collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dolls you ended up liking much more than you thought you would  (Read 1190 times)

Shahaila

• Trade Count: (0)
Nana-Rena brought up a really interesting side note in another thread about how the Ghouls look better once out of the box.  I totally agree with this and for me personally it has resulted in me really liking certain dolls much more once I de-boxed them.  Skelita is probably the most extreme example of this for me.  I went from being on the fence about her to her becoming my favorite doll to play with (meaning change her clothes regularly and constantly fussing over her hair and poses LOL).  Where most of my dolls are perfectly happy in their cool outfits posed and displayed Skeli gets moved from room to room and I sometimes even bring her into the office and display her on my desk for the day.

I would love to hear others stories of a MH doll that won you over and your story :)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Dolls you ended up liking much more than you thought you would
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »
Dot Dead Gorgeous Draculaura.

When I got the DDG 3-pack I initially just wanted the stock and sell off or customize the dolls. But when I saw Lala I just had to keep her. I used to have a Skull Shores lala I had dressed in her Day at the Maul fashion, but she soon got replaced by DDG Lala. I gave her her 2.0 earrings, a little Dracula cape and painted her shoes a bit - now she's my favorite Lala out of all the releases *g*

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
For me it has to be signature Cöawdeen. when I bought her, I just got her to have a Clawdeen. Then I deboxed her and... Wpw! she is super cool! I used to think that her outfit was kind of loud and kitchy, but now i love it and think she's edgy. I like her faceup too. She has an elegant and still wolfish face. I absolutely love her1

The other one this happened to would be Purrsephone and Mewlody. I got them because they were on sale. simple as that. Now after posing and posting them to a thread here, I love them! i used to think they were sort of bland and boring, but now after handling them, I love them to bits!

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
For me it's Catrine de Mew, when I saw pics of her online and found out she was another Walmart exclusive(not impressed after the Cupid debacle) I was like "I'll probably never get her", plus I was not impressed by a FOURTH Werecat(i mean really 4 now 5 werecats?!) But now she's out and is center of my display and whenever I look over at the collection she always catches my eye. I also love her lil sketches that she comes with, so cool that she's an artist...White werecats with tassle themed heels RULE!

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
I would have to say Cleo in general, although 2.0 was the one that got me started. I really was not interested in her - she didn't look like a monster at all, and I  thought her face was strange, too distinctive or something. Or maybe it was that half of the Cleos I saw were wall-eyed :P But my boyfriend found a Sig. 2.0 Cleo at walmart and bought her for me because he knew I didn't have that character. And...something about her really clicked! She's so gorgeous and what I originally thought was strange about her face became what I loved in her. Plus, the 2.0 has such a fierce faceup, those wonderful asymmetrical bangs...she did everything perfectly. Soon after I went a little Cleo crazy, and soon I will (just waiting for Gloom Beach to arrive in the mail) have every Cleo released so far :D I haven't even done that with Lagoona or Spectra, my original favorite characters.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

faunabay

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »
Mine is DC Howleen. 

I got her to use as an experiment doll....the first one I'd wash and restyle the hair.  Since I'd never done it before I thought if I ruined it on Howleen no big deal.   :P  So I washed out her hair and it was SO soft!   Then I started playing with her clothes, changing outfits back and forth.  Then started changing around her hair.  And I was totally hooked!   :blush:

Now I've got the werewolf sister pack on it's way to me so I can have her sig doll.  And am very happily looking forward to getting the 13 Wishes one as soon as it comes out. 

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
There is a 13 Wishes Howleen? I totally missed that. Off to google her...

faunabay

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 09:56:18 AM »
There is a 13 Wishes Howleen? I totally missed that. Off to google her...
From what I've read it seems like they have Howleen as the whole start to the 13 wishes storyline.  She finds a genie lamp and starts all sorts of trouble with it.   :P   I think that's how Lagoona gets turned into a fresh water Ghoul.   

elonni

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
I think for me it is Picture Day Cleo. I never cared much for Cleo (my favorite characters are Spectra, Lagoona, Ghoulia), but when I was opening dolls with Nana-Rena a couple of weeks back, I deboxed PD Cleo and once I held her in my hand and turned her around, I thought "she is really cool". I loved her hair and the royal blue/gold outfit. A couple days later I got my own! :)

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
I did not like the Werecat sisters at first.  I bought a pack at TRU because I heard they were hard to find at the time, and then sold it on ebay.  Then when Catrine came out, I really started to appreciate the cats.  TRU had in more Werecat sisters so I broke down and bought a pack to go with my Catrine and Toralei.  Now I love the cats and want Catty Noir!

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
Ghoulia, Deuce, Clawd (don't have him, but now I want him!!) ... GR Clawdeen ... all the Roller Maze girls... the werecat twins.. oh, and Robecca!

I guess I have a bad habit of falling in love with ALL the ghouls once I get them into my hands! XD

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
I guess I have a bad habit of falling in love with ALL the ghouls once I get them into my hands! XD

This happens to me too  :blush:

For me, it was sig Howleen! When the promo pics of her came out I was very meh on her, and decided not to bother trying to get her. But last year I decided I did kinda like her and wanted her for the different body type... and as soon as I had her in my hands I ADORED her. :lovey: Now I want all the Howleens (DC is my fave so far, but 13 Wishes looks awesome)... Army of Cuteness!
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »
Sig Rochelle. I didn't really want her at first because of her "worried" look, but I ended up getting her for Christmas and she ended up being my favorite next to sig Lala! I don't know if it's just my doll, but she has SO much hair. It feels like someone went in and added 50% more plugs, which is so nice! I love her little worried look now, her big eyes, everything about her! The other was Sig Howleen. I saw the orange puff hair and thought "ugh really? pass." Well, the sister pack was another christmas gift, and I fell in love with her too! I now have the DC version too and am looking forward to her future releases.

Enuwey

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 06:34:25 AM »
Dot Dead Gorgeous Spectra. :blush:

I got her as a christmas gift last year and after a few days of her being deboxed and hanging around the coffee table while I was horribly sick with the flu and stuck on the couch I absolutely fell in love with her.

Shahaila

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:21 AM »
I am really enjoying all the stories, and glad to know I am not the only one that has had this happen.  Though Ghoulia remains my favorite character and the heart of my collection, and I do adore the other dolls in my collection there is just something very special to me about my Skelita.  I don't know if it is just my Skelita or if I would like another one if another was released, but there is just something about her that just makes me smile when I look at her.  She is my feel good doll I guess.  I feel like such a kid the way I play with her (changing her clothes, taking photos of her, etc), but I suppose my inner child has a right to have a good time too LOL.  And to think I was going to pass on getting her ... thank the powers that be for b-days and gift cards LOL.

I just wish I could connect with my PD Spactra on some level ... granted I bought her because I needed the outfit for another doll, but still I was hoping that the magic would happen when I deboxed her.  Instead I had to trim her hair to waist length (it was very ugly and scraggly and the only way to make her look good was to even it out - but it is nice and thick now), and though she looks beautiful she remains just meh to me.  I have tried various outfits on her and even bought her the Spectra Fashion pack but nothing.  I am either going to have to save her and use her as guineapig for customization if I get brave enough, or hope to trade her to someone who would enjoy her.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:53:03 AM by Shahaila »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal