collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: prototype G4 babies?  (Read 704 times)

Bex

• Trade Count: (0)
prototype G4 babies?
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:16 PM »
these 2 girls are sooo cute!! saw them on ebay, are they prototypes? or accidents?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

keikokukien

Re: prototype G4 babies?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »
Well...the bases are both Apple Blooms, and as a customizer, the first one has the same colors as Trixie's mane and tail. They could be factory mixups or customs rehaired from left overs from Trixie. The second one is odd though...There haven't been any white haired G4s, so either alternate rehair or perhaps a preview of a future hair color?

Binny

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
I'm suspicious of them, personally.

Bex

prototype G4 babies?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »
What are you suspicious of?

They are adorable I think but yeah the white one I was confused about.
So someone in the factory will put different hair in and then sell them as prototypes or factory errors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Binny

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
What are you suspicious of?

They are adorable I think but yeah the white one I was confused about.
So someone in the factory will put different hair in and then sell them as prototypes or factory errors?

About whether they're prototypes or customs.

Offline cacopony

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • um...hello?
    • View Profile
    • my deviant art account:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:22:11 PM »
they aren't prototypes
they were being sold in taobao and the bue haired one went by the name of "baby lemony gem"
it's applebloom's body but with another pony's hair, probable trixie's or lemony gem. as for the white hair, there have been other "error" ponies sold with white hair, maybe they are using thewhite hair used in lyra or trixie
taking drawing comissions, check my DA for reference pics_
http://cacopony.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »
They're neither, they are grey market merchandise.  They are not illegal per se, but they aren't licensed to be sold through a venue by Hasbro and Hasbro does NOT make any money off them, so... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Bex

prototype G4 babies?
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »
Oh ok that's really interesting thanks :)

shadowdreamer

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »
Aw! They are cute! I like the blue and yellow haired one...but they are probably just accident Apple Bloom recolors which makes me sad....but if they are real going to be made ponies, then sign me up I want 5 lol!  Filly ponies are my favorite, I just hope that Peppermint Twist \ Lil Molasses comes out!

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 03:36:50 AM »
I love them.  I bid on the white-haired one, but got outbid.  It went for $42!

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »
the white hair looks like the color Blizard. the matte white colour,    as far as i can tell no FIMs have been made with Blizzard hair colour.  the offical white is more  snow flake / vergin snow ..   

i could be wrong tho,  just calling it like i see it

and the blue looks like its a blend of the 2 metalics blues  ( yes there are 2 shades , see lemmony gem)   

they could be errors,  but then they could also be customs.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »
I like both of them, but I don't understand how Taobao works so I don't bother trying to buy from there. Which is a shame, because I would have loved to have gotten a Holly Blue when she was there.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
They are cute- I saw them on Taobao too.  I am surprised at how much they (and the celestia with blue hair) are going for on ebay considering that there is no way to know what their story is- 

Taobao is weird- it's like a cross between Craigs list and Ebay-   there are people on there selling their own stuff, selling factory errors/variants -  and people that purchased large lots of extra parts from various local manufacturing (heads, bodies for example) and they put them together every which way.   I don't think it is illegal in China, as I knew one person years ago who used to buy those lots from Kenner (they came with all kinds of fun odds and ends from old doll lines). 

I think there are companies who do the same thing, repackage and sell the items as a new product too (so long as it doesn't look too close) which is why we've seen weird franken-knock offs pop up in dollar stores (There was one doll that has Hasbro Jem heads, pieced together clothing- in a knock off body-  and another little junky doll wearing real Strawberry Shortcake berrykin clothes).   

Of course as none of us are in that industry and have no first hand knowledge, I don't think we can do more than speculate one way or the other whether or not the franken toys are illegal or not.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »
Yup Galactica hit it on the head. There is nothing illegal in the actions [at least not in China]. Factories and factory managers regularly sell excess manufacture, error products, mistakes to middle companies who go on to sell it on sites like Taobao and within the local market. Its pretty standard practice and not just on a small scale. At a networking event I once met a guy who bought in shipments of rejected shirts from Chinese factories - originally made for a high street retailer but rejected for one reason or another. He used the fabric swatches which were super cheap but high quality for bespoke homeware products...which ironically he sold in to the original retailers much more upmarket competitor. :P

To be honest, if these items did not have a resale value within China they would end up recycled/trashed - they are reject products which Hasbro would not accept as being supplied to them. Therefore Hasbro are not loosing out in anyway, they would have no use for the items and in fact the factory is simply making back some of its own money by selling rejected stock. *Shrug* - I see no harm as long as we accept them for what they are which is unofficial, unconfirmed, factory line rejects....doesnt stop them being cute and super sought after. Better with a collector than in a Chinese rubbish dump.

And back on topic :P I have seen these girls before - I do believe they are simple mistakes or tests. The white haired one is adorable!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal