collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why Nirvanas?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Stormrave

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Why Nirvanas?
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:30:06 PM »
So until now I've stayed away from this forum and your plastic crack :D  but since this summer is my first trip to the My Little Pony fair all of a sudden I'm surprised to find myself thinking seriously about getting a nirvana pony.

I have a whole bunch of North American G1's and, to date, six UK exclusives.  The "crown jewel" of my collection is Baby Berrytown with her funky gradient hair.  And yet all of a sudden part of me thinks it might be cool to have a pony that most people in North America don't even know exists.  Something like a pony from Argentina, or Peru.  Something you could never buy at a store in north america.

So I want to hear stories about why you collect Nirvanas?  Is it that you think they're prettier, you have all the North American G1s already, you want something unusual or more challenging to find? 

(And do you have any advice for a newbie?) :)

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why Nirvanas?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:48:06 PM »
currently, i collect only the ponies i remember having as a child (which i've completed) and moonstones. moonstone is a very important pony to me, she was my first and the only surviving member of my childhood herd. i wanted to "honour" her importance to me - and collecting every version of her i can find somehow made sense to me. it gives me a definitive purpose to my collecting.

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »
I find items from other countries fascinating, and the fact that ponies were made in other countries is just an added plus :D  Also, I collect mainly Italians because that is my heritage so I have a soft spot for them :) 

As far as newbie advice, in my experience buying nirvanas, Italy ponies and Mexican ponies are typically the least expensive.  There are some very pricey variants, but many go for only $10 or less. 
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »
I was on a site called ghost of the doll and I saw some of the UK ponies and play sets that is what got me hooked. Then I leaned about the many gen 1 from around the world and have a list running.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »
if you mean strictly non-HK or China made, my first Nirvana was what started it; I won a lot with a "TAF Buttons" in it, but instead of TAF Buttons, it was actually Argie Buttons!  Then I got some Italians in a lot, including Windy and Blue Belle(of course) and it just kind of grew from there.  Now I have 30 non-HK Blue Belles, plus a few other Nirvanas(not counting my weird ones!)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pumpkin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Enjoy the little things in life.
    • View Profile
    • Het Kamertje eBay
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:00:11 AM »
At first I've collected the HK, China and UK ponies. I really hated the Italians so skipped them. When I had the groups together (So Softs, Rainbows etc.) I started to select the ones I really liked and started to sell the others. After selling them I got more space for more special ponies and started to go for Frenchies. While collecting them my interest went also to the AB Italians and  some variants of Minty and Moonstone. I'm interested in nirvanas now because they are more special and it's great to have some variants of 1 pony in an army together. I like the Frenchies because of the hair quality and metalic symbols, they look more refind. Mexi's are so cute with their poor conditions and beautiful eyes. Etc.

Visite Het Kamertje!

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:11:37 AM »
Main piece of advice is collect what you love not just based on value or rarity as that can change (sometimes incredibly quickly)

scour the pages of the nirvana gallery for variants that you will love staring at for hours = there is plenty of eye candy to get lost in ;-) and then set a limit on what your wallet can lose... otherwise

you said it = plastic crack

take it slow

oh and worse case, is if you tire of your nirvana, chances are there will be others here who will love to "adopt" so you can usually find a way to balance out the habit, I mean hobby, by selling and then buying... usually... hopefully!

Why did I start?  An excuse to teach my kids geography and I just think it is so amazing that kids from all over the world were playing with ponies :-)

now that is my idea of nirvana :-)

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:47:50 AM »
I get (or try to get :hmm:) nirvanas that I like the look of, either from the nirvana gallery or from people posting here.

But my budget is limited so I mainly stick to the cheaper nirvanas so far.  :blush:

The first nirvana I bought was Macau Jenny. Bought her from Ebay on a whim without really knowing anything about her. Then I got some Italians and joined the arena to learn more about them.

Then I realised that two of my childhood ponies are Indian!  :lol:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 05:42:30 AM »
I love italians. It's their eyes. So elegant. Such poor factory control though, so I look for minty ones if possible. I'll hold out for as long as it takes to get perfect ones.

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
I have Italian Peachy (which I bought last month) and didn't know Italians were Nirvanas but now I do so I've accidentally joined the club lol. Most Nirvanas are way out of my price range but Italians seem to be a lot cheaper and the Macau's I've seen on ebay are cheaper than things like frenchies and argies.
I like the look of some of the argies I've seen so I'm looking forward to getting at least one at some point. It's interesting to see them from different countries and in different poses and colour schemes.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
I get (or try to get :hmm:) nirvanas that I like the look of, either from the nirvana gallery or from people posting here.

But my budget is limited so I mainly stick to the cheaper nirvanas so far.  :blush:

The first nirvana I bought was Macau Jenny. Bought her from Ebay on a whim without really knowing anything about her. Then I got some Italians and joined the arena to learn more about them.

Then I realised that two of my childhood ponies are Indian!  :lol:

really? how did you end up with two indian ponies in your herd? :D

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Chinabun

• Trade Count: (0)
Why Nirvanas?
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
currently, i collect only the ponies i remember having as a child (which i've completed) and moonstones. moonstone is a very important pony to me, she was my first and the only surviving member of my childhood herd. i wanted to "honour" her importance to me - and collecting every version of her i can find somehow made sense to me. it gives me a definitive purpose to my collecting.

I love this answer and find my self weeping over all the ponies lost too me (i had tons of the G1 as a child). I might try to "get back" my faves from then too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 01:26:21 AM »
PKW, I grew up in Asia! I also have two indian ponywear outfits. :) I keep trying to find out more about them but information seems scarce.

I lived in Thailand for a bit, but sadly I do not own a Thai mountain boy.   :huh:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:21 AM »
For me it's about the quest for information and the thrill of the hunt :) When I first started collecting, there was a lot to learn just about the normal US issue ponies, and many of them weren't sold here and it wasn't as easy to buy from abroad, so I got it from that. But as time went on, I wanted something a bit different. Plus, there are some gorgeous Nirvanas out there that are different from the norm.

Now, I love the differences between the different countries, and it's so fascinating to see how different countries interpreted  the same line. The value of them isn't a factor  for me - some of my favourite ones are not that expensive at all - but it  does limit my purchasing ability sometimes, which is probably a good thing, lol ;)

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline baby_gusty

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »
Good question! A very fun thread, keep posting, I really enjoy reading all your answers :D

I live in Sweden and my first ponies was NSS Cupcake and NSS magic Star. I really remember that christmas and the joy I felt when I got my ponies. Later when I started collecting I realised that my Cupcake only were sold in Scandinavia (and one more country which I can´t remeber now, Australia? Austria?) and her original pony where a fluffy SS. I´d never seen one of those before but it got me thinking.

I love all the differences there is between the countries, some can come as a uni in one country and a regular in another. So fascinating! So when I started collecting the very first pony I got was Gusty, always loved her in the movies but I never had her irl. When I saw that there where ponies from different countries and I even discovered baby gusty I was hooked. I had to have them in all variations :D

Thank you specialk070581 for puffyavatar
My Wantlist               Looking for Spain Baby Gusty and Baby Gustys Puffysticker

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal