collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shimmer ponies and acetone and tackiness  (Read 806 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Shimmer ponies and acetone and tackiness
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:15:30 AM »
Okay I have NO idea.

I've cleaned her down and she's painted and ready to be sealed, and all i've done is painted her cutie mark because shimmer ponies, yay!

BUT.

She's got a slight stickiness/tackiness to her and it's VERY frustrating. I ran over her with a touch of acetone on a cotton ball, and now the whole of her is tackine, I've even washed her with mildy warm soapy water. and I don't know what to do! I dont' want to ruin all my hard work, it had taken me weeks to paint her and i've restarted countless times.  What could be causing the tackiness?

Also when I cleaned her again with the acetone, her body colour was coming off onto the cotton ball! but like, her leg was still yellow. like it stained the cotton ball. I believe she is a tool roola g3.  Does anybody know anything that could help me?

Post Merge: April 11, 2013, 05:16:46 AM

edit: she's pretty much complete, all she needs is hair D:

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Shimmer ponies and acetone and tackiness
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:20:49 AM »
Did you repaint all of her? A small amount of acetone on an unpainted pony shouldn't go tacky if you washed it off, but if it's a full body paint and you've gone over the paint with acetone it will be sticky. Think of when you remove nail polish, after that first swipe the polish left on your nail will be tacky :) the acetone eats paint.

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:36:52 AM »
Did you repaint all of her? A small amount of acetone on an unpainted pony shouldn't go tacky if you washed it off, but if it's a full body paint and you've gone over the paint with acetone it will be sticky. Think of when you remove nail polish, after that first swipe the polish left on your nail will be tacky :) the acetone eats paint.

Nope, like I said, I just did the cutie marks, and under the paint is gesso to hold it down.

Post Merge: April 11, 2013, 05:40:05 AM

because she is a shimmer pony, I just wanted to keep things simple and just add cutie marks to her and eye coloured eyes and a rehair.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:40:05 AM by bagheera86 »

Offline kezrob23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:50:49 AM »
Lol, my bad, I got confused cause you said yellow and toola roola - she's either pink or purple :) but anyways, that's no biggie, I had something similar happen with a gold coloured shimmer, I had it soaking in fabric softener for over a week. It took alot of the shimmer off, but didn't leave it sticky, so it kinda makes me think the shimmer is a "removable" layer and the acetone has semi eaten it away.

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 06:13:10 AM »
Lol, my bad, I got confused cause you said yellow and toola roola - she's either pink or purple :) but anyways, that's no biggie, I had something similar happen with a gold coloured shimmer, I had it soaking in fabric softener for over a week. It took alot of the shimmer off, but didn't leave it sticky, so it kinda makes me think the shimmer is a "removable" layer and the acetone has semi eaten it away.

Darn. DARN IT ALL. but I see sparkles on the inside also? orz woe is my life. The one decent pony I make... and it's sticky forever. Do you think a coat of lacquer/varnish/finish would help and stop the stickiness? or will the acetone have gotten in the pours and eat away at it forever.

well then! I MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN HER NAME MIXED UP. ARGGGHHH HOW EMBARRESSING. XD She's a yellow shimmer pony haha! *hides under a rock.

Offline kezrob23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 06:39:51 AM »
Lmao!!!! It's really hard to describe, but the one I had half was soaking half was above the surface. It all still looked shimmery, but the half that had been in soak was duller. You can always try sealing your painted areas, and giving it another good scrub with soap and water. I'm not sure if sealing all of it would help, cause if it is acetone still on the pony, it will prolly eat into the sealer too.

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 10:22:49 AM »
The problem is most likely with the bait itself.  Recently a lot of people are experiencing tacky shimmer ponies in general, not just ones used in customizing.  It appears that whatever they used when manufacturing them is starting to break down already.  Like leaking plasticizer in a G1. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »
Just to clarify, is this the sort of "Shimmer" pony you mean?

If so, Pyllie is right, it's just how those ponies are behaving over time.  Sticky and gummy to the touch.  It doesn't seem to be anything on the surface of these ponies, cause when you cut them apart (don't ask LOL) they are still having those same issues throughout the plastic.  You could try to coat her in a sealant, like Testors Dullcote to at least reduce the sticky temporarily.

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »
yeah, i was going to suggest giving her a full seal (Dullcote or mod podge) and hoping that cuts out the stickyness

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »
try boiling her

I had one that was tacky after acetone and I was planning on dying her anyway....I boiled water (with dye), dyed her, and no more tackiness (at least for the past 2 months).

*edit - oh but you've already painted her...well, for future ones, try boiling.
otherwise, I suggest sealing the whole pony
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:03:13 AM by Roogna »

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »
try boiling her

I had one that was tacky after acetone and I was planning on dying her anyway....I boiled water (with dye), dyed her, and no more tackiness (at least for the past 2 months).

*edit - oh but you've already painted her...well, for future ones, try boiling.
otherwise, I suggest sealing the whole pony

I coudl try half boiling her, I mean, I've baked before with this paint and all it did was go extra shiny. because she wasn't sticky while I was painting and all of a sudden she was, and I was thinking of selling her but. If she's sticky she'll collect dust and ARGH! GUESS i'll have to make another =-=;; this is the bait i'm using.visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 06:17:42 PM »
The stickiness is likely plastizer leak (however it's spelled)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
The stickiness is likely plastizer leak (however it's spelled)

darn it. urgh. orz, guess I'll have to make a different one to sell.

Offline kezrob23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »
I'd try giving it a good wash first - as you said when you wiped it yellow came off, I don't think it would be plastic breakdown yet. And try sealing it - wait a day or so and see if the stickiness comes back. Can't hurt to try, and may save you starting again :)

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 09:07:29 PM »
I'd try giving it a good wash first - as you said when you wiped it yellow came off, I don't think it would be plastic breakdown yet. And try sealing it - wait a day or so and see if the stickiness comes back. Can't hurt to try, and may save you starting again :)

I have washed it quite a few times now, I guess i'll try that as well and see. :( I did boil it like suggested, with like a pair of tonges holding it in there so the paintjob isn't ruined. I'm just waiting for to dry.

Starting again WOULD be a real pain haha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal