collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would like a doll or two... where to start?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Zoundz

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishrats.co.uk
Re: Would like a doll or two... where to start?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 03:34:07 AM »
Thank you Zenna - some food for thought. Will think about it :) not sure that even if I did save up the money I could allow myself to spend it on a doll though - there aer certain people in my life who might disown me! XD

xx
Bongo Fury Rattery - Small hobby rattery in West Cork. Breeding for Russian Silver and related varieties, also working towards Pearl and Cinnamon Pearl.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »
lol yeah, there's always that. My mom is the only person who knows what my dolls REALLY cost, since she's a doll lover herself. I always buy with layaways, so I don't have to drop too much at once and cause financial problems at home. It's one of the only things I ever buy for myself, so the hubby doesn't complain about them.

But yeah, non-collector type people probably will never understand.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
I have to second Zenna's input about layaways.  A handful of BJD companies offer layaway (which is how I purchased most of my dolls).  Denverdoll.com and Mintoncardinc.com are U.S. dealers who both carry an array of BJDs from different companies and BOTH offer layaway!  I would recommend them first before purchasing straight from the company because it can save you so much on shipping.  Good luck!  :happy:

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
Yes! Layaway is awesome! I would never have been able to afford most of my dolls without layaway. Another thing that helps is to wait and save up, browse around and find what doll you want and then wait until the company has an event. Many companies offer discounts, specials, freebies, free shipping, etc several times a year. Just keep a look out.  ^.^

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »
You can also get a second-hand doll for a good price usually.  Amber (my CherishDoll Molly) is the only doll that I've ever purchased new.  With an expensive doll, their owners are usually very careful to keep them in good condition.  So you can find dolls who are in almost new condition for cheaper than it would normally cost.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »
My advice is to save up and get the doll you love! Hujoo dolls are great, they are customizable like resin BJDs and they can wear Blythe clothes so it's easy to find nice outfits for them. But if there's an expensive resin doll you love, just save up bit by bit. Dolly dreams do come true! Also, some doll companies have contests; a friend of mine has won 2 free BJDs. Both are really nice, beautiful dolls with a combined worth of almost $1,000! So keep checking on the doll maker's websites for contests, you never know!
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Zoundz

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
Ooh - contests sound good... where would I look? I'm really really really new to all of this (as you can see!)

xx
Bongo Fury Rattery - Small hobby rattery in West Cork. Breeding for Russian Silver and related varieties, also working towards Pearl and Cinnamon Pearl.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »
Let's see, the two companies my friend won dolls from were Bambicrony and Buddydoll. A good place to start looking is Den of Angels wiki. It lists all BJD makers. Check out the doll companies to see what interests you and start stalking their web sites! Magical Angel doll also had a free doll contest recently. Some smaller doll makers like Angel Egg have contests that they post on facebook. Also, a lot of companies have Christmas and New Year's events, so the holidays are a good time to find good deals.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »
But if there's an expensive resin doll you love, just save up bit by bit. Dolly dreams do come true!

This is so true. I had been contemplating a resin BJD for a couple of years and always had a "dream" doll that I thought I'd never be able to afford. I was planning to buy myself something smaller and cheaper, but in the end I decided it was worth it to save for the doll I realy wanted. I only have onre resin BJD and I could not be happier :)

Offline Zoundz

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »
Thanks for that link... am looking and would spend thousands withi 10 mins... *argh*

xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal