collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Soooo...straw curls?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline SALTY5621

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Tastes good in your mouth
    • View Profile
Re: Soooo...straw curls?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 04:54:06 AM »
i use straws and hair... pin... thingies...

i wet the hair, wrap it tightly around the straws, let it dry, dunk in hot water, sometimes dunk in cold water (though it doesnt seem to matter either way), and let it sit to dry for... about a day or 2

spookysage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 05:54:57 AM »
I couldn't find our hairpins (and I know for a fact we have a jumbo card of them!), so I've used pipe cleaners. To hold the curl shut I (sharply) bent the ends up and over and twisted them together, then trimmed the pipe cleaners unless I needed them to hold the curl against the pony a certain way. Although I've found the hairpins since, and I do have one of those big plastic Pixi Stix around here I ought to try, it's like a jumbo straw...

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »
I'm more of a "watch and learn" type girl. :blush: I could read manuals all day and still not have a clue about how to do...  :huh:. I'd love to try boil curls so I got a ton of straws and bobby pins. I just have to get off my seat and do it.
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:02 AM »
If you're worried about the paper towels falling apart, you can try parchment paper.

I used regular printing paper for mine. Yeah, it fell apart, but not too badly. :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
I think over the years its become something which people tweak to suit their abilities, preferences and sometimes what they even have to hand.

I have always used JupiterLilys straw curl guide but, like others, have tweaked it to suit me; for example after the final stage I do always poor over super warm water to set the curls [yes this dampens the kitchen roll - but the key is to use good quality towel and then it simply soaks it up and doesnt melt away]. I also leave the hair to set and dry for a full week.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
I've actually used the base of my (round) toothbrush to set curls on, it was handy when i was cleaning in the bathroom, but it does make it really inconvenient if you don't have a spare one, like I do in my travel kit! I went in the next morning and was like 'ahh, crud, little flitter has my toothbrush on her tail!' LOL, the curl was gorgeous though! Point is, you can wrap the hair around anything and just use hot water to set, and let it dry naturally.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:52:17 PM by Stormness_1 »

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »
I use paper towels in my straw curls. I normally wash the ponies hair. (If it is already clean, I just wet the hair with luke warm water. Nothing on the extreme heat or cold). I take the piece of hair wrap around the straw and use the paper to stop from fly a ways and getting all the hair. I then use a tiny rubber band and secure the paper towel and hair. I leave them in sometimes for a week:) I do have a little spray/misting bottle. I keep all the curls in and on the paper towels and mist the hair. The water is normally luke warm. Let is air dry for a few more days. I have had curls stay with this method. I do have a G3 Pinkie Pie that just went flat with curls...but it was over a year ago that I had done it:) Here is a picture of a few curl projects that I have done:)

The pinkie on the left lost her curls. The pink on the right still has them and its been a year:P

She still looks that way, and I got her in Sept at a rummage sale:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 10:26:59 PM »
Thank you guys so much for sharing your pictures along with your comments! I know discussions like this have popped up way too often, especially since straw curls aren't really that difficult to do, but I really appreciate all your guys' input and your help. I have way too many ponies here in need of some gorgeous styling and I finally have the time to get started!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal