collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever After High Discussion Thread!  (Read 37611 times)

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
Re: Ever After High Discussion Thread!
« Reply #525 on: June 02, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
I just thought of something last night while I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep. How awesome would it be if they did a caterpillar character doll?!

:heart:

Honestly, that is my biggest disappointment with the line right now (I think I've said it before tho..) - When I first heard fairy tales I was thinking Unicorns, Dragons, Fairies, CATERPILLARS!
Like MH but with a Fairy Tale theme. Now they're all humans.. pretty humans but humans. It's a bit boring.
But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll burst out more amazing and creative characters later on. ^^

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
Totally!

Most of the outfits are so super Loli-Inspired.. I actually like that. I so-- hope to be able to snatch some pretty dresses for Rochelle and Catrine. *v*
This is why I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dresses will be MH-like quality. :heart:

I really hope the EAH outfits fit well on the MH ones and good quality as well. I have a baaaad feeling I'll end up buying a good amount of the EAH girls for their lolita-inspired dresses. [Gothic/Sweet] Lolita dresses are a weakness of mine. xD:
Hehe, I think Blondie Locks will be my favorite, appearance-wise. Her and Cerise(? - Little Red Riding Hood's daughter).
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 02, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
Totally!

Most of the outfits are so super Loli-Inspired.. I actually like that. I so-- hope to be able to snatch some pretty dresses for Rochelle and Catrine. *v*
This is why I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dresses will be MH-like quality. :heart:

I wish people would stop bringing up a Maleficent doll. Maleficent is a Disney character, their interpretation of the faerie that cursed Sleeping Beauty, and all nicely trademarked. If the line does a doll based on the same faerie, it will not be Maleficent or Maleficent based. Mattel would get into serious legal trouble, and why would they risk that? They already produce the Disney dolls as it is, they aren't about to risk one of their biggest contracts! They would do their own interpretation, as they properly should.

This. :like: And Maleficent is in OUAT because it's an ABC (Disney affiliated) production, so... yeah. Nobody can just make their own Maleficent willy-nilly because she belongs to Disney. Evil fairy fulfilling the same role in the Sleeping Beauty story, sure! But anything based specifically on the green-skinned woman with a two-peaked headdress, who can turn into a dragon? Nopers.

Well I think all she meant was the Fairy in Sleeping Beauty- not the specific Maleficent character-  but again- I don't think that it would work because Raven seems to be the focus of the story- it wouldn't really work with two similar type characters.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 02, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
Totally!

I wish people would stop bringing up a Maleficent doll. Maleficent is a Disney character, their interpretation of the faerie that cursed Sleeping Beauty, and all nicely trademarked. If the line does a doll based on the same faerie, it will not be Maleficent or Maleficent based. Mattel would get into serious legal trouble, and why would they risk that? They already produce the Disney dolls as it is, they aren't about to risk one of their biggest contracts! They would do their own interpretation, as they properly should.

This. :like: And Maleficent is in OUAT because it's an ABC (Disney affiliated) production, so... yeah. Nobody can just make their own Maleficent willy-nilly because she belongs to Disney. Evil fairy fulfilling the same role in the Sleeping Beauty story, sure! But anything based specifically on the green-skinned woman with a two-peaked headdress, who can turn into a dragon? Nopers.

Well I think all she meant was the Fairy in Sleeping Beauty- not the specific Maleficent character-  but again- I don't think that it would work because Raven seems to be the focus of the story- it wouldn't really work with two similar type characters.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. I think there's only room for one Evil Queen in EAH-town for now ;) But there have been several people in the thread mention wanting a daughter of Maleficent specifically, and I think it's probably a good thing if we all remember that the Disney incarnations of fairytale characters (Maleficent and others) are just not available for Mattel to work with. :)
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 02, 2013, 05:54:35 PM »
My head canon for the narrators is that they are Robert and Rosalind Lutece from Bioshock Infinite. http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Rosalind_Lutece

For anyone else familiar with the game, COME ON, there is quite a resemblance personality wise.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #530 on: June 02, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »

http://bratzboulevard.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/bratzillaz-fall-2013-prototypes.jpg
Lower right-hand corner, ladybug and/or spider chick (she has four arms)

Wow I didn't knew that O-o the green one wit the fluffy stuff is the Jinafire ripoff? is hard to see in that pic wit a lot of pixels  :blink:

The others are in the background and hard to make out. One is a "skeleton witch from India" and one is a "Chinese Dragon witch" named 'Victoria Antique'.

Thank you for the info sounds interesting  ;)

I don't like bratz too mush but hopefully the ladybug one could be easy to find, since at this time it seems Wydowna will be SDCC only and no regular release that means many people are not going to be able to get one :cry: unless they do the same wit Scarah

honilee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #531 on: June 02, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
It looks like Kitty Chessire has a hat that has ears on it instead of actual cat ears.  I think it would have made more sense if she was a humaid cat like part cat part human.  Instead, she's basically a person in a cat costume.

I'm okay with it since it's consistent with other characters (though I really would've liked her to have more cat-like features). The Frog Prince (can't recall his name off-hand) changes back and forth completely, so I hope we at least see Kitty do the same in the webisodes.

I just thought of something last night while I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep. How awesome would it be if they did a caterpillar character doll?!

You know what I really want to see? I'd love to see a male white rabbit. I don't even care if he only has an ears-hat; I'd love a male rabbit character.

Offline SunnieBunny

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/sunniebunny/MLP%204%20TRADE/
« Reply #532 on: June 02, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
It looks like Kitty Chessire has a hat that has ears on it instead of actual cat ears.  I think it would have made more sense if she was a humaid cat like part cat part human.  Instead, she's basically a person in a cat costume.

I'm okay with it since it's consistent with other characters (though I really would've liked her to have more cat-like features). The Frog Prince (can't recall his name off-hand) changes back and forth completely, so I hope we at least see Kitty do the same in the webisodes.

You know what I really want to see? I'd love to see a male white rabbit. I don't even care if he only has an ears-hat; I'd love a male rabbit character.

OMG I love that Idea of a Male White Rabbit Character!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Monster High OC of Myself Sunnie Bunny with My Custom TMNT

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 02, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »

:heart:

Honestly, that is my biggest disappointment with the line right now (I think I've said it before tho..) - When I first heard fairy tales I was thinking Unicorns, Dragons, Fairies, CATERPILLARS!
Like MH but with a Fairy Tale theme. Now they're all humans.. pretty humans but humans. It's a bit boring.
But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll burst out more amazing and creative characters later on. ^^

I really hope they will consider making different face molds like for MH.
Using the same base over and over again wouldn't allow for characters who aren't humans :/
I want a unicorn, dammit!

I still think we will sooner or later find out why Kitty is humanoid (my personal headcanon is that she can switch into cat form). Personally, I don't mind that she isn't a werecat. MH made me hate werecats. And I say that as the owner of a Catrine :lol:

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 02, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
Totally!

She(being me) did mean the evil fairy in the Grimm's tale of Sleeping Beauty, but it gets kind of long winded just referring to her as "The Evil Fairy from Sleeping Beauty" so I just refer to her as 'Maleficent'.

Anywho, now that that is settled, I fail to see how there can not be more than one "Evil" character. Raven isn't evil in the slightest, so you can hardly argue that she is the evil character of the series. Every series needs one, heck, even Hamtaru has a bad character and that is a freaking cartoon about talking Hamsters. Besides, the Queen of Hearts is represented in EAH, so why not the Evil...oh, heck...Maleficent?

I mean, for crying out loud, The Huntsman from Snow White gets represented and who the heck ever cared about that guy? He was in the story for all of, what, five seconds? In fact, he was so minor that I do not even remember him from the Grimm/original version of the tale. And don't get me started on how small a role the Queen of Hearts played in the book...

My point is, why can't you have more than one villain represented? Where is the rule that states this? Because I have seen plenty of movies/shows/books that have more than one villain and it does not get cluttered or have an overwhelming feeling to it. If you can give me a good reason beyond the whole, "But we already have Raven!" line then I would happily reconsider my opinion, but as it is the argument against other villains represented is extremely weak especially when other villains (some from the same damn story) are represented.

*gets off soapbox*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
I don't believe Galactica or I said there couldn't be a(nother) villain. Of course there is no rule against multiple villains. The headmaster Grimm is the actual villain right now, I'd say.

But the evil queen/mother/stepmother/fairy/enchantress/woman trope is very common in a lot of fairytales, and they're often not fleshed out or differentiated at all beyond "that evil lady". My view is that while EAH is fledgling, there isn't really room for two characters representing that same trope. Sure, once things go on a bit that would be neat; but right now, I think the series needs its main characters to be quite distinct (aside from the crew of Prince Charmings which is meant to be played for giggles). Introduce another Girl Destined to be Evil right off the bat and you pretty well have to get into a storyline that competes with Raven's, whether or not Other Evil Girl wants to be evil or not.

I absolutely agree that it could be an awesome development for later on to introduce another Destined to be the Villain girl (maybe Lizzie Hearts will indeed have this kind of role), but not just yet, thus why I said I think there's only room for one Evil Queen in EAH-town for now. TL;DR we're only three episodes in, I don't think there's currently plot-room in the Apple/Raven thing for one.

Just my opinion on it, doesn't at all mean others can't disagree, or that it won't happen in the show :)

And I wasn't trying to single you out, Midnight_Dream, there have been at least three people mention wanting a Maleficent's daughter character. All those of us who've mentioned the Disney-specificness of Maleficent are trying to say (if I can speak for the others) is that cool as it could be, it's not something to get our hopes up for because there just can't be one specifically referencing her, copyright-wise. :)

edit: fixed my incoherence!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:37:58 PM by Zombelina »
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

elonni

« Reply #536 on: June 03, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »
It would indeed be really cool if later, when more characters notice that Raven doesn't really want to be evil, that another character would appear and attempt to take over the role. Or that there could even be a competition between more characters for the role of "the evil one" once they realize the spot is vacant. That would give room for more villains to be introduced.

cleverLC

« Reply #537 on: June 03, 2013, 04:52:14 AM »
Or like someone else said on here, have the ability to turn into a cat. Since the cheshire cat could disappear and what not.

That's already my thought--that she's just in human form because she likes to be.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 03, 2013, 05:36:15 AM »
I mean, for crying out loud, The Huntsman from Snow White gets represented and who the heck ever cared about that guy? He was in the story for all of, what, five seconds?

That I wonder as well. Maybe - and please don't take this the wrong way, my dear American friends - because this franchise's first target audience is always the US and the US doesn't know many classic fairy tales that have a male lead who isn't a prince. And they wanted a "manry mayon" presence in the franchise so they picked the Huntsman because "harr he's a tough ranger type with a heart of gold!" ;)

I was already rolling my eyes at "Snow White and the Huntsman", that movie with Kristen Stewart. I was wondering why the heck the Huntsman would need such a big role - oh, wait. He needed this big role because otherwise the movie would have been about two women only and who the heck wants to see a movie about two women, amirite? There's got to be a het romance and a tough male hero who saves the day and shows the ladies how it's done! ;)

Slightly off-topic: I also liked big chunks of that movie. Mostly the fantastic art direction, set/costume design and the soundtrack. If people want to see a well done "dark" version of Snow White, though: watch "Snow White, a tale of terror". It has Sigourney Weaver as the "evil" queen and damn, she plays the role so well.

DGRequiem

« Reply #539 on: June 03, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »
The huntsman is a recurring character in fairytales, just like the "evil stepmother" "wicked witch" and "the tailor," who is a nameless male hero, while "Jack" is a common male hero (common as in not a prince).

The huntsman is in snow white, but he also pops up in LRRH.  Can't remember off the top of my head if he shows up in any of the other announced characters' respective stories.  Most of the other ones he shows up in that I can think of are less known.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal