collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Watercolor pencils and pastels?  (Read 770 times)

StarberryTart

• Trade Count: (0)
Watercolor pencils and pastels?
« on: May 30, 2013, 05:14:11 AM »
So I thought I might try my hand at a CAM or custom Monster High doll, so I went looking for tutorials. One of the tutorials, which had great results, used watercolor pencils and pastels for eye details and blush.

Would this work well in regards to a custom pony? I'm mostly talking about the G4 toys.
Or is this something that's been tried and doesn't work because of the plastic type?
I'm wondering because I'm much better at pencil work when it comes to the tiny details than I am with acrylics.

This is the tutorial that I'm talking about: http://www.nonaptime.com/2012/07/an-illustrated-guide-to-repainting/

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Watercolor pencils and pastels?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 02:30:18 AM »
I should see no reason why not if the surface is properly prepared with a matte/dull sealer (like mr super clear flat, as mentioned in that tutorial.) I really like the MSC I got, but there are cheaper alternatives like testors dullcote and citadel (a warhammer minis product)

I admit I had never heard of using pencils, chalk and such on custom toys before getting into monster high. Now I wish I would've tried sooner.

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:19:17 AM »
I've used chalk pastels for blush and eyeshadow and such before. It's pretty common, but I've never heard or thought about using pencils. I'm totally going to try it, because I have much better control with a pencil too.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »
We talked a little about this in this thread - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,332031.0.html

Many of my model horse friends who are starting to do MLP customs are pastel artist.  That is they paint with pastel pigments in layers. 

I know my daughter plans to try the water color pencil trick for MLP eyes as she is better with those then a paint brush at this time.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »
It does work.  Retrograde is an artist that made some nice pastel custom ponies a while back.  I can't find the link at the moment, but the effect is beautiful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal