collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So are "cutie marks" for all ponies now?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Re: So are "cutie marks" for all ponies now?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »
Well the toy line isn't both sides on G4... At least none of mine have them on both sides!
Wow really? I wonder why that is, because in the show it's confirmed to be both sides, no offense.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »
I only really focus on the real ponies - even in the G1 cartoons, there were alot of weird animation "oddities" or even drawings of ponies from backcard or pamphlet art who were pegasus that should've been earth or unicorns that should've been pegs... so the actual "drawings" have artist interpretation... plus, on a show you have to have on both sides or your poor pony would only be showing it if they were facing one direction all the time... :biggrin:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
I only really focus on the real ponies - even in the G1 cartoons, there were alot of weird animation "oddities" or even drawings of ponies from backcard or pamphlet art who were pegasus that should've been earth or unicorns that should've been pegs... so the actual "drawings" have artist interpretation... plus, on a show you have to have on both sides or your poor pony would only be showing it if they were facing one direction all the time... :biggrin:
That's a good way of looking at it. :accomplished:  Thanks.

Note to admins: I'll try and be on topic next post.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »
About G2 I remember that there was a thread at the old arena were they had an instruction page I think it was one of the ponies wit batteries and it said something about "the pony's tattoo"  :drunk:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
I agree with Sunshine and Rhini, I would be pretty sure it was simply "the most obvious place" to put the symbol - a large flat-ish area - which can be easily stamped = flank = symbols placement. :)

There were certainly toys prior to MLP to use "symbols" on animals in some way but Hasbro were the first to make it the main feature of a line of ponies it was more decorative and a little inconsequential and it wasnt an entire line of toys. They had to have a reasonably unique item in order to get the patent after all. Its also why we call everything else bar MLP "fakies" as if MLP were copying something else then they would be the fakie product!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
I've never liked the term "cutie mark" and I doubt I ever will. It sticks in the craw the same way Hasbro's trend towards putting "sparkle-this" and "glitter-that" in every pony's name started happening with G3 and continues into G4.   I prefer symbol because it is more neutral and doesn't imply that every pony must have something cute applied to their backside. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 11:50:32 AM »
They have, and always will be "Symbols" to me.
I have always hated the term "cutie mark" I remember they started that with G3.. and I was like "whaaaaa?"

My boyfriend is a die hard Hotwheels collector, and the stamps and decals on the cars are called "Tampos" (sounds like Tampons! but it's "officially" what they are called)

When he calls or texts when he finds a pony.. he always says "pink with pink hair and spots tampos" haha.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:52:07 AM by Jinxxy »
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
They have, and always will be "Symbols" to me.
I have always hated the term "cutie mark" I remember they started that with G3.. and I was like "whaaaaa?"

My boyfriend is a die hard Hotwheels collector, and the stamps and decals on the cars are called "Tampos" (sounds like Tampons! but it's "officially" what they are called)

When he calls or texts when he finds a pony.. he always says "pink with pink hair and spots tampos" haha.

Haha that's cute Jinxxy! I too agree - Symbol is the term I choose to use, but was trying to figure out maybe a delineation where collectors who prefer Cutie Mark could say, okay Cutie Marks are on single sides of the toys, Symbols are when on both sides? But, even to this day, G4s to me have symbols as well...

My Want List

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
I prefer "rump markings"...

...not really, rofl ^^

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »
I prefer "rump markings"...

...not really, rofl ^^

That's adorable! Rump marking!! :biggrin:

I still like "pony tattoo"... a rump tat. I'm gonna start describing all my ponies as that, "Nice body, rump tat in good shape, ..." LOL :haha:

My Want List

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »

Okay, first the on topic part; To all those who have explained the fact that non-MLP ponies have symbols/cutie marks, they make sense.

Okay, now on to what this post has become about.

Alright, on the whole Symbols Vs Cutie Marks thing; I think that it should simply be what the individual wants to call them, so there is no wrong or right.  So SunshinePony, you have no need to think of a way to separate the two terms by coming up with a way to differentiate the two.  Just call them what you want them to be called.

I understand that a lot of you prefer symbol because it's what you grew up with.  I was introduced to the name cutie mark first, and because the way it was portrayed as being a symbol of each ponies true talents, purpose in life, and true identity, it really resonated with me when I watched my very first episode of MLP:FIM ("Show Stoppers").  As a child I was very much like the CMC, not really know what my purpose in life was, so I go with "cutie marks" due to a sentimental attachment I have with the name, and what they mean to me.

That said, I do not forbid anyone to refer to them as symbols.  I just hope no one minds me saying cutie mark.

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
I've loved MLP since the 80s.  I was never satisfied with any of the names for pony markings.  Cutie mark seems odd to me! But so does symbol.   Just as long as I know what people mean, I don't care what wording they use. :)
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
What makes you think you could "forbid" anyone from using the term symbols, regardless?   :blink:  Pretty sure that wasn't your intent, but it came off a bit presumptuous. Everyone can use whatever they want, symbol, cutie mark, butt tattoo, rump stamps, whatever.  It's all good. 

A rose by any other name... 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »
When we were kids in the 80's, I don't even think we used a name for them. I say 'cutie mark' now because most of the people I talk to either a) were introduced to ponies by FiM or b) knows what I mean. I think it's cool to have a universal term for them that everyone can use. Although I do think it is a weird term in and of itself. Not something I would have come up with on my own for sure.

As we've seen here, the term could have been MUCH mush worse.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »

A$$ tats. We will just call them that XD
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal