collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you De-card MOC ponies?

Yes, I want them to be free, be free my beauties!
26 (21.5%)
No. No way, it devalues them waaay too much/ I'm a MOC collector!
41 (33.9%)
Well, it depends on the value of the pony really...
37 (30.6%)
Hmm I don't really have an opinion on this?!
3 (2.5%)
..... All I can think about is food....
14 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: ***The incredible unmentionable.....Do you De-Card the MOC pony?***  (Read 3496 times)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: ***The incredible unmentionable.....Do you De-Card the MOC pony?***
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
I voted no no no, and thats how I feel on the matter. As many said, if the pony is in danger of being ruined by being left on the card, then by all means. That being said, I don't collect MOC ponies. I would like to own one or two someday, but to me, a moc mib pony is so precious, there's only so many of them left out there. I actually feel a lot of anxiety thinking about someone opening one, not because I want it particularly for myself, but because it feels like paying for some food with diamonds. Yes, you need the food, just like one may want a pony, but there's a point where it becomes a waste.

Offline Amsel

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://yuuago.livejournal.com
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
I think... for the cost that it would take to get a MOC to de-card, I could probably get a pony off-card that looks mint or near-mint. So, I don't think I would go to the trouble. : )

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »
I'd probably try to trade it for one already open ^^; Especially if I could find someone who had recently decarded theirs and regrets it. I don't use the combs or care about original ribbons really, I'd just want one with nice hair~

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2013, 07:09:49 PM »
Like others have said, it would depend on the condition of the card/box. I have one MOC G1, Raincurl. I got her because I wanted one MOC, so I would not decard her :) She's in great shape though. If I found another in bad condition than I would definitely free her.

Edit:
I have always kind of disliked the argument that we should preserve ponies for one another - yes I am a part of am awesome collecting community but the ponies I own are not community property, I dont collect them or store them for the sake of others - sorry guys :P

Also this! ^ Very much so!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:16:48 PM by BlackCurtains »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline mlpkatie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
...All I can think about is food...

:P

Actually, I wouldn't open any MOC pony. I like my ponies loose, the only time I would ever by a MOC is if I come by one that is reaaaaaally cheap, or is my favorite pony. Like others have said, it'll depend on the condition of it.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »
I don't see myself wanting a MOC unless it was very pristine (non-yellowed) and I already had a minty version of that pony.  I really hate the way the yellowed plastic looks so I'm not likely to spend a lot of money trying to get one.  If one were to fall into my lap, I would probably sell it.  But, I could also be tempted to open it depending on multiple circumstances like the pony is in trouble. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
G1 never ever. G2 never ever because I don't care about them, so I would sell them. I collect certain G3 MOC so I wouldn't open those either, besides they keep in better shape in the box. G4 I don't buy MOC, and because they are so plentiful, of course I would open them.

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 03:26:30 AM »
I've done both - I have a number of G! MOC/MIB that I will never open because I love them how they are, but there have been occassions when I have opened G1 MOC/MIB and I don't regret it one bit. All are still in my collection after a number of years. Two were Greek MOCs at a time when - surprisingly - MOCs cost less than loose Greeks due to the supply. They are gorgeous and I love them. One had actually been damaged by her card. Then there was a baby Fancy Pants who was partially opened already (missing one of the accessories). And the final occassion was one on a card/bubble that was phenomenally yellowed. We thought the pony inside was okay, but in reality she was in quite a state - a proper two tone pony! The side closest to the card was perfect, the side by the bubble horrific. I still have her though; she's kinda cool, lol.

So for me it really depends. Seeing them on cards or in boxes brings back memories for me, but there are instances where I will open as well.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:28 AM »
I've done both - I have a number of G! MOC/MIB that I will never open because I love them how they are, but there have been occassions when I have opened G1 MOC/MIB and I don't regret it one bit. All are still in my collection after a number of years. Two were Greek MOCs at a time when - surprisingly - MOCs cost less than loose Greeks due to the supply. They are gorgeous and I love them. One had actually been damaged by her card. Then there was a baby Fancy Pants who was partially opened already (missing one of the accessories). And the final occassion was one on a card/bubble that was phenomenally yellowed. We thought the pony inside was okay, but in reality she was in quite a state - a proper two tone pony! The side closest to the card was perfect, the side by the bubble horrific. I still have her though; she's kinda cool, lol.

So for me it really depends. Seeing them on cards or in boxes brings back memories for me, but there are instances where I will open as well.

I think this is the perfect way of summing up how I feel! I have to say that I think it is your right to do what you with your items :) and if I have paid for them I shall do what I feel is right in the individual situation :)

Thanks for your input everyone! :) it's been a really really interesting debate!

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:59 AM »
I wouldn't open a MOC unless her card was very messed up/she was in danger of getting damaged somehow in the packaging >_<

Besides the fact I love the look of MOC ponies, I would feel guilty decarding when I know there is probably some collector on here who would prefer it MOC.. I feel like even if it would take a long time, I'd rather sell the MOC and try to buy the pony/accessories loose and mint as possible n__n''

Of course, that's talking about G1 and G2s...
G3s and G4s are so abundant MOC I don't think it matters much- but I don't actively collect either of them so I don't worry about it! :9

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »
Hell no!! Open a G1?!!!! NEVER!!!! I could never do that. Besides if you want a loose one, just buy a loose one, save your self about 70% and leave the mocs for those of us who want to preserve them! Why open a MOC ponythat is 25+ years old, when you can just get a loose one? :crazy:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2013, 07:32:46 AM »
I voted that all I could think about is food. Does anyone have a spare cheesesteak? lol

Honestly though, I don'r de-card ponies. It has nothing to do with the value though. For me, that is the ultimate complete pony. It has EVERYTHING that the pony came with, and therefore should not be altered. Although, I am more flexible about G4's on this than other generations. Mostly because I can still get another one to stay in the package. Any other generation would have to have a card (or box) that is in seriously bad shape for me to open it.

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »
I can't help but feel a lot of 'you shouldn't do this blah blah blah' being directed at myself. I've been honest with my opinion. I have thought a lot about what others within the community think on the subject. After much consideration I have decided that if a MIB/MOC comes my way I will attempt to trade it before setting it free to join my herd. And if I can trade it for a loose NM version then the pony will go off to sit on someones shelf. However if no one takes the trade then I will set the pony free amongst my herd as that pony would be part of my collection to do with as I wish. As hathorcat said I have no obligation to anyone else in the collecting community, my collection is MY collection, and what I do with it is my personal choice (not quite in them words but pretty much the same thing).

Thanks Icecrystalline for making such an interesting thread. It's been interesting to read everyone's opinions and see how different people put their opinions across. And although most people disagree with me it's been nice to see that there are a few who do get where I'm coming from :)
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 08:20:44 AM »
I can't help but feel a lot of 'you shouldn't do this blah blah blah' being directed at myself. I've been honest with my opinion. I have thought a lot about what others within the community think on the subject. After much consideration I have decided that if a MIB/MOC comes my way I will attempt to trade it before setting it free to join my herd. And if I can trade it for a loose NM version then the pony will go off to sit on someones shelf. However if no one takes the trade then I will set the pony free amongst my herd as that pony would be part of my collection to do with as I wish. As hathorcat said I have no obligation to anyone else in the collecting community, my collection is MY collection, and what I do with it is my personal choice (not quite in them words but pretty much the same thing).

Thanks Icecrystalline for making such an interesting thread. It's been interesting to read everyone's opinions and see how different people put their opinions across. And although most people disagree with me it's been nice to see that there are a few who do get where I'm coming from :)

Mine was not directed at you or anyone in particular actually, it was just a generalisation of my opinion. Of course anyone can do what they like with their ponies. I believe my view is the practical one. A MOC Cotton candy will cost you £70 odd quid, a loose one will cost £3. To me, thats a no brainer.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »

Mine was not directed at you or anyone in particular actually, it was just a generalisation of my opinion. Of course anyone can do what they like with their ponies. I believe my view is the practical one. A MOC Cotton candy will cost you £70 odd quid, a loose one will cost £3. To me, thats a no brainer.

Yes I see your reasoning, in my opinion, if someone is prepared to pay that for a MOC pony they want to decard, then that's their choice, yes they're taking the pony out of the community, but surely they are taking a pony out of the community anyway by buying it, whether it is MOC or not? Maybe because they cannot find a mint enough loose pony and then tracking down the accessories takes a very long time (I speak from experience!) XD I completely understand your logic, I just feel that if I have the hard earned money, and I want a super mint pony (that's not guranteed from MOC anyway! XD) and all the accessories easily, then I'll get a MOC pony. I have no intention to do this though!

And there was actually no reason for creating this poll, other than interest in people's opinions. I'm not decarding any ponies so don't worry pony peeps! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal