collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you like the SDCC?

Yes, Love It!
29 (10.9%)
Yes, but its Not worth the money!
47 (17.7%)
No, Its not worth the money!
155 (58.5%)
Need to see it in person.
16 (6%)
Not sure yet.
18 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 217

Author Topic: SDCC pony revealed!  (Read 13515 times)

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
Re: SDCC pony revealed!
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »
I wonder what the general reaction to her is on more Brony centric forums is.  Because in all honesty, I was expecting a g4 fan favourite, so that isn't my beef.  My problem is that you can already buy her, so how is she an exclusive figure? Glitter doesn't automatically make something extra special.

I think Hasbro thinks it does. :P

Hasbro are like kindergartners in that sense.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
Seeing the higher resolution images she is growing on me. Makes me wonder what she is made from and if I can saw off the hair and maker her brushable..... hmm...

That's an idea but if it were me I wouldn't spend $50 to do that.  You could always wait and get the funko vinyl if you wanted, because it'll be cheaper.  It's up to you this is just my opinion.  :)

Post Merge: June 06, 2013, 03:32:00 PM

I wonder what the general reaction to her is on more Brony centric forums is.  Because in all honesty, I was expecting a g4 fan favourite, so that isn't my beef.  My problem is that you can already buy her, so how is she an exclusive figure? Glitter doesn't automatically make something extra special.

I think Hasbro thinks it does. :P

Hasbro are like kindergartners in that sense.

Agreed.  ;)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »

People over at EQD seem to love her. I don't think anyone needs to hope that she will not be expensive. XP

Actually- the reaction seems pretty lukewarm to me.  People like her, many people love her, but even so- are not going to buy her because she is $50.  I'm not seeing even a fraction of the reaction that last year's pony got. 

I actually think there will be a lot of these around after the SDCC.  I was looking on ebay and the prices for pre-sales are already dropping- there are NONE sold yet.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »
Do you know what else is weird about her as a release?

It almost implies she wont ever get a fashion style release...the joy of the art ponies and even of Miss Drama herself last year was that these were not ponies which were going to turn up in store. These were special ponies which would appeal to an adult collector and who would never be on shelves.

By making a character who is in your show into an exclusive you, in theory, preclude yourself from releasing her in that way in the future in regular retail. 

The exception perhaps being that maybe that's why her hair is moulded - so that if they release her again she will be brushable.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
I dunno... very few ponies get fashion style releases period, so that's not a big deal. And drama pony is getting a standard brushable soon, and her hair wasn't molded, and Pon-3's already had one.

Offline Shiromisa

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2013, 05:41:31 PM »
Yeah, the price is what's giving me second thoughts. $20 like last year's? Buy her in a heartbeat. $50? ...ehhhhh, notsoverymuch.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »
Seeing the higher resolution images she is growing on me. Makes me wonder what she is made from and if I can saw off the hair and maker her brushable..... hmm...

Better off just using a FS Rarity and making the goggles yourself.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline CuddlyParrot

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Cuddlyparrot's Nestbox
« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2013, 06:03:22 PM »
True- I think it is custom making time.

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »
After reading all 20 pages of comments and considering them carefully, some of the thoughts on Dj are really fair, but I'd urge most of you to hold off final judgment until you see her in person.  Here's why- and a few other thoughts: 

I agree- it would have been nice to see this exclusive with brushable hair, but then she had a brushable release already and styling brushable hair to look show accurate on this one would have been a nightmare.  While Dj's been a 'Brony' favorite, there are so many 'mane 6' ponies and items- it really is nice to see a different pony getting some attention, and my hope is she might gain a minor role in future episodes.  I would have liked to have seen Hasbro include a matching DJ pin or lanyard for the cost, but then Swarovski crystals are very expensive.  Speaking from an artist's viewpoint, this pony clearly wasn't designed to be removed from the box (and most collectors don't debox anymore anyways).  The background on the box shows a disco room- and those little crystal embellishments are going to light up and sparkle more than that picture can show- and the effects should be beautiful.  If you've ever been roller-skating under a prismatic disco ball, the people and the floor fill with little sparkles which are really enchanting.  No online picture can show that too well- or hardly at all. 

As for the art ponies-  I'm actually very glad Hasbro has changed them.  I completely loved the peacock one, and the ocean is one of my most favorite, but as for the more macabre pony and superhero ones- not at all. It is a bit surprising that Hasbro didn't do anything cross-gen for the 30th, and disappointing too, but then FiM has become the main selling force for them.  Anyways, I know I'm in the vast minority at the moment- at least from those that've spoken up, but Dj looks like she'll be marvelous in person and I'm looking forward to her. 
 :lovey:             

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »
Which art pony is the "more macabre"?  Do you mean the blue and black one?  (I love her!)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2013, 08:41:17 PM »
The High-res image just makes me not want her even more... the random glitter on the feet and rhinestone placement just makes me go 'Bleh'

Post Merge: June 06, 2013, 08:46:23 PM

also I will never see her in person because I can't got to SDCC :(
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:46:23 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2013, 01:51:05 AM »
I dunno... very few ponies get fashion style releases period, so that's not a big deal. And drama pony is getting a standard brushable soon, and her hair wasn't molded, and Pon-3's already had one.

But that in itself is disappointing - I love the FS size and by saying very few get that we are restricting ourselves to simply continual main 6 + princesses releases of these over and over and over and over again. *shrug* more a depressing thought about the line in general that anything which is not the main 6 + FS size is only going to exist if its an exclusive.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2013, 04:56:33 AM »
I love Swarovski, but the light up box might end up driving me nuts when it eventually stops working. I would have preferred a holographic design.

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2013, 06:17:21 AM »
I would have liked to have seen Hasbro include a matching DJ pin or lanyard for the cost, but then Swarovski crystals are very expensive.  Speaking from an artist's viewpoint, this pony clearly wasn't designed to be removed from the box (and most collectors don't debox anymore anyways).  The background on the box shows a disco room- and those little crystal embellishments are going to light up and sparkle more than that picture can show- and the effects should be beautiful.  If you've ever been roller-skating under a prismatic disco ball, the people and the floor fill with little sparkles which are really enchanting.  No online picture can show that too well- or hardly at all. 

I agree, as a complete package - to stay in the display box, I think it works, and to me the price tag isn't an issue. As said the crystals will drive the price up and are aimed to add quality, rather than just using diamante/plastic gems. And with the light up box/disco feel I think everything works together really well. Perhaps sparkles just need to be seen in real life?

I do agree that the battery thing will be annoying, but do we know whether they will be replaceable?

Nothing will ever satisfy everyone unfortunately and it may well be annoying that things are being catered towards newer fans, but they are part of the fan base, and do help to drive sales and keep MLP in the limelight.
Many of us could easily fill our pony needs by buying second hand G1 - 3 without the need for the current gen. Of course lots us us buy those too, but the demand from other fan areas helps keep new things coming  :)

And really... If I were at SDCC (or fair if it's the fair pony) I would buy her in a heartbeat but I'm rather far away :yikes:  :P  But if sales of her are slow the resales hopefully won't be in Bubbles territory so I might stand a chance of getting one :biggrin:

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2013, 06:22:15 AM »
You know, since DJ is a pony about music they should have had a music element about her.  Some people had mentioned turning her into an ipod speaker or something.  That would have made sense.  For $50 that would have made more sense actually.  

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal