collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MY pony collection is the best!  (Read 3193 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
MY pony collection is the best!
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
Okay guys, the title was meant in good humor, please let's not turn it into anything negative. I'm feeling pretty down today so thought I'd try to make a happier thread to lighten things up.

Anyway, it makes me really happy to see the pride other people take in their collections. We all love our ponies, and out collections all differ SO vastly from one another! So tell me, what makes YOUR collection the absolute best? What makes it special or unique? Do you have an army that makes you smile? Or a complete set that took you years to build? Or just that one special childhood pony you built your collection around?

Share stories or share pictures or share whatever you like! Just tell me why your collection sparkles :)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: MY pony collection is the best!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »
Hmmm my collection sparkles to me currently because it's very small. I know that's odd to say! I have the last five months or so sold off the majority of my ponies. The ones I have left are my childhood ones or ones I've worked on cleaning up and re hairing. Oddly enough I like them more now. It's a sort of less is more thing. I'm not smothered having so many.

Right now my little prides are of course my childhood ponies and then maybe my Getman rainbows. It's taking me a while, but I'll eventually have all the German rainbows and symbol variations. Then of course my small AJ herd makes me smile. I downsized my old army a lot! :biggrin:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »
Well... I have hundreds of ponies and a few very valuable ones, but that's nothing all that unique... but I do have a Fluttershy army!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »
I love my herd a lot and im very proud of it. I have a large g4 collection, but its their condition, not quantity, that makes it the best.  All my ponies all have super soft and really shiny manes. I just love to brush out my pony hair just to watch the shine bounce off in the light so much! I wish my own hair was that soft! :D I love seeing their cute little rainbow smiles too :3

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
There are all sorts of collectors out there. One day, when I don't need the comfort of ponies as much, I may downsize, but I can see the beauty in each one I come across, and find something to love about them all. Ponies have held a special placein my life for as long as I can remember, and with each pony that passes through my hands, each pony I restore, each pony that comes into my collection, I have a sense of fullfillment <3

I take pride in my collection. It's not as large as some, but it's also not small. It's just right for me.

But most of all, part of my love for pony collecting comes down to sharing that love with others. If I have some ponies that I feel will bring someone else more joy, or if I get an extra of a rare, maybe raopk'ing someone a grail. I know in my heart, whether or not I  end up forgotten down the line, I'll look back, and I'll know that the love of those little plastic horses brought out the best in me <3

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »
My pony collection may not be a highly desirable one. I don't have any nirvanas. I don't have any super rare or popular ponies like Mimic. In fact, the most valuable pony I have is a humble Munchy. I have lots and lots of fakies because I love them and also extremely common ponies. Many of them would be glanced over by the mainstream collector without a second thought. My collection as a whole is special because it is special to me, but there are two in particular that I have that I would not trade for the world.

There is a Bubbles and a Baby Moondancer in my collection that are not in great shape, but get to live on my "favorites" shelf anyway. They once belonged to a young girl named Angela who passed away from cancer years and years ago, in the early '90s I believe. Her mother kept them because they were precious to her, but was forced to get rid of them when she moved into a small apartment. I stumbled upon them looking for some nice G1s as a Christmas present to my 9-year-old cousin, and when I bought them I promised her sister that the ponies would be well-loved and admired forever and for always. She was so happy to know that they would be played with again! But I decided to keep Bubbles and Moondancer, because it was almost like they called to me, even in the pictures. I will never ever bait them, and they get to live on my shelf of honor because they deserve it. Angela deserves it.

They are special because cancer is a horrible jerk, especially childhood cancer, and Angela should be on the Arena with us today.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:24:46 PM by Rachel-Eyes »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »
While I love my Hasbro collection and my small (but growing!) Raincurl army, my custom collection is really the best :) Each one is a unique work of art made by some of my favorite people in Ponyland! And my swap customs? They were made especially for ME and I cherish each and every one :heart:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »
My pony collection may not be a highly desirable one. I don't have any nirvanas. I don't have any super rare or popular ponies like Mimic. In fact, the most valuable pony I have is a humble Munchy. I have lots and lots of fakies because I love them and also extremely common ponies. Many of them would be glanced over by the mainstream collector without a second thought. My collection as a whole is special because it is special to me, but there are two in particular that I have that I would not trade for the world.

There is a Bubbles and a Baby Moondancer in my collection that are not in great shape, but get to live on my "favorites" shelf anyway. They once belonged to a young girl named Angela who passed away from cancer years and years ago, in the early '90s I believe. Her mother kept them because they were precious to her, but was forced to get rid of them when she moved into a small apartment. I stumbled upon them looking for some nice G1s as a Christmas present to my 9-year-old cousin, and when I bought them I promised her sister that the ponies would be well-loved and admired forever and for always. She was so happy to know that they would be played with again! But I decided to keep Bubbles and Moondancer, because it was almost like they called to me, even in the pictures. I will never ever bait them, and they get to live on my shelf of honor because they deserve it. Angela deserves it.

They are special because cancer is a horrible jerk, especially childhood cancer, and Angela should be on the Arena with us today.

Aw, that is so sweet!  I feel badly about Angela but at least her ponies have a special place of honor.  :)

One thing that I really love about my collection is that, despite the fact that I got into collecting relatively late (2006,) probably half of my g1s and most of my g3s are from the thrift store.   I love thrift store finds best, I think, because it is a bit like a treasure hunt and I get truly excited when I find a pony I want there.  I've made some really good scores thrifting, too, including:

Nightglider
Taffeta
And Munchy

And I've found dozens of others and they're all very beloved.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:01:41 PM »
Another thing I love about my herd is each one is a special memory. I honselty remember how I obtained each one. Its etched in both my brain and in my heart! :p I have really grown onto each one of them, they are part of the family! Each pony is very imoprtant to me, no pony is better than anypony else in my herd. I love them equally!  I put a lot of love and care into all of them. Some of them I have recieved in bad condition, but I give up my time to make them look their best!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:05:08 PM by Lightning Twirl »

angela22

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »
Here's to Angela!  :hug: I am really glad that you have them there and I hope that soon we can find a cure for that horrendous enemy that is the "C" word.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 11:21:16 PM »

AWWW! T_T Stupid cancer!! I bet Angela would be so happy to know her ponies are in amazing care. I would consider things from a lost loved one invaluable. There are ponies out there where only a few of them exist, none of them could ever be as special as imortant in a collection than a pony  from someone you care about, especially if they unfortunetly arnt with us anymore. You have a lot to be proud about!!!! :D

Post Merge: May 19, 2013, 11:23:39 PM

Here's to Angela!  :hug: I am really glad that you have them there and I hope that soon we can find a cure for that horrendous enemy that is the "C" word.

For both people and pony cancer! :p
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:23:39 PM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »
I loved that story Rachel! That is beautiful - and horrible that that little girl had to suffer and deal with childhood cancer... But the fact that you shared that and still have them displayed is just awesome. I bet she's smiling knowing that her precious ponies are still loved!

...Oh also, MY pony collection is the best because it's massive. The overwhelming size drops jaws and stops people in their tracks. BOO-YAH. :lol:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 01:09:28 AM »
My pony collection is best because of it's shock-value! No-one expects to find ponies in my house! But I generally tell people anyway, I mean I'm not ashamed of them, people just don't correlate my personality and style with hundreds of colourful plastic ponies!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about Angela, but at least her ponies are in good hands and even became the joy of another little girl.  :)

My present collection could be called my second one. I started serious collecting in 2004 and went on an indetermined hiatus a few years later. I've sold the bulk of the first collection since. Starting in 2012 I slowly got back into the scene, and my so-called second collection has started out as a small one of about 50 ponies plus a bunch of Dream Beauties. I guess many expected it to be larger, but it's not.

I've never had much luck with thrift store finds and have bought most of my ponies individually, which is hardly advantageous as regards per pony price, but my goal has never been to catch 'em all. The best thing with this approach is that every last pony on my shelf is one I've really, really wanted. They're standing there for a reason, which makes them special. 

I have a small variant army of Lemon Drops, devoid of the more interesting and expensive ponies. They belong to the select few ponies that remain of my first collection. A 99% complete 1st edition Show Stable (missing ribbon) is my pride and joy, even though it's a really common playset. Mine has survived many ups and downs like being up for auction. In retrospect, I'm really really happy that no one bid.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »
Angela's story is so incredibly sad, but it's wonderful that her memory lives on through the love of her ponies.

Why do I think my ponies are the best? Hmm trickay. They're not the best. But I am very proud of them. I have a small but rapidly growing nirvana section, (which is my pride and joy and is now the center piece of my collection), I have a lot of HTF UK ponies that I adore, and I have my childhood Bubbles who recently got a new tail since she has been tailless since 1997! XD (Well probably even earlier, since I got her second hand and tailless back then!) And her tail was a special blend of two beautiful blues I had lying around and loved. She's super special to me now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal