collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So...sculpting clothes and air dry clay  (Read 501 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
So...sculpting clothes and air dry clay
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
So, I am wanting to get started on making corset ponies, merponies, and ponies with lavish dresses (I'm aiming high for a beginner, I know) and I wanted some tips.

I need a cheap-ish clay to use that would be air dry, as I have heard that is best for things like the dresses.  What do you recommend? 

I also want to start working on a Merpony, but I was curious, after you cut the legs off, I know you can use either mesh or foil, but if you use foil for the shape, do you just sculpt right over the top and smooth it out the best you can? 

Offline babystargazer

• Trade Count: (+182)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So...sculpting clothes and air dry clay
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »
Most air dry clay doesn't work well for sculpting over ponies because it shrinks as it dries.  So it ends up cracking all over the place because it's no longer big enough to encase the pony, if that makes any sense.  Plus it's very brittle and breaks easily.  Apoxiescuplt is really the only clay I know of that doesn't require baking and works well for ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://www.facebook.com/twistedponies/

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
Air-dry clay has the advantage of being very light and the disadvantage of being very brittle.  I second recommending Apoxie Sculpt.  I is better to invest a little rather than losing all your hard work at the end b/c the clay breaks.

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 05:59:06 AM »
to sculpt a merpony tail I use foil, I make the shape I want and push it into the end of the pony and hot glue in place- I do 2 layers of sculpt, I  sculpt a layer of apoxie clay over the foil and bend it in the direction I want the tail to sit and smooth down as much as possible and leave to dry, once dry I put the second layer on and sculpt the scales.
hope this helps :)

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 06:21:08 AM »
LLL is spot on for merpony tails = I used foil as armature than sculpey over that as the underlayer to get the shape just right and bake it then go back over with the tedium of the scales, jewels etc. and a second bake than any paintwork is last

If you don't want to bake I agree on the apoxie sculpt for durability purposes

totally aim high = it's how you improve :-) have a blast creating and can't wait to see results!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal