collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else put off buying high ticket ponies because....?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone else put off buying high ticket ponies because....?
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:38:27 AM »
Recently I have a nice amount of money in my Paypal account from Ebay sales and I've been thinking about treating myself to one or two quite expensive G1 ponies for my collection as a present for finishing my degree.

But I'm scared to do so! If I go and buy a really minty, rare pony, I feel constantly in worry that they are going to develop some sort of fault while they are in my possession and become de-valued.

This happened to me a couple of months ago when I looked across my collection to find that both my Mimic and my Ice Crystal had developed small cancer spots since I'd introduced them to the herd. This was heartbreaking for me as they were both perfect when I got them.

I just don't want this to happen to a SERIOUSLY rare/expensive pony if I got one... and it's dissuading me from these lovely ponies...

Do these thoughts go through anyone elses mind? or should I just suck it up as part and parcel of collecting a vintage toy... I just don't know!

:blink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Anyone else put off buying high ticket ponies because....?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:44:53 AM »
What's your view on the cause of cancer spots?xx
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »
What's your view on the cause of cancer spots?xx

I am lead to believe that they're just due to a natural degradation of the plastic in some ponies and there's nothing you can really do about it (it's not like I live in an exceptionally hot climate :D). In that case it was particularly bad luck as those two ponies were the only two affected in a collection of over 800. Nor were they both stored in the same place.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:54:15 AM »
That is a hard one! Toys do not stay perfect forever and I would think that it would still be sought after even if it had a spot or town.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
Aw hun, I have the same thing! I made a huge mistake in spending £300 (I think it was this much, it makes me feel sick, and I never discuss it) after I passed my GCSEs. I could have bought a car, and I regretted it ever since. The ponies I bought are in really poor condition too, from the known scammer Nurse Glory on ebay. Never regretted something so much in my life. Now, I am extremely careful not to spend out big style. I think one expensive pony for something like your degree is perfectly reasonable, but if you worry about it more than you enjoy it, spend it on something more useful, like some pamper items or a new dress etc.

Congrats!! xx

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
I've never bought from ebay but I've had a friend get webkinz for me on ebay a while back and I'd send her the money for them.  Check feedback, read comments, if there's a negative feedback in there read why.  If you're still unsure maybe you can contact the seller and ask questions.  Find out where the ponies have been.  I always thought mold or cancer was due to the ponies being in a place that was damp, but I really don't know.  For that kind of money you want to be 100% certain before you buy the pony.

I hope you find something you'll love.  Good luck. :)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
I worry more about finding the pony cheaper later.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »
I buy ponies for my collection because I love them and want to spend time with them, so I don't worry too much about their future value. Once I have them, they're friends, so things like plastic deterioration won't change how I feel about them. What really gets me is "Wow! That is a lot of money for a small chunk of (extremely cute) plastic! It won't stop me forever from getting the ones I most want, but it definitely makes me think a long time before I actually spend the money.

If I'm really of two minds about whether or not to buy something, I'll just wait. If I keep wanting it, and can't stop thinking about it, then eventually I'll get it.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »
Recently I have a nice amount of money in my Paypal account from Ebay sales and I've been thinking about treating myself to one or two quite expensive G1 ponies for my collection as a present for finishing my degree.

But I'm scared to do so! If I go and buy a really minty, rare pony, I feel constantly in worry that they are going to develop some sort of fault while they are in my possession and become de-valued.

This happened to me a couple of months ago when I looked across my collection to find that both my Mimic and my Ice Crystal had developed small cancer spots since I'd introduced them to the herd. This was heartbreaking for me as they were both perfect when I got them.

I just don't want this to happen to a SERIOUSLY rare/expensive pony if I got one... and it's dissuading me from these lovely ponies...

Do these thoughts go through anyone elses mind? or should I just suck it up as part and parcel of collecting a vintage toy... I just don't know!

:blink:

I would say hold of then-  ponies are already very old, and there are so many things that go wrong with them.  If you will feel bad if something goes wrong- well definitely don't get the pony.  Ponys are not very good investments- they're just kinda fun  :biggrin:

Chinabun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »
I buy ponies for my collection because I love them and want to spend time with them, so I don't worry too much about their future value. Once I have them, they're friends, so things like plastic deterioration won't change how I feel about them. What really gets me is "Wow! That is a lot of money for a small chunk of (extremely cute) plastic! It won't stop me forever from getting the ones I most want, but it definitely makes me think a long time before I actually spend the money.

If I'm really of two minds about whether or not to buy something, I'll just wait. If I keep wanting it, and can't stop thinking about it, then eventually I'll get it.

This... I never think too much of future value. If you need an investment, dont buy a "toy" - but if its something you really want and it would make you feel happy and satisfied having one in your collection (without the worry bit) id say go for it.

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »
As long as I am comfortable with the price I'm paying then I go for it.  Sometimes a pony that might only be $20.00 or less I might really want but I might wait until I see the pony for less or for better condition.  Sometimes I might want a mint one but I find a pony with problems and the photo makes me want "that" pony.  Yes, it's nice to know the condition of a pony before you get it.  But to worry about the pony getting issues is just something that is likely to happen even to the mintest of ponies.  Sad to see and can be disheartening but hopefully you can still enjoy the pony as it is.  Sometimes when the pony is really expensive if you don't mind some issues with the pony ahead of time that you know about you might get it less and maybe that'll soften any additional problems that might come up in the future.  If the amount bothers you in the first place it'll probably bother even more in the future if something were to happen to the pony in the future.

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
It just depends how much it bothers you if a pony has a mark or gets a mark through aging. I don't care for public value of ponies unless I'm attempting to buy them ha. All my ponies have personal value to me which is what matters to me.

With age spots/cancer whatever it is, it's gonna happen to a lot of ponies over time.  You just have to decide whether the more rare ponies are worth adding to your collection if they are going to develop these flaws :(

And a pony can be MIB/MOC and still have plasticizer problems eeeew.

I hope you can buy some new rare ponies and not worry about age problems  :biggrin:
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline GustyFox

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A Planewalker fox in human disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »
O sold some of my most expensive ponies exactly for that reason. I was feeling like I couldn't care for them in the way the needed/deserved. Specially because I'm constantly moving around from place to place.

(And I keep losing stuff in the way, I should keep my collecting to a minimum but it is so hard to avoid cute ponies when they are affordable >.<)

Lovely GustyFox adoptable by MoonFlower. Thank you.

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
I worry more about finding the pony cheaper later.

This is me, too.  I am afraid of overspending.  I have also gotten ponies cheaper in the past and sold them, thinking I would be able to replace or upgrade them later for a similar price, and I have totally regretted it.  That was in my novice collecting days.  Now I don't sell unless I a) know for sure I don't want that particular pony (if it's one I don't care for), or b) have an upgrade already in my possession. 

mercynova, that really is so sad that two of your most valuable ponies wound up having random pony cancer.  I don't blame you for being a bit worried about spending that much just to have them develop problems in future. :hug:

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
I never worry about this, but I'm not likely to sell them again though... I only have a herd of 30 ponies, so when I buy any they most likely will stay on :) OR if they do not, I bought them to make me happy at that time (and it probably did as well!) - so degrading old toys is the natural way of things. I never buy ponies to invest - it rarely goes that way anyway ;)

K.
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal