collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best doll choice to make a custom with?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
Best doll choice to make a custom with?
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »
So, I have decided that I would like to make a couple of custom dolls for my own collection (or at least attempt to. Hey, how different are they from customizing a pony, riiight? XD  ) But I have no idea really on where to start as far as a base doll is concerned, so I was hoping for some advice.

I'm looking for a base doll with decent joints, just not MH since I'm not a fan of how small a body they have for my particular project. I also need a doll line that has a boy model in the line up. My ultimate goal here is to add Hiccup, Jack Frost, Rapunzel, and Merida to my collection (as I am on the band wagon that thinks all four of their movies would go really well together lol). What are the favorite customization options for other people?

I already own Merida from the Disney store, but those legs of hers! DX I wish she could sit down nicely :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Best doll choice to make a custom with?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:16:09 AM »
I've seen some pretty cute LIV dolls, and they aren't terribly expensive to start with.

Offline Kitkumi

• My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:28:30 AM »
I have heard of them before but I don't think I've seen any at my local stores recently. Are they still available? (I live out towards the middle of no where so our stores typically have slim stock anyway lol)

Kobold

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »
That's strange, I thought Liv were pretty much everywhere. I definitely see them in all TRUs.
If you are limited to playline dolls, there isn't  that much choice.

Liv are articulated (but the glass eyes might make them more complicated to customize if you need to change the eye color). But you can change the wigs on them so that's a big plus if you can find the perfect wig for your character. They have males and females.

Most Barbies have knee, elbow and wrist articulation now. Males don't have the wrist one if I remember well. On the plus side, they're very affordable!

Bratzillaz and Bratz's new taller bodies are well articulated, and the large heads are easier to paint.  Buuuut no males announced this year. (You may still find the older Bratz boys in store though - they'll just be shorter than the new versions, which might work for a young small character like Hiccup?).

Alicat

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
They are not available at retail chains any more, but I have seen them in big lots, Tuesday morning stores, and Ross stores lately. Also, check amazon. This board will usually have a few up every so often!

They sound like your best bet! Wigs can change iut , and eyes can be removed and changed without a TON of work!

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:54:26 AM »
Something else to consider is swapping heads and bodies, that can be done with many of the fashion dolls out there.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »
Integrity's "Fashion Royalty" dolls are really well made and very nicely articulated-  they are definitely thicker (and bigger) than MH-  (1:6 size).  I've seen some amazing customs with these dolls...

Offline megsense

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/megsense/
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
Integrity's "Fashion Royalty" dolls are really well made and very nicely articulated-  they are definitely thicker (and bigger) than MH-  (1:6 size).  I've seen some amazing customs with these dolls...

The price point on these are a bit much though, be warned.

LIV dolls are nice (ebay, TRU), but with glass eyes it limits what you may wanna get into. I prefer Barbie.

Line art from MLP:fim

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
It's true Integrity dolls are kinda pricey.   I have an extra Rio who is extremely handsome- but he was $119.  I guess Integrity dolls would not be a good choice if you are a beginning customizer.  You should probably start with Bratz and the like...

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
Fashionista Ken dolls no longer have the jointed kness (they don't bend at all now)

Have you looked at Obitsus? They have different heads and the bodies are articulated.
http://www.junkyspot.com/obindex.html
(they sell them on ebay too)

Offline Kitkumi

• My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
Wow, thank you all so much for all the input and advice! I hadn't thought of the head and body swapping idea until Tiella mentioned it. Any one have any favorite combinations or know which dolls work well to swap around?

I think I will choose something common and found in stores for now, since I am just a beginner, so I don't royally screw up and be out a chunk of change. I'm thinking maybe work with the Liv doll body and either try some eye swapping or head swapping.

WildLace

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:12 AM »
To solve the problem with Merida, you can re-body her on a Liv doll. I did it with my DS Ariel (She had the same body). Hayden is the best match IMO as Katie is too peachy and Sophie is pale but just slightly too dark to match Ariel. I don't know if Merida has the same Skin tone as Ariel but I am sure she will match either Hayden or Sophie.

What you could also do is find a nice head of a ken that will match your characters head shape, customize it and put his head on a Liv guy body. than both boys and girls have the same articulation.

Good luck with the customizing. Post pics when you are done so we can all see  :biggrin:

Offline Kitkumi

• My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:54:19 AM »
To solve the problem with Merida, you can re-body her on a Liv doll. I did it with my DS Ariel (She had the same body).

Did you post pictures up of your DS Ariel over on the Disney Doll thread? If the one over there is yours, she looks really good.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
If you go into the LIV thread here on the the arena there are tutorials on how to swap the eyes of a live with BJD eyes. :D

Bratz might be a good choice, but the boys are still kinda skinny.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

WildLace

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »
To solve the problem with Merida, you can re-body her on a Liv doll. I did it with my DS Ariel (She had the same body).

Did you post pictures up of your DS Ariel over on the Disney Doll thread? If the one over there is yours, she looks really good.

Yes that is my one  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal