collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How did your armies get started?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
How did your armies get started?
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:17:25 PM »
For a few years now I have had various friends that have been so generous and thoughtful to shop here in town for my pony collection. What is funny is that I have always been somewhat bummed out that I couldn't define a real army for myself.  Then my husband and I discovered this evening I do in fact have an army and didn't realize it LOL.  Its a small one, but its all rainbow goodness.  I have always loved the rainbow ponies and still need a few and when I find one I always bring it home. I really don't seem to be picky about their condition as long as I can see their symbols and they have nice hair and tails.  I have more than this actually, but this was all I was able to get in the photo.  I think I have a rare Nirvana Rainbow pony in the bunch none of you have ever seen before...wink

So tell me how your armies got started?  Mine was a total accident.  It was friends and casual shopping not really making a connection that I loved this group so much.  Moonstone and Pinwheel and Flutterbye have to be my favorites.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
Re: How did your armies get started?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
For me, I love boy ponies. I would keep them over anything else in my collection. I generally hang onto any that come in lots and such. I also enjoy having different variations of them, no matter how subtle. :)
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline bbassel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
What a great idea for a topic :) I don't have an official army yet but definately have doubles I can't part with and different country/pose versions of a pony. I have been contemplating which pony I love the most for a future army. I am curious to hear about how others got started because I love armies and am drooling over the recent army swap :)

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
Mine started with Princess Serena- I already had one of her but I was buying ponies from someone and they had her for like $2 in the bait pile. I knew I could fix her issues so I bought her intending it to just be a rescue and re-home but once she was with me I just could not part with her!

Next was Baby Princess Sparkle- my first grail. I looked for her in my price range (admittedly not much) for months then one week I spot one in an auction for cheap- I placed a low bid of $10 and didn't expect to win her but thought why not? the next day someone on the arena contacts me saying they have one with a hair cut that needs TLC and they are willing to sell her for $15! -so not expecting to win the auction with my low ball bid I buy the hair cut one. That same week my BF snags one in a BIN lot for $30 shipped with about 10 other G1's, and then I won the low ball auction... So at the end of the week I went from no Baby Princess Sparkle to three! Once they all arrived I could not part with a single one!

Things like that just kept happening, or I would find ones I already had at yard sales, and really soon after I just decided to make a Princess army :) I still mostly just pick them up from peoples bait bins but They are all happily restored and I love waking up to see there whole shelf sparkling~

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
IS THAT A JAPANESE CHIN?!?! AAAAWWww *squeeee!*

Anyways, right, the armies...
I love boy ponies.. I love them a LOT.
I have yet to make an official army with a buncha doubles though :p

Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline PrincessLocket

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:40:17 AM »
My Locket army started when I was trying to find a perfectky mint one each time I upgraded I held on to the others then before I knew it my army was well on the way :-)

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 01:34:05 AM »
heh, my Blue Belle army came about because I kept finding white/part white ones in bait lots or being sold as bait...  I think I actually had 5 or 6 of them before I got the regular CF and FF Blue Belles!  I started buying faded looking Blue Belles when I saw them for cheap, just in case they'd be an error one, and eventually I just started buying anything Blue Belle I could. 

I realized my collection focus had changed completely when I traded off a MO pony for another error, even though I already *had* several!  I just got to a point where the nicest, most expensive ponies just weren't as valuable to me as a bunch of Blue Belles, either white/part white, regular, Nirvana, or custom. :) (I'll be adding pics to that army thread, soon; I have a pony on it's way that looks like it *might* be a MIP, part white one, so I'm waiting for it to arrive!)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:55:25 AM »
I never really got armies. I mean i had two different versions of Flutterbye and three different versions of magic star, but they were all different. And i never understood why people would want customs of ponies in different poses/breeds/babies etc. I mean i always thought armies looked impressive but never saw the appeal. When there are so many ponies out there i never understood wanting dozens of just one lol.

Then, when friendship is magic started I realised that i liked one of the background ponies a lot. To the point that i was looking out for her in every episode more than i was the mane 6 lol. But there was one big problem, there were no toys of her. So i commissioned people for customs of her, and then a plush of her, and then she did come out officially so i bought her then.....and then it just became a slipper slope lol. I'm really looking forward to seeing her new version pop up on Taobao so i can really expand my army lol. Although i'm not doing too bad at the moment considering how expensive her official version currently is lol :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 03:44:11 AM »
Any of the G4 ones were done by accident, as far for G3 and G1 ones, I only have TAF Scoops. That is because she is my most favorite pony as a child. :)

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 04:09:48 AM »
My Peachy army started because I got a bait lots with a couple of Peachies in. I kind of wanted an army and stopped and started with a few different ponies, but none of them really fitted. And then I looked at the Peachies and thought I'd give them some new, different coloured hair. And then I looked at Peachy variants and I started buying a few Nirvanas, starting with the Italian because they're so cheap.

Then I got a couple of Snuzzles. So now I have a Peachy/Snuzzle (Puzzle!) army. Mostly I keep buying Peachies if they are damaged or they look unloved, or if I'm buying a pony from someone and they have a Peachy as well. I just think they look so sad and unloved I have to get more. Haha.

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »
I seem to be getting a Baity Big Brother army :blink: Whenever I find a baity boy at a good price range, I buy it because I never know when I will get a nice idea for them but I never seem to use them so they are stocking up^^;

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 04:24:15 AM »
It isn't much of an army, but I am getting quite a few G4 Raritys.  Part of the reason is that she is my favorite character in the show, so I keep an eye out for her myself.  Also though, friends and family know she is my favorite, so they will buy her for me for occasions like my birthday and Christmas.  It helps that G4s are the most readily available, as I'm pretty sure I would have at least one G1 army by now if they were still sold in stores!

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 04:34:28 AM »
I realized my collection focus had changed completely when I traded off a MO pony for another error, even though I already *had* several!  I just got to a point where the nicest, most expensive ponies just weren't as valuable to me as a bunch of Blue Belles, either white/part white, regular, Nirvana, or custom. :) (I'll be adding pics to that army thread, soon; I have a pony on it's way that looks like it *might* be a MIP, part white one, so I'm waiting for it to arrive!)

Oh!! I hope it is MiP, I remember you saying a while ago your hoping to get one. :)
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 04:36:35 AM »
Minty was my only childhood pony, so naturally I want everything about her  :P

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 04:40:06 AM »
I decided to start a Baby Cotton Candy army for a few reasons 1) I wanted to have an army 2) she's freaking adorable and 3) she's fairly common.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal