collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you De-card MOC ponies?

Yes, I want them to be free, be free my beauties!
26 (21.5%)
No. No way, it devalues them waaay too much/ I'm a MOC collector!
41 (33.9%)
Well, it depends on the value of the pony really...
37 (30.6%)
Hmm I don't really have an opinion on this?!
3 (2.5%)
..... All I can think about is food....
14 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: ***The incredible unmentionable.....Do you De-Card the MOC pony?***  (Read 3451 times)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: ***The incredible unmentionable.....Do you De-Card the MOC pony?***
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I do not see opening a MOC as a waste, I see leaving a pony gathering dust in a packet as a waste. I'm not going to be selling my ponies so if I get a MOC I'm not going to worry about loss of value. If other collectors cherish MOC ponies then that's up to them. But I'm not going to feel bad for opening something I've paid for with my hard earned money.

As I've said I collect loose ponies as it's cheaper but if a MOC comes my way and I can afford it I will open it. And I'm not going to feel bad about it because it's my pony. I would keep the back card as I like the art on the back cards and if it was MIB I'd keep the box for the artwork but the pony would stand free with her/his fellow pony friends on my chest of drawers or my bedside table. I see MIB/MOC ponies often on ebay and never bid because of the price so you don't have to worry about me de-boxing anything anytime soon.

As for those ponies on card or in box that have obvious flaws what really is the point in leaving a poor pony MOC with an obvious symbol/blush rub that you could touch up and have her looking perfect again.

For me it is a waste of my time buying something that I can't hold in my hand.

I do understand that some people probably dislike my way but it's my pony collection so it's my choice. I missed out on a MOC TE Fizzy last year, I have a loose one on the way from Quebec right now so you can all breathe a sigh of relief. But if I'd had the money to buy that MOC one (which wasn't that expensive really) then she'd be sitting on my bedside table right now with her back card safely stored in my chest of drawers.

Each collector to his/her own. I collect for myself, not others. The only question that comes into my head when buying my ponies is 'can my bank balance cope with it?'
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
Interesting question!

Though I've not had a MOC G1 since my original stint of collecting in the eighties, I'd try really hard to resist the temptation.  I mean, I still remember having a thick pile of backcards to flip through - that was really cool, wonder where they ever wound up? - and I always love being able to actually groom the ponies... and see/smell the stickers... and so on... but I'm cognizant enough of the value such increasingly rare items have that I'd really think twice/thrice/often.  I'd probably be rid of them for a minty loose pony of the same rather than live with the constant temptation.  (Anyone remember MIB Stinky Pete in Toy Story 2?  I sort of think that way about my toys... silly, I know, but I can't help it! :blush:

That being said, I have two G4 packs still all pristine - the CMC flower fillies, and a BB-size Applejack in a carded package - and a couple MO G3s in their bags (Sun Sparkle and a couple Love Wishes), and I even have some McPonies in their bags... and it's a sort of battle with myself to keep them all in package. :huh:  Guess we'll see!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »
I was going to keep my G3 collection in their boxes because I had decarded all my original G1s and wished at least one had been left MOC. It was 1984. Who knew...

When I bought my first G3 I noticed the packaging was damaging the pony's legs so I had to get her out. Hasbro later changed the packaging, but by then I was hooked on a free range herd.

This is a complex issue and there are no definite yes/no answers.
If you buy a MOC pony, then yes it is yours to do with as you please. But do you have a resonsibility to future collectors?
MOC G1 ponies are a finite resource. They won't last forever.

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »
I would never de-card or de-box a "previous gen" pony. If i want a loose pony i'll just wait untill i can find one.
I don't see the point of spending (a lot of) money on a moc pony only for me to open it. In most cases MOC ponies are more expensive so i would just see it as a waste of money. I also love the artwork on the boxes so i would feel bad ruining that. Not to mention that i rather not make something rare even more rare.

Offline ravengusty

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
I will probably be considered selfish and run out of ponyland but I plan on collecting until I'm wrinklier than a 100 yr old elephant so my ponies are going nowhere. Except onto shelves when I run out of space. To be fair I do understand that there are collectors out there who specifically go for MOC/MIB ponies and I'm glad they get enjoyment out of collecting that way. I imagine the only way I'll ever get a MOC is if my darling boyfriend spys one and buys it for me. So there's no need for anyone to panic just yet. I collect loose ponies but I'm an opener of packed ponies.  :)

The last MIB I opened was a G3 sweetie belle, but my goddaughter took a fancy to her so she's no longer with my herd, I'm a G1 focused collector but I have G3 silver rain and G4 brushables Luna, Celestia, Pinkie Pie and Rarity. They're all open. I think my best conditioned pony is Medley she looks like she hasn't long come out of the box but she was loose when I bought her.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »
If it was a G1 pony, with no damage to the back card/box. It would stay MIB. Simply because of the age. Any other Gen, unless a rare/hard to find pony.  Their getting deboxed.

I prefer my heard free range.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
Its always a hot topic and we are always going to get opinions on either side.

Personally I would never ever purchase just to "free" the pony but I can see both sides of the desire - to preserve and to play. I just think we should not rush to judge or criticise how we each collect. When I purchase MIB/MOC I simply display them as such until I can replace them with loose and then sell on the MOC/MIB.

I have always kind of disliked the argument that we should preserve ponies for one another - yes I am a part of am awesome collecting community but the ponies I own are not community property, I dont collect them or store them for the sake of others - sorry guys :P I paid for them, they are mine to pretty much do as I wish with. When selling them on, I dont expect to break a profit so if they have been devalued in any particular way since my purchase that is my fault alone and I just hope that their next home loves them.

Second, the argument that it is always cheaper to purchase a pony loose is not always true. As an accessory collector, a "completionist" for each pony - trust me there are several ponies where you are not only cheaper but also easier to pick them up MOC/MIB. I have many MIB/MOC ponies in my collection which are only there because I have simply never come across them or some element loose - not to mention many ponies over the years which I had first MOC/MIB before I managed to complete them loose.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ravengusty

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 01:20:33 PM »

I have always kind of disliked the argument that we should preserve ponies for one another - yes I am a part of am awesome collecting community but the ponies I own are not community property, I dont collect them or store them for the sake of others - sorry guys :P I paid for them, they are mine to pretty much do as I wish with. When selling them on, I dont expect to break a profit so if they have been devalued in any particular way since my purchase that is my fault alone and I just hope that their next home loves them.

It is a hot topic and with very different opinions but this one fits me exactly right, I buy ponies for myself not other people, I don't seek out MIB/MOC and I wouldn't start seeking them just to 'free' them but if I do end up owning one I'll open it.  My ponies as Hathorcat says are mine to do with as I wish.

It's personal preference really isn't it.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »
I will probably be considered selfish and run out of ponyland but I plan on collecting until I'm wrinklier than a 100 yr old elephant so my ponies are going nowhere.

Every plans on this, but still I see only a handful of people in the collecting community who were here when I started collecting.  I'm not trying to single you out, maybe you will collect all your life.  I'm just saying that the majority of people do stop collecting at some point, even the ones who swore they would collect forever.  People change and their interests change.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
I could never open a MOC G1. There are only so many of them left.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »
I'm the single person who picked "don't have an opinion" :P .
 I picked it because I'm kind of split on the idea. I'm definitely not the type to keep stuff in packages. I never buy MOC/MIB older gens  because of this (and due to their price). If I somehow came across one though I would keep it in the package unless, as some have said, it could damage it or it was too ugly.
 G4's on the other hand always get de-packaged. My only exceptions so far have been a few I decided to buy an extra of in case they got super popular (Zecora and Lyra brushables, favorites set, and wave 1 BB Fluttershys which were HTF at first. Also have a Royal Cattle Friends set that I was holding in reserve for customs). I'm not sure if I'll sell or trade them in the near future (plan was to trade all of them for SDCC The Filter Is There For A Reason :drama: Pony :huh: ) or hang on to them for 15 years when they'll be worth more.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »
I'm with hathorcat on this one!

Personally I would never ever purchase just to "free" the pony but I can see both sides of the desire - to preserve and to play. I just think we should not rush to judge or criticise how we each collect. When I purchase MIB/MOC I simply display them as such until I can replace them with loose and then sell on the MOC/MIB.

I have always kind of disliked the argument that we should preserve ponies for one another - yes I am a part of am awesome collecting community but the ponies I own are not community property, I dont collect them or store them for the sake of others - sorry guys  I paid for them, they are mine to pretty much do as I wish with. When selling them on, I dont expect to break a profit so if they have been devalued in any particular way since my purchase that is my fault alone and I just hope that their next home loves them.

For the most part, if I got a MOC/MIB, I'd sell it on, or trade it for the pony loose, as I'm mostly not a MOC/MIB collector. My ponies are an interactive hobby, and I like to be able to touch them as I please!

And I am really, really hungry right now... so I clicked the last option. Hey, it's true!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 04:41:44 PM »
i said maybe.. which is why id rather not own a MOC g1 or g2 lol. i would feel really bad, first because i couldn't handle it, i really like fussing with and arranging my ponies, so id be a little sad if it was moc and i couldn't, but second because it IS a rare thing to have such an old toy still in its packaging. Id feel just as bad about opening it and removing that value.

in the end, i think i will just avoid older moc ponies xD just so im not conflicted with temptation haha. i really do prefer them loose, and being a very un-picky collector, i cant see myself paying that much for a moc.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »
I prefer mine free range , that is why I prefer to get loose ones .

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
I'd never de-card a G1 or G2. G3 maybe, G4 definitely. I just make sure to buy them loose, and leave the carded ones for people who prefer them. :)
I'll put something here some time

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal