collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else burnt?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else burnt?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 08:42:25 AM »
I haven't been collecting MH for a full year yet (though, I had been toying with the idea of buying them since the beginning) so I'm not really burned out on them yet. I think it may also help that I'm limiting myself to only one doll of each character. I do the same for MLP (one pony per character) so that helps. I do loose interest in ponies occasionally, but it's usually when Hasbro's just releasing the main six over and over. I still love the ones I have.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
One word: no.

It's very hard to relate to something like that, since my main concern is not finding the dolls, but getting them for a fair price :lol:
If I had a lot of money my collection would be twice as big.
I'm always secretly hoping to find one doll I really want for cheap(er than the regular prices here). That means I'm sort of always waiting for something and that keeps me on edge.

Then there's the fact that Germany doesn't get all exclusives or packs. Without a place like the Arena I'd be lost.
Ebay is just way too expensive when it comes to shipping costs and most often I don't really trust the sellers to send me a doll that hasn't some form of eye wonk or other flaws ^^#
So that's another element that keeps me excited.
For example, MeJ got Catrine for me as well as some fashion packs and I'm practically dancing here just knowing I can soon hold Catrine in my hands and dress my second Frankie, while most of you already bought her and the fashions weeks ago.

I think it's common.  Happens to me with any sort of collecting and it's a good way for me to tell what my interests really are.  Whatever survives the slump has staying power.  I have adored ponies in and out of the slump for ages.  Monster High will survive it too I think.

:like:

:like:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:26:37 PM by Zapper »

angelfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!  It's nice to know I am not the only one who suffers burnout.  I've had it before but not to this extent.  Usually the promise of new releases excites me and I get itchy to go stalking the toy aisles but not lately.  I haven't been to TRU in about month and when I went to Target with my sister a few days ago I barely looked at the MH section.  I was more interested in finding the Brazilla rereleased Midnight Beach girls with saran hair.  Even the upcoming pics of the new 13 Wishes Howleen left me feeling 'meh'.  And she is my fav character. And the new spinoff news doesn't interest me at all although that could change if the dolls are well-designed.  But...fairies and such?  I know the line is meant for children but I feel like there's enough fairy tale themes with the Barbie and Disney Princess lines.  I hope at least the spin-off lines are darker like the first year or so of MH was.  A line of aliens might be nice though.  I would love to see Mattel tackle that.  Right now I don't even have the patience to list more dolls in my sales thread and I'm really struggling with the urge to throw most of them in a bag and donate them.  For the first time I'm getting tired of looking at them.  I think what a may do is pack most of them and see if I miss them and then plan accordingly. 

Zapper, that's awesome for you and I understand.  When I was at the height of my blythe collecting one of the things that made them so special was that they were really hard to get so that meant each one was a real treat when you were able to purchase one.  I refined my blythe collection and love the 10 I have.   

theamazingfetus

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
I feel like my enthusiasm for collecting MH has waned since I only want one of each girl, and theres less and less of them there for me to look at. I'm still missing a few of them, but I kind of want to hold off for awhile, y'know? Because I don't want to regret getting one doll just to find out I liked a later version of her later.

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 03:37:41 PM »
I had a slump last year but came out of it more in love with the dolls than ever - BUT also more willing to sell the ones I didn't absolutely love.

angelfish

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 04:09:17 PM »
Kalavista, I'm hoping that's the case.  I will pack those I am unsure of and see if I miss them and then go from there.  I really do need to sell my Siggy Ula and my SO Lagoona, they do nothing for me.... And some cams I do nothing with.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 04:51:12 PM »
No, but my collection is really, really small! If I had more space/money there'd be tons of dolls I'd want to buy xD

Shahaila

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 06:23:03 AM »
I am another one enjoying the slump.  It has given me time to truly enjoy the dolls I have and really evaluate dolls I was on the fence about (Skelita and GR Clawdeen) without being distracted by all the new pretties.  When they have that overwhelming number of new dolls I find myself tending towards some impulse buys and passing on dolls I am on the fence about which in the end I usually tend to become long time favorites once I get them.  So I welcome the lull, instead of pankicking on missing out on something.

Like others I am enjoying gathering and playing with outfits, posing, and I am starting to paint shoes and accessories to customize some of my favorites.  I am also letting my creative juices flow to create some custom dolls out of CAMs for 3 little girls who LOVE MH for X-mas.  I am having a lot of fun with this while at the same time admiring and really enjoying the dolls I have.  When so much is out there I am focusing on what I don't have and just do not appreciate the ones I have as much.

I also agree that the lull is helping me evaluate which of the upcoming releases I really want, and which ones I only want the clothes from.  A month ago I wanted almost all of them, now I am down to just wanting the 2 Ghoulias (Ghoulia is at the heart of my collection), 2 Rochelles. maybe Catty Noir, Abbey and Lagoona but want to see them in person first.  I have determined that from the others I just want their clothes LOL.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 06:44:25 AM »
i get really into it, and then i fall out of love for a while, but then i come right back once a few months pass. i know last time i regretted selling all my dolls away, and i'm tempted to sell them all now too, but i know i'll regret it later on, so i'm just leaving them in the closet for the time being.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
yeah, they bring them out far too quickly! it feels like every month they have a new doll. why can't it be like, every third or forth month?

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 08:33:41 AM »
Right now I don't even have the patience to list more dolls in my sales thread and I'm really struggling with the urge to throw most of them in a bag and donate them.  For the first time I'm getting tired of looking at them.  I think what a may do is pack most of them and see if I miss them and then plan accordingly.     

personally i would hold onto them for a bit,  you really might regret letting them  go.

but  if you are going to donate anyway why not just offer them up for free here on arena?  or do bulk free surprise doll lots,  if you don't want to deal with shipping out a whole bunch..  let collectors pay the shipping on a blind lot of dolls.  At least then you would know they are going to good loving homes!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »
yeah, they bring them out far too quickly! it feels like every month they have a new doll. why can't it be like, every third or forth month?

They get them out all at once as it seems. There's a pile of new dolls, then nothing, then another pile of new dolls, then nothing. Why can't the releases be more consistent and fewer dolls instead? It would be great for my wallet *g*
This way I wouldn't have to spend too much money at once and would still get a nice dolly every once in a while.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »
i wish it was like that as well. I still remember back in 2011 holiday season when they released about 15 to 20 different dolls (CAMs included) in November and December alone. D:
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
This! Slow down, Mattel!

angelfish

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
Thanks mystic-imp, I have already packed those I am unsure of to see if I miss them.  I will sell a handfull now and go from there.  If I choose to get rid of more I would prefer to donate in a way that actual children get them and not collectors.  I hope no one takes offense to that.  Many of the dolls aren't worth much opened so why not make sure they fall into children's hands?  The only doll I have that's worth a lot is SDCC Ghoulia and I already came to a desicion about her.  I decided if her price goes towardsthe 500US mark I'd sell her on ebay and use the money towards either a new electric guitar or a Kenner Blythe.  If her price bottoms out and she becomes much less valuable I'll open her and enjoy her as she's still one of my favs.  Thanks for the responses and suggestions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal