collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why I know I will NEVER get tired of Monster High  (Read 936 times)

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Why I know I will NEVER get tired of Monster High
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:39 AM »
From the moment I saw Frankie and her concept of being the daughter of one of my all time favorite "monsters" I was in love, then I fell in love one by one with all of her monster friends, especially Duece, with the awesome concept that snake hair could be a mohawk!!!

Then the brand exploded and more and more monsters came, and I loved every single one of them. There isn't a monster yet where i've said "meh" or wasn't interested for whatever reason, I love ALL these monsters for all tehir quirks and their differences. I lve the articulation and body mold, heck I even love the "exaggerated make-up and faces.

I don't see myself EVER tiring of the line, in fact I'll be sad to see a day if it ever slows down or ends, and we're forced back into an all pink all perfect barbie world!

So, why will you ALWAYS love monster high?

P.S. No offense to those of you who are "burnt out" I was just looking for some positivity

Rockwella

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why I know I will NEVER get tired of Monster High
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
I feel the same as you! It even started with Frankie for me as well since I am a Frankenstein fan. Each new doll that I see is coming soon I get so excited like a little kid haha I can't ever say I have gotten burnt out as this is something that makes me super happy. I love the thrill of the hunt. The only thing is getting all the money set aside before we get bombarded with the new releases! If I don't get them when I see them it's too often that I never see them again.

Melissa

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
Unlike a lot of people here at the Arena, Barbies were my first love... not My Little Pony. I had a grand total of 2 MLPs as a kid (Happy Hugs and NBBE Tiddley-Winks), and I wasn't really allowed to have more than that because I had so many Barbies. So, I think a tiny corner of my heart has the Mattel logo tattooed on it. Barbies don't interest me too much anymore, but the first time I saw Oneleo1's MH dolls in person, I was hooked. I love all of the little details. Their clothes, shoes, adorable faces... I'm rerooting my first doll and that opens up endless possibilities to me if I ever get bored with their hair (the one thing that seemed unchangeable to me as a kid).

I went through a phase in high school where I thought I was a "punk," and one thing that I've retained from that is that I love mixing cute and creepy (ex: I had tons of jewelry with pink or glittery skulls). Monster High is the epitome of that! Monsters with a fashion sense... totally up my alley!

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
Like Melissa, my first toy love was Barbie. I played with Barbie like 95% of the time when I was little, so MLP fell into the 5% time played with.  I'm no longer interested in Barbie now because the brand seems to have lost its way.  My first love now is MLP, but MH is a close second.  I love that both MLP (mostly vintage) and MH can have so many different variations of pony/doll in color and style.  Its like you could never get bored with all the different combinations.  So I really don't think I will lose interest in MH dolls, and I'm actually excited for the new dolls coming out soon.

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
i had MLP as a kid but people always bought me Barbies, they are the old stand by for little girls lol. when i first saw MH i was like  :shocked: why they no have these when i was a kid! i was really into horror movies and nightmare before christmas was my fav as a kid, MH would have been totatlly up my ally. so i kept seeing them, with each new monster i saw i really wanted one but did the "im too old for dolls" thing even though i've got like 8 MIB barbies at home lol. then came the arena and my MLP obssesion got worse, but oh wait, people my age into these awesome dolls?? my resolve weakened.... 2 months later i bought my first doll and down the rabbit hole i went lol. there is just so much about these dolls that i love! even my dad things the articulation is awesome! i took both my daughters down with me hehe. i just cant see myself not liking them. i will be very sad if they stop making them.

you should have seen me at 20 in a toy store seeing MLP for the first time in stores since i was a kid, it was hilarious, i sqeed so loud everyone was looking at me like i'd just escaped the mental hospital.... if that happend with MH (dissapeared for a long time then reapeared) i cant imagin how rediculous i would look. lol

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
i'm with ya all.. i don't think i will ever tire of them.. they are just to cute and innovative!  ( i may run out of collecting room though..)
i too do wish they would have had MH when i was a kid, but in some ways i am glad i  have the opportunity to collect them as an adult!
    I saw these dolls when they first came out and i just thought wow what a cool idea for a doll line.  they are just so colorful,   fun and edgy. not tomention i really like there message for girls , about being unique and being your self.  I am glad to see  a doll line speaking  about these issues,  and other things like bullying  , and girl power.  LOL
 The only thing that would make me happier is if MH was a unisex toy line.

SO anyway , i love MH and  i hope MH is here to stay!  i donno where it will be in the years to come,  but  in some ways  i hope frankie is  like the NEW barbie LOL ( no offense barbie fans.. i like her too )

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »
What a great idea for a thread! I have several reasons why I love my monsters (and probably a few more that aren't coming to mind at the moment):

1. Lagoona. She's the doll that first made me interested in Monster High, my first actual doll purchase, and my favorite.

2. Dem boys!! I cannot get enough of the boys. They're so cool. I've been hunting 1600 Clawd, Holt, and the vampire CAM guy and I'm lucky enough to have one or more versions of everyone else including CAMs. I seriously cannot wait for Heath to come out. I'm so excited! I'm also holding out hope for an InvisiBilly release someday.

3. Reroots. This is a more recent interest but I seriously love my rerooted dolls. They're so gorgeous and unique! I can't wait to get a few more.

4. Lastly, I love it when a doll wins me over. When I first started collecting, I didn't think I liked any versions of Clawdeen, Frankie, or Cleo. I now own one of each because I was so smitten by certain releases that finally made me want one. Well played, ladies...
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
...one thing that I've retained from that is that I love mixing cute and creepy (ex: I had tons of jewelry with pink or glittery skulls). Monster High is the epitome of that! Monsters with a fashion sense... totally up my alley!

Same here! I love creepy-cute and spooky-sweet and pastel goth so MH fashion sense is so suited to me too.

I've also always loved fantasy creatures since I was little--just not the gross/gory kind of monsters, so the way the ghouls are done is absolutely perfect in my eyes. Growing up I was kind of a split fan between MLP/other animal toys vs fashion dolls (never baby/toddler dolls, I despised them, lol!) I didn't care for Barbie because she was usually a modern girl :lol: I didn't like everyday, I wanted fantastical or historical or just OTHER in some way! Which is why I loved my colorful rainbow-haired ponies and my Disney dolls from their fairytale worlds so much XD And my toys always needed to have particular characters/personalities. So, I would have been so in love with MH... but I'm actually kind of glad it wasn't around when I was a kid because I can enjoy it waaaay better as an adult :D

So yeah, I've been collecting dolls and ponies since childhood, and always looking for new additions to the horde. And from the moment I laid eyes on sig Draculaura in 2011, I just knew MH was IT. Cute, spooky, fantastical, clever, pretty, imaginative. They're what I love rolled up into a doll line and since what I love hasn't changed much since I was a kid, just refined, I don't think it ever will, and I don't think I'll fall out of love with MH either :) :heart:

#loveletterstomonsterhigh  :blush:

Now, if one of the rumored spinoff lines Mattel has started promoting (those keyhole websites) turns out to be a fairytale take on MH? The ghouls are gonna have to make room to include those, for sure! :lookround:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »
Great topic! I have been thinking about this a lot recently. Mostly because this is the first time that I have actually been collecting something consistently. My pony collecting was and is kind of on and off.

I am a bit surprised that I have amassed such a large collection so quickly and that has made me think about whether I will be interested in MH for a long time to come still. Now I feel  that I will. Like people have said, the designs are very detailed, cool and unique and I love all the different styles, colour combos and identities of all the characters and dolls.

Lala was my first doll but signature Operetta was the one that got me interested in MH. Lala is still one fo my top favorites. I love pink and black combos, I used to be an egl goth and her style, though not true lolita, is fantastic.

I love the fact that I now have a collecting hobby, because I have long wanted one, but somehow pony collecting has never been it for me. MH seems to be, well, for the lack of a better word, it. I am not as sure as some people here that I will always like MH but I know I will never sell any of my ghouls. So even if I don't keep collecting in the future, I will love the ones I have.

JustHereForPictures

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »
It's partly because they're the closest I'm going to get to full articulation for the time being that doesn't cost megabucks.

And because their faces can convey a lot of emotion. I've always found Barbie to be creepy happy (seriously, all the dolls are smiling, it's unnerving) and the BJD's I've seen, although they're gorgeous, all seem creepy serene (plus they cost over 10x what a single MH doll does).

MH Dolls, depending on how you position them, can look cheeky, happy, sad, relaxed, pretty much whatever.

So, in general, it's the versatility and the value for money.

Plus, if you get bored, you can snip off their hair, acetone off the face and repaint them into a whole new doll.

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
I love MH!

Actually, if they would make Abbey into the mature Nefera size and Draculaura into the same size as Howleen, I'd be smitten all over again!  :biggrin:

The clothing is amazing and unlike a lot of other doll clothing line, it's something I wear everyday! ( lots of skulls, hearts, bolts, lightning bolts, chains, lots of ear peircings and such )

I was never really a Barbie girl. I never wanted to be a veterinarian or a flight attendant or have luxurious condos and countless convertibles lol. I like MH because they introduced a fresh body style unlike the tried and true fashion doll stance.
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 10:52:05 PM »
1 word... UNIQUE...

Lol I like that they aren't all uniform... Barbies are NOT my favorite doll... In fact, barbies IRL measurements scare me... Lol.. She just looked funny to me... And I've kinda always been into monsters... So it's a win-win 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:24:27 AM by mejohnson85 »

liberalSpaceship

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
I can't say I will neverever get tired of Monster High (I tend to take breaks in hobbies, is all), but what keeps me going from release to release is the entire aesthetic.

I don't know who they have working on designs, but I really feel like Monster High has love poured into every fabric choice and style--to see the influences of each ghoul's style/signature look on each release is awesome.

Then you get the molding details, from face shapes to tinee tiny claws/rivets/ears/whathaveyou and their fabulous, amazing, envy-inspiring shoes. I've purchased more than one release just to own those shoes. :heart:

Basically Monster High is the cult film/subculture/pseudo creepy answer to fashion dolls without losing what fashion dolls are essentially about and I love it. Every box opening is a collection of "omg look at this!" for my roommate and I, while showing off various little details you might miss from the box.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:35:52 AM by liberalSpaceship »

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
i didn't have dolls as a kid....I had ponies....and was HUGE into Scooby Doo.....so my monster love has been with me for a really long time.
As soon as I saw the concept for the MH line, I was in love.....Frankie and Ghoulia started me out, and I don't know that I could bring myself to part with many of my girls

Not only do I love the monster-fashion doll concept....I love all the details in their clothes and OMG THE SHOES! :heart:

But I think what I LOVE the most about MH (and why I encouraged my step-daughter to get into them as well) is the message associated
"Be Unique, Be Yourself"
it's the best message, for ANYONE! particularly little girls. It's OKAY to be yourself. It's OKAY to be different than everyone else, and you should embrace your differences. It really promotes healthy self esteem.....which I think so, so many people (not just kids, everyone!) lacks these days. (I know my self esteem sucks)

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 06:06:59 AM »
I think Jupi hit the nail on the head here. The one thing I will not tire of, even if I end up not collecting the dolls permanently is the message. I agree with Jupi 100 %. It is a very good message and really important to girls especially with all the appearance and erht expectations nowadays.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal