:39 AM »
Never done it but I think it's really neat. I know a few members here do it hopefully they'll stop by.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:33 AM »
Will you people stop doing this to me! Every time I see decoden stuff I just get sooo hungry and I crave cookies, sweeties etc :P
There was a topic about this recently and someone had some of their work on DA, and it was just yummy!

I don't think I could handle having any decoden around :S I'd eat it.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:02 AM »
I love Decoden but I haven't done any yet!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
Aww yeah this is so my topic! :P I've loved decoden forever, and have done quite a few pieces. I'll actually have a lot of them up for sale at the fair  ^.^ I use whipple for the frosting part, and then gather random pieces from thrift stores etc. Children's play food works great.

Unfortunately TRU discontinued whipple (which made me  :cry:) so once I use up the 4 tubes I have I'm afraid that's it. I've tried all sorts of different materials and nothing works as well as the whipple.  :huh:

Anyways, here's some photos of my first attempts at decoden. These were made a LONG time ago XD I used plaster for the frosting, which worked okay but is really brittle and chips off easily. Most of the fruits were handmade out of sculpey.

And here's some of the newer whipple stuff, I have better un-instagrammed photos but I cant find them atm

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 07:37:30 AM »
OMG, Rhini, I recognize the green-cupcake-frosting base in the last pic!! LOL, childhood memories! :lmao: Those are gorgeous pieces, I wish I was coming to the Fair this year!!

Can I ask why Whipple is so good? I've heard silicone caulk is good too, and cheap? Is there any issue with it I'm not seeing?

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »
LOL I know I remember playing with it too!!  :lol: Like I mentioned all the toppings are thrift store finds so I find all kinds of stuff to throw on there XD, including my childhood! You are welcome to have a go at whatever comes back from the fair  ^.^ I don't know how well they'll sell.

Whipple is great for a number of reasons, it behaves pretty much the way real frosting would, and it holds in the charms well. It doesn't chip or break easily, and the kits themselves come with different colors and lots of good quality accessories. That being said, I haven't tried silicone caulk but I'll definitely pick some up to test!

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »
LOL I know I remember playing with it too!!  :lol: Like I mentioned all the toppings are thrift store finds so I find all kinds of stuff to throw on there XD, including my childhood! You are welcome to have a go at whatever comes back from the fair  ^.^ I don't know how well they'll sell.

Whipple is great for a number of reasons, it behaves pretty much the way real frosting would, and it holds in the charms well. It doesn't chip or break easily, and the kits themselves come with different colors and lots of good quality accessories. That being said, I haven't tried silicone caulk but I'll definitely pick some up to test!

It looks like Amazon has a lot of the Whipple sets, I was thinking about snagging a couple of those to experiment with! :) They look fun! (And now I recognize which sets my seller bought to make the Cherry Fizzy keychain that I bought at EQLA, LOL!)

Are there any online places you know of that are good for buying little decoden toppers? I've seen some places selling what looks like wholesale bits and bobs in small handfuls, but ... what if I wanna buy a ton at once? XD

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »

It looks like Amazon has a lot of the Whipple sets, I was thinking about snagging a couple of those to experiment with! :) They look fun! (And now I recognize which sets my seller bought to make the Cherry Fizzy keychain that I bought at EQLA, LOL!)

Are there any online places you know of that are good for buying little decoden toppers? I've seen some places selling what looks like wholesale bits and bobs in small handfuls, but ... what if I wanna buy a ton at once? XD
Yeah I looked and they have a pretty full selection! The prices are pretty good too. I usually just buy the plain frosting but the sets have some really cool stuff as well

This website has a TON of stuff http://SophieandToffee.com/, and their prices are really good! Often less than $1 for a lot ^^

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:34:25 AM »

Yeah I looked and they have a pretty full selection! The prices are pretty good too. I usually just buy the plain frosting but the sets have some really cool stuff as well

This website has a TON of stuff http://SophieandToffee.com/, and their prices are really good! Often less than $1 for a lot ^^

... I'm in heaven. @u@ BLESS YOU RHINI

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »
XD I knowwww! So many pretties! @_____@ I need to do like a big $20 order some day

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »
XD I knowwww! So many pretties! @_____@ I need to do like a big $20 order some day

$20?! More willpower than me - can I order the whole site?!!? 8DDD

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »

$20?! More willpower than me - can I order the whole site?!!? 8DDD
:lmao: HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO ORDER ONE OF EVERYTHING :DDDD

not even to use just to like, put all over my room and just bathe in the cute.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal