collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Are you bothered about the condition of the ponie's neck seal?

Ponies must remain factory sealed for my collection
4 (9.8%)
I don't mind if heads are re-sealed with tacky glue
8 (19.5%)
I prefer heads to be loose but only if there is no damage to vinyl
12 (29.3%)
I prefer heads to be loose as long as there is no visible damage to vinyl
17 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: June 21, 2013, 02:01:07 PM

Author Topic: Condition of neck seal  (Read 739 times)

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
Re: Condition of neck seal
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 11:33:01 AM »
Prefer them to be loose. Even though I live in a very arid area I'm still paranoid of icky things living inside my ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:11 AM »
Prefer them to be loose. Even though I live in a very arid area I'm still paranoid of icky things living inside my ponies.

This is how I feel - I want to catch any problems early or prevent them
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »
Hmmm. I've never really thought about it before. lol

Tirac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »
It depends on the condition of the rest of the pony.
If the neck seal is perfect but the tail is all rusty and the inside is gross I am going to open the pony.
I NEVER re-glue. That only makes a mess.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
Now going off topic but just to say that Gusty's rusty bit is improving as is Cherries Jubilee's yellow mark. Using hot water and magic eraser.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »
Is there an "other" tab? :blush:  I don't really mind if the neck seal is compromised, not even if the vinyl is damaged... though I prefer they not be resealed (I still like the option to check that nothing nasty is developing within).

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 03:31:34 AM »
I don't mind any loose heads, as long as people didn't rip up half the neck to do so. (And even then I might be prone to seeing what can be fixed. I'm a sucker for restore jobs I suppose.)
Most of the ponies I get are grubby and I have to do a lot of cleaning, so it's not like I don't pop most heads off myself anyways.

I do like the head to fit back on nicely.
Having to use a knife to cut the glue (I try not to, but sometimes I see no other option really), tends to make the glue look choppy and the seal very obvious, so if that is the case I'll grab some acetone and smooth it out until he head fits back on nicely again.
I suppose that's taking them further away from original as well, but it certainly helps their look. I've even had one pony where I honestly thought I'd nicked the vinyl, but it turned out to be another layer of glue instead, as the nick magically disappeared when I was smoothing out the neckline.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »

Having to use a knife to cut the glue (I try not to, but sometimes I see no other option really), tends to make the glue look choppy and the seal very obvious, so if that is the case I'll grab some acetone and smooth it out until he head fits back on nicely again.
I suppose that's taking them further away from original as well, but it certainly helps their look. I've even had one pony where I honestly thought I'd nicked the vinyl, but it turned out to be another layer of glue instead, as the nick magically disappeared when I was smoothing out the neckline.

This is a good tip  :cool: 

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:53 PM »
It's really great to see so many replies to the poll. Now I'm wondering about Aleene's tacky glue. Some heads don't sit that well without glue even though not damaged  so I'm tempted to give it a go.

What I'd like to know is, how hard is it to get heads back off again if you seal them with this stuff? I imagine it's fairly easy with hot water? If so it might be a good option.

But is it truly archival? Everyone recommends it but how long have the community been using it? Does it ever soften and go sticky again or cause discoloration?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »
I would use a basic model glue as they are designed to be used on similar projects but you would need to check to make sure you were happy with it.

There have been pony collectors about for a very long time and at the end of the day G1 ponies have had glue on their neck for the last 30 years or so :P Glue of any kind will break down over time and in different conditions. Removing a head again will be much the same as removing it under original conditions - it will depend on the glue, the plastic, how its set and the general condition the pony has been stored in.

My only one recommendation is try to avoid superglue - superglue is really aggressive and will melt some plastics over time.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »
My only one recommendation is try to avoid superglue - superglue is really aggressive and will melt some plastics over time.

Melty plastic?  Urgh! :blink:

Thank you for the warning!  I have a Bright Bouquet to rehead and was wondering what to use... now I know not to use this. :cool:

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
at the end of the day G1 ponies have had glue on their neck for the last 30 years or so :P

And it seems like only yesterday...

I think another experiment is called for, will let you know how it goes. Would be good to get together a list of UK brand products that people know work/are safe for restoration (Dawn Dish and Aleen's Tacky Glue can be bought from amazon over here but y'know). I have been reading the websites of people obsessed with valeting cars and boats and it's brought up some interesting ideas about looking after vinyl generally, I also have a contact at the V&A so I might try there :wonder:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal