collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What other languages do you speak?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline SALTY5621

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Tastes good in your mouth
    • View Profile
Re: What other languages do you speak?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 05:18:08 AM »
im a dabbler so a bit of everything. most prominantly, Asian languages. my favourites are Japanese and Korean

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
I'm only fluent in English.

I can understand written French to some degree, because I took several years of it in school, but oh gods don't ask me to write it or speak it....

Right now I'm trying to learn Norwegian. I can understand some spoken Norwegian, and speak it a little, but reading and writing is incredibly hard because I haven't done much of that. So, I'm going to have to concentrate on that more, now. Learning things takes much more time than I really have available, but I'm trying.

Sorry to be nosy, but why do you want to learn norwegian? I think Norwegian can be quite difficult to learn as the grammar is built differently from english. My partner is english and he struggels to learn. But I think he would have a hard time with any new language, some people have more talent for languages.

Actually Norwegian is quite easy to learn for an English speaker (I have a lot of experience in this as I studied Scandinavian languages at the university). Norwegian, Danish and Swedish all have grammar that is very similar to English (if you compare English to any other language) and the grammar is generally pretty straight forward (again, compared to other indo-european languages :) ). Danish of course is very difficult to get a hang of because of the pronunciation and i guess Norwegian can be tricky depending on the dialect and the mere fact that Bokmål that we learn in language courses is not really a good representation of most Norwegian dialects.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
Yes, I'm starting to learn Swedish myself.  I should know my mother tongue!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline safrania9898

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 07:56:52 AM »
 French is my first language, I am fluent in English and I know a bit of Spanish.

nollilols

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 08:16:33 AM »
English is the only language I speak fluently, but I could communicate in Irish.

Offline ladyfenrir

• Trade Count: (+139)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ladyfenrir/
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
well... let's see...

icelandic is my native language, so I'm obviously fluent there.
english... been using english daily since age 12/13, so am fluent.
danish... I've been learning danish since around age 10 or so, and can read it fluently and am pretty good at writing in it, speaking not so much due to lack of practice. :)
swedish, norwegian and faroese... excellent understanding of all of these.
italian... I've finished three courses and would say I'm a bit more than a beginner; same goes for german, spanish, french, and japanese.

yes, I am a bit of a language nut!
~*~ladyfenrir's G1 wish list~*~

Formerly known as "svarta-perlan"

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
Finnish (fluent, native language),
English (decent, studied 8 years and use daily to write, read and listen),
German (studied 5 years, can understand some of it but forgot how to speak or write it),
Swedish (studied 3 years, can understand a bit but I don't speak it).
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline Amsel

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://yuuago.livejournal.com
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »
I'm only fluent in English.

Right now I'm trying to learn Norwegian. I can understand some spoken Norwegian, and speak it a little, but reading and writing is incredibly hard because I haven't done much of that. So, I'm going to have to concentrate on that more, now. Learning things takes much more time than I really have available, but I'm trying.

Sorry to be nosy, but why do you want to learn norwegian? I think Norwegian can be quite difficult to learn as the grammar is built differently from english. My partner is english and he struggels to learn. But I think he would have a hard time with any new language, some people have more talent for languages.

I wanted to learn a Scandinavian language because I'm interested in that part of the world, and decided to do Norwegian because it's my favourite. (I like Danish and Swedish too, but Norwegian has an extra special something to the way it sounds!)

While it's quite different from modern English, I find that in many ways Norwegian shares similarities with Middle English (the medieval form of English), which I've studied in the past. Grammar/sentence structure... Even vocabulary. Sometimes I'll be watching a Norwegian film or something and hear a word that I can recognize, not because I've ever heard it in the context of learning Norwegian, but because I recognize it from Middle English.

On the other hand, I do struggle with it - but that is because I don't have a lot of time to study. I think I'd have an easier time if my life weren't so busy! I do find it easier than French, though. (But then again, I do not get along very well with Latin-based languages in general).

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
While it's quite different from modern English, I find that in many ways Norwegian shares similarities with Middle English (the medieval form of English), which I've studied in the past. Grammar/sentence structure... Even vocabulary. Sometimes I'll be watching a Norwegian film or something and hear a word that I can recognize, not because I've ever heard it in the context of learning Norwegian, but because I recognize it from Middle English.

High five for a fellow ME student! :D Well, I've only touched the surface so far and actually I'm most interested in Old English, but Middle English has a special flavour of its own. I was going to write my MA thesis on an Old English topic but ended up working with a Middle English text instead. I'm focusing on the physical properties of the manuscripts rather than the language form, though, so it's not like I'm going to be an expert on ME anytime soon. ;)

I'm a native Finnish speaker. I consider myself "advanced" in English and German; I study both of these at the uni. Although, now that I've completed my German studies I struggle to keep my skills active, and my German has never been as good as my English, even though I started learning it earlier (German at 9, English at 11 yrs.). I still make stupid mistakes in grammar and my vocabulary is terribly lacking. I think most if it has to do with the fact that here you get to see and hear English daily (from TV etc.) but in order to get input in German you need to be active yourself - find books to read, TV shows to watch and so on. And I'm not too interested in crime/detective stories, a genre apparently cherished by the German. ;) 

I also know Swedish (I used to be very good at it but I haven't been using it much for several years), some basics of Latin and Mandarin Chinese, and for some years I've been trying to learn some Scottish Gaelic just for the fun of it because I love Gaelic music. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to actively study it, by now I've probably forgot what little I ever learned.

I've always been interested in languages and unlike many learners, I love grammar - I find the relationships between languages and their stuctures fascinating. Speaking has never been my forte, and I'm often shy when it comes to speaking, as I'm one of those people who always aim at accuracy and avoiding mistakes. Not the best strategy, I know... I have also been wary of speaking because of a "foreign" accent. Luckily studying some phonetics has helped me pinpoint and overcome most of the problems in pronunciation. :) 

I'd love to learn more languages but like already said, there's just not enough time for everything!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »
Wow I am surprised to not see many people who know Chinese :0 Darn I was hoping to get help with my homework! :silly:

But English is my first language and I am currently learning Chinese. I am in my third semester and will be traveling abroad to China for 5 weeks in the summer to take classes there :3 I am really excited for it! Chinese is really difficult though. xD It's so hard to memorize everything and keep it, so it will be good for me to be completely submerged in to language and culture ^^ Here's hoping to finding some awesome pony prototypes over there! :3
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »
Yo hablo un poquito de español. ;)
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
English

Decent enough Spanish. I took Spanish 6th-12th grade and it still didn't stick the best. I remember it if I use it a lot.
Some Japanese. Two college years of full immersion and I was better at this than Spanish.
A few phrases of Cantonese. I only took a few lessons with the ten day program on cd and it wasn't working for me because it was difficult to tell things like if they were using a "n" or a "m" in some of the words and you can't ask a cd questions like you can in class.

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
English

Decent enough Spanish. I took Spanish 6th-12th grade and it still didn't stick the best. I remember it if I use it a lot.
Some Japanese. Two college years of full immersion and I was better at this than Spanish.
A few phrases of Cantonese. I only took a few lessons with the ten day program on cd and it wasn't working for me because it was difficult to tell things like if they were using a "n" or a "m" in some of the words and you can't ask a cd questions like you can in class.

This has nothing to do with anything but I just noticed your sig. Again, it made me laugh so hard LOL

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »
English is really all I know. I took three years of French in HS but I never really used it outside of class so I lost most of it, though if I'm listening or reading it I can pick up a bit here and there. And due to watching Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/anime I understand a bit of Japanese here and there.. though that I want to formally learn along with Spanish.

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 06:30:43 AM »
Chinese can be very cumbersome. Unfortunately my skills have deteriorated, mostly due to disuse. I studied Mandarin Chinese as an under grad and had to quit during my MT phase. I simply did not have the time with research and writing to use eight to ten hours a week on Chinese.

The grammar wasn't all too hard, at least not compared to Korean, but learning the characters and we had 30 or so new ones every lesson, so 60 a week. I just couldn't keep up. Now I am regretting it, but still don't have enough time to devote to it. I would love to retake the courses that I had to drop a few years ago though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal