collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Jasmine dolls (help a Disney n00b out, plz)  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Jasmine dolls (help a Disney n00b out, plz)
« on: May 31, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »
Hey guys!

I've been wondering... is there any website/list/guide to the Disney (Princess) dolls?
I'm interested in learning more about them, especially Jasmine. I have seen that there are plenty of incarnations, some with great costumes but lack of articulation and some with articulation but odd costumes. My goal is to find an articulated Jasmine with an outfit close to her movie counterpart :)

Any advice?
Thanks in advance! ^^

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Jasmine dolls (help a Disney n00b out, plz)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
My fave Disney doll place is this flickr group. It's by no means comprehensive, but I really like browsing what they have collected.

Tonner has done this quite lovely Jasmine if you don't mind expensive and sold out  :lol:

Hope that helps a bit! :hug:

edit: fixed because incoherent rambling :P
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:58:48 PM by Zombelina »
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:22:11 AM »
Ahh, thank you! :hug:

But not thank you for tempting me with this expensive doll! I couldn't possibly afford something from Tonner Dolls, arrgh.
The flickr group was indeed helpful to get an overall impression! But, I will never understand why the best characters have only one mesely Barbie version? Jane, Meg, Princess Kida. Apparently you're not allowed to join the Disney Princess ranks if you're a princess whose movie didn't make much money ;)
And in Jane and Meg's case, if you are 'only' a jungle queen and married to a frickin' god, lol!

And the guy dolls scare the crap out of me. Well, the big majority of them.

However, this group mostly covers the Barbies and some exclusives.
I have seen that there are more dolls out there. I would love to know when which doll came out so I won't overpay for my new Jasmine ^^#
I've totally fallen for this one's outfit and face, but I can't make out if she's articulated or not and she also looks rather pricey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Do you know what/who she is, 'Lina?

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
There are actually two versions of Meg ;) Fashion Secrets and the one that came with Hercules.

I still have my 1991 release Jasmine, which was released the same time as the film, and she's about as accurate as you can get. No overskirts, original faceshape, moulded on big earrings. I've got one nude too that I found with the green outfit that needs new elastic on her ankles.

Have a browse on the disneystore for the current releases. Think glittering/sparkling princess is their current push.

She is NOT - Theme Park exclusive, sparkling, classic, singing, designer, arabian nights, glitter princess, sparkling princess, enchanted tales..

There IS a Disney store exclusive that looks very similar. (121117729915 on ebay)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:56:45 AM by Yuitsu »

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:16:55 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Yuitsu, she looks Disney Store-esque to me... something about the style of her face/head mold. I can't pinpoint which one she is exactly either, though, hmm... She's really pretty ^.^

Hehee, totally agree about the poor girls who got the shaft. I LOVE Meg, I have the Fashion Secrets version which I love as well, but it's entirely crappy that she hasn't gotten a single new doll since 1997! Whaaaat. She's so great.  :nope:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Yuitsu

• Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:32:25 PM »
I went through all the ebay listings avaliable to me in the UK and didn't spot any exactly the same, just the one I mentioned. Any chance the photo is a prototype/pre-mass production image?

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
I found this image while searching for "Classic Jasmine doll" on flickr.
She is part of a series of Disney Princesses, all of them sharing this swirly pattern somewhere on their clothes.
I hope she exists because I'd love to have her ^^#

I still have my original Jasmine as well. The one you mentioned, Yuitsu!
But the lack of articulation really bugs me. That's why I seek to replace her :)

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
Zapper wrote  "But, I will never understand why the best characters have only one mesely Barbie version? Jane, Meg, Princess Kida. Apparently you're not allowed to join the Disney Princess ranks if you're a princess whose movie didn't make much money ;)"

I think that it all comes down to who is the main character in the film. Meg, Jane and Kida are not the main characters of their respective films. The main characters of those films are male, so toys were boy based as the target market even though they tossed in a few dolls for the girls. If you think about it, with the exception of Jasmine, all the other "princesses" (Snow, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Pocahontas, Mulan, Rapunzel, Tiana and now Merida) are the main character of their respective films.

I TOTALLY agree with Zapper though on the versions. I think it's also a change in time period. The amount of time that toys are marketable now days is so short compared to the 80's and 90's. Dolls and series used to hang around for years before a new one would come out and now the turn over rate is so fast. Since Aladdin was released back in 1992, the products were available for a much longer period and included more female based toys. Disney and other companies are trying to capture "the boy market" today because the girl market for them is stable. If Aladdin was released today instead of years ago, who knows if we would have gotten as many Jasmine dolls now as were made back then.

In regards to articulation and affordability, basically it comes down to the dolls from the Disney Store or also the Disney Parks. Recently (in the last year or so) it seems as though the park dolls were given the same joint treatment as the Disney Store dolls, so articulation in the upper body, and the bendable legs. You could always find an articulated Jasmine that you like, and then acquire the outfit from another doll to make your own Jasmine.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:01:41 PM by toyjunky »

Offline Yuitsu

• Gamer Pony
    • View Profile

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
Found her! Took ages.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/deluxe-jasmine-doll-and-wardrobe-play-set---11

I LOVE YOU!

I think I will try to hunt this Jasmine down for the outfit and head and just make my own Frankenjasmine with a random articulated body ^^

Offline Yuitsu

• Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 12:11:02 AM »
Look at the Obitsu bodies. I have one in a tone called coconut (which was limited, but they've now done a full release of it) that I suspect will match. Will have to dig her out and compare.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:45:21 AM »
Thanks for the hint, Yuitsu!

Oh man, seems like all I can find right now are the new releases, not this particular one.
If anyone comes across her, please let me now ^^

Offline Yuitsu

• Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 08:32:51 AM »
She is buyable from disneystore.com, not sure about UK

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
Really? Because I checked disneystore.com and it said "sold out" o,o
The other ones (.de, .fr, .co.uk) only have the current release and don't even list the old Jasmines anymore.

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
I believe that  is a 2010 Jasmine... so, sorry she would only be available to buy second hand :(

She had several releases , on her own, with accessories, in a pack with other princesses, maybe some more. And in each she'd have a different outfit.

Somone did a great comparison of the Jasmines here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/godsnooki/7747669266/

EDIT: though in that photo she looks shorter than normal, has slipped down in the doll stand
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:37:19 PM by Lyra »
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal