collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A few questions about protection from scammers  (Read 678 times)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
A few questions about protection from scammers
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:54:21 PM »
If a random person with no feedback to speak of wanted to buy, say, over $100 worth of items from me (on here or places other than ebay),what could said person do thru paypal to get their money back as well as keep my items (AKA scam me)? And what can I do to prevent it? How much riskier is sending valuable items international vs. domestic?

Also, scams aside, I assume it is wise to buy insurance thru USPS when shipping very expensive items, right? Is there any reason they wouldn't refund me if they were to lose/damage a package I sent?

I haven't had paypal all that long and I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. I have also never sent anything very valuable so I haven't had to really worry about this before. So I appreciate any help. =)

Thank you for reading!
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions about protection from scammers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:10 AM »
I'm sure others will have better an wiser advice, but I only ship insured and with signature confirmation. I also only ship international (unless to a friend) with a registered package. From what I understand at my post office even a registered package isn't fully covered?  I dunno some people throw a fuss, so I don't sell to them. Have to cover yourself. -_-
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:14 AM »
Well.... Don't expect to be scammed, but at the same time, take precautions for yourself. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, right?
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 03:37:07 AM »
If your buyer pays through Paypal then Paypal requires you to provide tracking information for that package.  Items shipped Internationally are NO EXCEPTION.  The only way to provide tracking information on an International item is to send it (and this is the least expensive!) by Global Express Mail which is a min. of $17, and do not even ask what Fedex and UPS charge?  Paypal has no remorse that this is totally illogical for items that do not even sell for that amount. If a buyer claims that the package was not received, then all they have to do is file a Dispute through Paypal.  If you do not have a tracking number to provide Paypal, then POOF, the buyers' money is returned to them.

So the only thing I can recommend is to require all International packages be sent Global Express Mail (which provides a tracking number). It may deter some of your buyers but most will understand and pay the high price.  There is still no fail proof, economical way of sending your International packages without grossly overpaying shipping to make sure your covered, unfortunately  :huh:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
Always ship with tracking. I wouldn't ship without tracking until you get the hang of selling. Obviously, you should always ship with tracking, but once you've had a few transactions you will have a better idea on which buyers are on the level.

The general rule is that as long as you have tracking and have insurance you will never ever be out of any money. 

Does anyone know if USPS refunds the price you paid for shipping if you file an insurance claim?

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
So the only thing I can recommend is to require all International packages be sent Global Express Mail (which provides a tracking number). It may deter some of your buyers but most will understand and pay the high price.  There is still no fail proof, economical way of sending your International packages without grossly overpaying shipping to make sure your covered, unfortunately  :huh:

Yep!  Pretty much this.  :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline PinkRosedust

• Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
Thank you for the replies!

madhatter - Registered mail looks like a good option for something pretty valuable...I'll keep that in mind.

Aitsuki - lol, I definitely don't expect that I'll get scammed. In fact this is the first time in 2+ years of selling where I've really been worried about it. And I feel especially save here on the Arena but still, you never know.

ponylady - I have sent many packages without tracking...do you mean if I buy the postage through there, tracking is required? So far I've had no issues. I guess one of my biggest worries is that I will have a tracking number, but the buyer will still claim they didn't get their stuff. Would it still be my responsibility to refund the buyer? Or is a tracking number proof enough that I did my part and sent the items? I suppose I will avoid shipping valuable packages overseas unless the buyer is willing to pay the big money it takes to protect everyone.

RockinPrettyBeats - I have been at this for a couple years now, but I only just got paypal at the end of 2012...and I'm still a bit wary, having read so many stories about them screwing honest sellers over (though most of those stories do involve ebay it seems). I also haven't sold any big lots or valuable items - and now I have a few people with no feedback wanting to buy a lot from me, so I'm suddenly concerned, lol.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
Tracking is a must and just be aware of charge backs. Using insurance for expensive items will help with a charge back and so will good records and tracking information.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 06:17:17 PM »
I have been made to understand that Tracking does NOT equal proof of delivery. You need delivery confirmation which consists of a signature. If they have to sign to pick it up, then you have proof they got it.

Now, I have no idea if a tracking number alone is sufficient for paypal. I have seen incidents in the past where someone says "The tracking number shows it is delivered." But the other person says "Well, I didn't get it." and Paypal will just refund that money to the second person, but NOT take it away from the sender because the sender had tracking.

Everything is so much easier to do inside the USA, but selling outside the USA really opens up a bigger customer base.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
Most of the time you'll have problem free sales, and hopefully you wont come across a scammer but it doesnt hurt to be prepared in advance and protect yourself from potential issues :bigups:
Definitely ship with tracking and also delivery confirmation (signature)  with newbie buyers, high value items and items going internationally. Insurance for high valued items is a good idea too! be careful about undervaluing items on customs forms as well.
If I think of anything else I'll update my reply, but you've got some good advice already :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline PinkRosedust

• Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »
tulagirl - That's good to hear. Thanks!

Maniah - Good point. I will definitely go with signature confirmation over tracking. I guess I can only hope paypal will play fair if I have something big go wrong.

Ringlets - Agreed! I have had very few problems in my Arena dealings (and the fewer dealings I've had elsewhere). But I do want to be ready for...whatever may happen. And yes, I hadn't even thought about the customs forms! Thanks for bringing that up.

Thanks again everyone!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal