collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: LSAT anyone? Law School Students/Graduates!  (Read 1174 times)

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
LSAT anyone? Law School Students/Graduates!
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »
Hello there you smart and cool pony people!

I was just wondering if anyone has taken the LSAT before!

If you have, AWESOME. Share your insights or how you studied if you want to, brag/cry/share about scores. 

Did you end up going to Law School?  How was it?! 
If you want to PM me about which school you went to and what you're doing now so that it's private, please do so and I can contact via email too!

I'm taking the LSAT in June so I've been studying on my own for a while using previous LSAT preptests to help me with Logic Games....and I have to say that the Grouping Games had me angry after I had finally gotten the hang of the more basic/advanced linear games..... :cry:

I'm just working my way through!

Any positive advice is welcome....! :green:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT anyone? Law School Students/Graduates!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
I took the LSAT and did pretty well! (Got a scholarship even).  Law school was super fun and challenging the first two years- but by the last year I was really burned out.  I was stressed out the entire first year because I had to keep up a certain GPA or I would lose my scholarship- and my lame state college hadn't prepared me very well for the level of writing and studying required in law school.  Luckily the mid-term grades at my school counted for only like 10% of my grade- so mediocre grades plus the threat of losing my scholarship spun me into a frenzy of studying and getting extra help.  I took all of those extra prep/cram classes, plus a legal writing class- and they REALLY helped.  My grades shot right up, thank goodness.

However- although I found the cram classes in law school incredibly helpful-  I honestly don't know how much studying you can do for the LSAT since it basically tests your reasoning/problem solving type skills.  I bought one of those books from the bookstore with sample LSAT tests and took as many as I could in my free time.  I recall there was one section that I consistently had a hard time finishing in the allotted time-  when the real test came I almost had a panic attack worrying about not finishing.  But it turned out to be easier than the practice tests.

I think taking practice tests was a good way of becoming familiar with what you will be looking at- but don't know if it would improve your score much.  When I got to law school I learned that most students take a prep course- but I think that is out of fear more than anything else.  I don't recall anyone telling me that the prep course helped them out much more than taking practice tests on their own would have done.   

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
I admire those with the desire and talent for legal... even the simplest legal stuff makes my eyes cross and head spin.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline court2882

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
I took the LSAT. It was a while ago now. I took a prep course and it helped me with strategies that I wouldn't have come up with on my own had I just done the tests. I understand that there are certain books out there that kind of go through the strategies though. It is important to think about how to answer the questions because it is a certain type of thinking that they are testing as opposed to knowledge. Games were my best section, the reading comprehension. The other category made me want to tear my hair out.

I went to law school. I loved it. It was the best time of my life. I'm sure what law school is like in the States, but it was great here. There was a lot of work involved though, more than University.  I am a lawyer now and I love it. Best decision I ever made. It is a lot of work though. It is a completely different time commitment than a lot of other jobs, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

I think your best bet is to look at the books with the strategies for the areas that you struggle in. It really helped me.

Good Luck!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »
I thought about it but decided on a graduate school that did not require the GRE instead  :biggrin: I dont think being a lawyer would of fit my personality anyways, especially if I had to go to trial.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:46:08 PM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:43:17 AM »
Best of luck on your test!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline TrixieStix

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
Thanks so much for responding everyone!

Galactica Oh yay, that's great you were able to get a scholarship, you smart cookie you! That would be amazing :heart: but they can be stressful to keep. I could use some fun and challenging work and your experience sounds really wonderful.  I'm such a study nut and I took the writing focused classes in the History department of my major to challenge myself toward the end of my BA....but I'm still worried that might not be enough!  I must say it is good to know they have the cram/legal writing classes for extra help in case I find myself stressing out too much. 

I can get stressed out.....been studying so much lately I'm a bit worn out, but I can't stop because I want it so badly!  :blush:
I have only been studying the LSAC material... starting with the older preptests to get used to the format and strategies and then I'll focus on the newer material and do timed tests.  :nerdy:
I'll try not to have a panic attack, but I'm also really worried about finishing in the time constraints.  :(

Kiwi That's how linguistics is for me, it's intriguing but I just nope..can't do it very well!  :lol:

court2882 I think a prep class would be nice, but like Galactica said I feel that mostly out of fear! I'm so excited and scared of this thing. I'm realizing the same thing reading the strategies in the books...I probably would just sit and stare at the page if it wasn't for them. I wouldn't know how to map things out as neatly.  I'm not sure of strengths or weaknesses just yet other than I'm not failing anything and getting more than half right so far.... :blush:

It's absolutely wonderful hearing about such lovely law school experiences, tough but fun! I'm so glad that it worked out for you. I'll wanna go study in Canada, heee :happy:  I'd be happy just about anywhere, but again wait and see :ninja:

I'll reread the how to attack these questions again to make sure they really sunk in.

tikibirds At least you avoided a long long exam!  :enthralled:

kaoskat Thanks so much!

My cousin tells me about her law school experience when she can....and it definitely sounds like a lot of work.  :satisfied:

Hopefully I can get more studying in now, but thanks for providing insight and cheering me on everypony! It is all extremely valuable  :lovey:

Enjoy my wall of text!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »
I've never taken the LSAT, only the GRE.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline TrixieStix

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:52:43 PM »
I've never taken the LSAT, only the GRE.

Still these tests are tough!!

I have like no free time....but that's ok I want this so bad ;( haha.

Bumpity to see if there's anyone else!~ :bump:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal