collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Identity Crisis Skelita?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Hunter-Rose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Identity Crisis Skelita?
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:50:27 AM »
I've been looking up Skelita online because my parents said I could get her for Easter, and she's called Skeletrina everywhere I've looked. Does anyone know if its a UK thing or a prototype name or anything. I know its no big deal but I'm really curious, I've had a wee look around already and I haven't seen anything about it.  :huh:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Identity Crisis Skelita?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:15:36 AM »
Skeletrina sounds like a fan name.. Skelita has a name branded on her skull under her hair, Katrina. I think traditional Day of the Dead skulls have the name of the person written on them.. (Someone else posted that tidbit, and I am not sure I am remembering it 100% correctly.) Which would mean that when she was alive, she was named Katrina. The name on the box, at least here in the USA, is Seklita.. and since she is Skelita in the movie, I would assume she would be labeled as Skelita no matter the country.

JustHereForPictures

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:38:12 AM »
UK person here.

I've only seen her called Skelita on boxes.

Shahaila

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:30:31 AM »
Skeletrina sounds like a fan name.. Skelita has a name branded on her skull under her hair, Katrina. I think traditional Day of the Dead skulls have the name of the person written on them.. (Someone else posted that tidbit, and I am not sure I am remembering it 100% correctly.) Which would mean that when she was alive, she was named Katrina. The name on the box, at least here in the USA, is Seklita.. and since she is Skelita in the movie, I would assume she would be labeled as Skelita no matter the country.
That is really interesting thanks for sharing!  I love my Skelita so learning this tid bits about her is really fun.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:59 AM »

*Runs to inspect her Skelita doll's scalp*

*Finds out that this is true*

*Mind = blown*  :shocked: This is AMAZING.

Offline Hunter-Rose

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »
Thanks for that info Maniah, I guess I didn't make myself too clear :P On the sites I've been on (Argos, Woolworths etc) the item listing has shown her as being called Skeletrina but the pictures of the boxes show her name as Skelita. The beginning of the google search looks like this:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

But I also found out there's a Tokidoki toy called Skeletrina, maybe the retailers got confused? Does anyone know who manufactures the Tokidoki merch?

This is all so strange  :what:

bluegeist

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »
Oh man, that is such a cool detail. Although gotta say, it's kind of weird to have two characters with almost the same names (Skelita as Katrine and Catrine DeMew). It is pretty funny how those retailers somehow mixed the names together, how did that happen?

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »
To what Maniah said - It looks like Skeletrina is a portmanteau of "Skelita" and "Katrina." :) Curious that she's being listed as such, but also super interesting!

I did a Google Search like you did, and it looks like even amazon.co.uk has her listed with her "new" name! Occasionally, toys and products get renamed when released abroad. The fact that the box art still says "Skelita" just means that they used the original photos of the product from its release. Perhaps she actually did undergo some kind of name change in her journey to Europe!

Is Skelita on store shelves yet in the UK? Maybe someone can help us shed light on this!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
I'm in the UK and every Skelita I've seen has been called "Skelita" on her box. I assumed 'Skeletrina' was a prototype name, kind of like how Spectra's original surname was "Von Hauntington" or w/e.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
Skeletrina is such a fabulous name!

Offline Hunter-Rose

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I know! I don't know which I like better :P

Refuse to Dance

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
When hearing Skelita in the show, her name sounds like the Spanish normie equivalent Celita. So I think the "Katrina" skull name was just for the doll and to show an appreciation for sugar skulls. Because in the show it shows her Abuelita never as a human but as a skeleton even when a little girl.

Shahaila

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 07:18:42 AM »
Skeletrina sounds like a fan name.. Skelita has a name branded on her skull under her hair, Katrina.
Where under her hair is it branded?  I have looked at mine but have not found the brand  :(

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »
on the back of her head where the hair is rooted (the black part). The only way you'd notice it is A) if you're looking for it or B) you dehaired your doll. Even then, it is very lightly imprinted.

Shahaila

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »
on the back of her head where the hair is rooted (the black part). The only way you'd notice it is A) if you're looking for it or B) you dehaired your doll. Even then, it is very lightly imprinted.
Thank you I found it  :) .... just looked for it did not dehair my Skeli LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal