collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New glitter and resin pony commissions  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: New glitter and resin pony commissions
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »
Since there's a lot of interest in a Big Brother pony, I will be making a mold of one very soon. Due to the cost investment in the mold, I will likely only make the one pose. Ladies, the BB pony is going to be expensive, guesstimate of about $100 US, and the shipping is going to be pricey as well because of the weight (none of these resinponies are hollow, but are actually solid).

Is that a G1 Big Brother or a G4 Shining Armor mold?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »
G1 big brother, we will have a shining armor mold done soon as well. Big Brothers will run $100 plus shipping and Shing Armor mold ponies will run $65 plus shipping.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 05:52:55 AM »
They are amazing!
From the info I have gathered, it seems they are not hollow...right? So how do you get the head onto their plugs?
Can you reuse the molds you make? Or do you gotta make new ones every time?

Offline Tiella

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 06:17:05 AM »
The heads are glued on, we still have not found a way that works to make them turnable. People seem to still be happy with them even though the heads are set. Yes we can re-use the molds, but they only last so long and pulling a complicated object like a pony from a mold puts a lot of wear and tear on it over time. Making the molds is pretty darn expensive and we use a super high quality mold material.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
They're so pretty! :D
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »
I had sent you a commission question, but I never heard back... are you closed for commissions?
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
The heads are glued on, we still have not found a way that works to make them turnable. People seem to still be happy with them even though the heads are set. Yes we can re-use the molds, but they only last so long and pulling a complicated object like a pony from a mold puts a lot of wear and tear on it over time. Making the molds is pretty darn expensive and we use a super high quality mold material.

Yea, few things don't get worn over time, so its not that surprising that you would need to make newer molds after a while...But its nice that they can hold for a few castings.
You pull it out of the mold? That sounds like you arent using 2 part molds...which would explain the awesome seamlessness of your ponies. but that makes me a tad curious... How do you get them out of a one piece mold, specially if you want to use the mold again without obvious seams?

Too bad you havent figured out how to do moveable heads. Would be so awesome! It would be more complicated but awesome! I dont know anything about the process but I can imagen you would need to do it a bit closer to the original...Protect the hole in the head, maybe with a straw with something very soft so you could pull it out...then also a plug in harder plastics...
Oh sorry for the yapping, I just like to theorize about stuff that interest  me.

Offline Tiella

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
No not closed for commissions yet, but I am closing by May 1st till August 1st. You will still see ponies pop up from me during that time however as I am prepping for a convention and will do a few fun things I want to make. I am sorry if I missed your commission inquiry Sarahlacewing, not only have I been swamped with art commissions I have been dealing with exhaustion from being almost 7 months pregnant and some health issues with my youngest special needs little boy. Feel free to PM me again and I will keep an eye out for it and answer.

Flarewing

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
Technically, I can make them with turnable heads, but the method for doing so is unreliable. Also, glitter impregnation works against the structural strength of the resin, meaning that even with doing everything right in shaping the neck plug hole, it's possible the neck plug will snap simply because it's got glitter in it. Tl;dr, possible, but a royal pain in the flank, and not guaranteed to work.

My one piece molds don't have the seams because I use super high quality silicone and am very careful about how I cut it to open. It's intuition based on my understanding of engineering principles and the materials I'm using, and not really something I can easily teach.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal